Navigator App Updates

ShipWalker

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

So today's menu will be the same as the same Tuesday day in August?  If this is the case, the app is worthless, why not give us the option to change days and see the menus all at one time?

If that Tuesday in August is the same date in the same length itinerary....that is the 3rd day of a 10 day cruise, for example, and neither is a Gala night, then the menu MIGHT be the same. But any variables, like one is a Gala Night, or one Tuesday is the first day of a cruise and the other is, for example, the fourth night of the cruise, then I seriously doubt they will be the same.

19 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If that Tuesday in August is the same date in the same length itinerary....that is the 3rd day of a 10 day cruise, for example, and neither is a Gala night, then the menu MIGHT be the same. But any variables, like one is a Gala Night, or one Tuesday is the first day of a cruise and the other is, for example, the fourth night of the cruise, then I seriously doubt they will be the same.

Thank you, I do see the menu changed today. However I saw something that surprised me. It has the Jumbo shrimp cocktail listed as an $8.50 extra charge and the surf and turf (5oz fillet and 5oz lobster tail) has a ridiculous $30 upcharge, when did all this happen? Our last HAL cruise was the summer of 2019 and I do not remember any upcharges for the surf and turf or shrimp cocktail. We had our grandson with us and he had the jumbo shrimp cocktail every night, he loves shrimp more than any seafood. Are these upcharges all post Covid?

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you, I do see the menu changed today. However I saw something that surprised me. It has the Jumbo shrimp cocktail listed as an $8.50 extra charge and the surf and turf (5oz fillet and 5oz lobster tail) has a ridiculous $30 upcharge, when did all this happen? Our last HAL cruise was the summer of 2019 and I do not remember any upcharges for the surf and turf or shrimp cocktail. We had our grandson with us and he had the jumbo shrimp cocktail every night, he loves shrimp more than any seafood. Are these upcharges all post Covid?

Thanks to covid and less people sailing there have been many changes made to the menus, also to what things have an upcharge.  Hopefully once there are more people sailing and covid becomes a thing of the past maybe there will be less upcharges.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

It's been like this since the start up.  If people will pay for it why would they ever get rid of the charge? If I'm going to pay extra for something it will be in a specialty restaurant where I feel I'm getting my money's worth.  I don't see this happening on others lines such as princess or Celebrity.  I assume they are having the same struggles as HAL.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It's been like this since the start up.  If people will pay for it why would they ever get rid of the charge? If I'm going to pay extra for something it will be in a specialty restaurant where I feel I'm getting my money's worth.  I don't see this happening on others lines such as princess or Celebrity.  I assume they are having the same struggles as HAL.

You are right, other cruise lines like Celebrity are not doing this. We were on the Celebrity Equinox last August and the jumbo Shrimp cocktail was on the everyday and room service menu with no upcharge.  We ordered the shrimp cocktails a couple of days in our cabin for a light lunch. The surf and turf in the MDR also came without an upcharge. Before I would pay $30 for S & T I would spend a few dollars more for the specialty restaurant. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

Updated to 4.11.0 on my Samsung phone with Android. What's New says:

"We've made several enhancements to the new inbox feature and fixed several bugs to make your experience even better"

Can anyone clarify whether the Navigator's inbox notifications are Push Notifications to your phone (ie you can set your phone to chime and/or vibrate when you get a new chat message)? Or do you have to constantly open the Navigator app to look for the visual indicator you have a new message waiting?

We are sailing Jun 19th on Rotterdam with several family members and want to rely on the Navigator app to communicate with each other, rather than buying the Internet package for each person to use a chat app like Whatsapp.

9 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes

If I remember right: if you are logged in on board you can see the number of messages waiting for you. (No beeps...). And even back home I could see during 3 weeks that I had a message waiting for me (could not read it of course).

My phone updated the app to 4.11.0 and now the app isn't working.  I either get a spinning wheel or the app closes itself out when I click on something.  I tried logging out, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, restarting my phone and nothing works.  I keep getting an error message when trying to log in now.  Any ideas how to fix this?

It seems to me that they have imported an outdated database during the update or before - because there was an error with the date of birth in my account (which was also in the app) I have clarified this error a few weeks ago by phone, in all accounts the date was displayed correctly - but yesterday was suddenly again the wrong date in the app.
When I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, I couldn't log in for something like 30 minutes. When I was able to log in again, the correct date of birth was shown.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, ShipWalker said:

Version 4.7.0 is now available.

"We've made several enhancements to the new inbox feature and fixed several bugs to make your experience even better."

To find your current version press "Experiences" in the center bottom banner with the ship and then press "about".

Version 4.12 is now available.

• 2 weeks later...

If you open the app and then hit the Experiences button on the bottom (looks like the HAL logo) one of the options is "About".  Click that and it'll tell you what version you have.  I think I'm set to update automatically, as mine says 4.13.

Sue/WDW1972

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 5:58 AM, terrydtx said:

Even with these updates the app is still way behind the competition and useless in my opinion.

I think it reflects their focus groups results.  HAL really needs to start surveying a different group, a group who want to use technology 

57 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

If you open the app and then hit the Experiences button on the bottom (looks like the HAL logo) one of the options is "About".  Click that and it'll tell you what version you have.  I think I'm set to update automatically, as mine says 4.13.

Sue/WDW1972

Thank you so much!  I had no idea and your explanation was perfect.  I also show 4.13 so it must update automatically as well.  

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

Up dated to 4.13 and it is still useless and geared to technology 15 years old.  It only shows the restaurant menus for the day you are looking at the app, no way to see all menus every day on our cruise. Why even bother when it can not even do this very simple act.  THIS IS THE MOST USLESS CRUISE APP I HAVE EVER USED.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Up dated to 4.13 and it is still useless and geared to technology 15 years old.  It only shows the restaurant menus for the day you are looking at the app, no way to see all menus every day on our cruise. Why even bother when it can not even do this very simple act.  THIS IS THE MOST USLESS CRUISE APP I HAVE EVER USED.

Probably you can't access the menus for the whole 7 days because they aren't set?  We know the daily menu has been changed at the last minute and the menu presented on the app is not exactly what you see in the Dining Room. This has happened but with only with one or two items on a menu.  I guess HAL wants to have the menus as accurate as possible which would be hard to do up to 7 days in advance.