Bringing Wine on board

gone2c

It's been a few years since I have cruised Royal but I am a Diamond+.  I have been elected (railroaded) into setting up a short cruise for interested people in our apartment complex.  First question is can I bring wine on board.  Does Royal still allow 1 bottle per adult to do this for free (only consumed in cabin).  I have reserved 9 cabins which constitues a group.  As I usually cruise solo are there any extras we should be given.  I need all the help I can get.  Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, gone2c said:

It's been a few years since I have cruised Royal but I am a Diamond+.  I have been elected (railroaded) into setting up a short cruise for interested people in our apartment complex.  First question is can I bring wine on board.  Does Royal still allow 1 bottle per adult to do this for free (only consumed in cabin).  I have reserved 9 cabins which constitues a group.  As I usually cruise solo are there any extras we should be given.  I need all the help I can get.  Thanks. 

You are allowed to bring two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin at the embarkation port.. A solo cruiser can bring onboard two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin. You are also allowed to pour a glass and take it into any of the venues. You don't have to just drink it in your cabin. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

You may be charged a corkage fee if bottles are open in a restaurant, but I can’t remember last time we were charged even though we always bring two bottles of wine . Again it was a long time ago that we were charged but back then it was 15.

2 hours ago, gone2c said:

Here's the official answer for you with regard to wine and other beverages.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

• Like 2

I will tell you that while the official policy is 2 bottles of wine per cabin, it is not difficult to get extra wine on board.You may have to risk losing the bottles if somebody gets strict, but they are generally not.

In the port of Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, my husband and I were traveling together. He had both bottles of wine in his carry on. Security pulled them out of his bag and inspected them to confirm they were indeed wine, and  put them back.Security didn't confirm his cabin number, and did not confirm that we were traveling together.I could have easily brought another 2 bottles in my carry on, and nobody would have known the difference.

Today at Fort Lauderdale port,I had a separate carry on with 4 bottles of wine.The security guard just asked me how many cabins I had, and I told her two. She never confirmed it.  I could have told her as many cabins as I wanted.I

Obviously,If somebody gets suspicious or wants to start asking questions, you may end up losing the wine. However, the only people that check wine are the security screeners, and they don't check who's traveling together or how many cabins you have against your sea passes.

Do with that information what you will.

• Like 3

As a D+ you also now get 5 drinks a day, any time, most bars included (not bionic) up to the value of $13.    When you get your drink make sure you tell them whether you want to use one of the D+ vouchers or not (aka don't waste them on a can of diet coke!!).

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:43 PM, davekathy said:

You are also allowed to pour a glass and take it into any of the venues. You don't have to just drink it in your cabin. 

I do not think any crew member would do anything however, technically I thought the wine had to be consumed in the cabin?

A real question, the FAQ provided by rockmom says corkscrews will be provided.  Has anyone ever gotten corkscrews from the cabin steward or have you brought your own?

I usually bring my own however if I can reliably get one on board it is one less thing I have to pack.

15 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I do not think any crew member would do anything however, technically I thought the wine had to be consumed in the cabin?

A real question, the FAQ provided by rockmom says corkscrews will be provided.  Has anyone ever gotten corkscrews from the cabin steward or have you brought your own?

I usually bring my own however if I can reliably get one on board it is one less thing I have to pack.

No the wine doesn't have to be consumed in your cabin. You can pour yourself a glass of wine and take it into any venue. If you take the bottle of wine into one of the dining venues you could be charged a corkage  fee. Think about it this way. You can buy a glass of wine at bar and walk around with it or take it into another venue. 

If you ask your cabin attendant for a corkscrew one will be provided. No cost. At least pre covid. I hate the ones the cruise lines provide and always bring my own corkscrew. My corkscrew is always in our first aid kit. Mine also has a small knife like foil cutter on it (1.25 inches long).   

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If you ask your cabin attendant for a corkscrew one will be provided. No cost. At least pre covid. I hate the ones the cruise lines provide and always bring my own corkscrew. My corkscrew is always in our first aid kit. Mine also has a small knife like foil cutter on it (1.25 inches long).   

If it is one of those corkscrews that looks like a "T"  I guess I will have to bring my own.  They don't get upset about the little knife like foil cutter?

2 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

If it is one of those corkscrews that looks like a "T"  I guess I will have to bring my own.  They don't get upset about the little knife like foil cutter?

Yes those screw in and pull out type and hope you don't hit yourself in the face when you finally get the cork to release. 😁

I've never had an issue with the corkscrew I take. It's always in my first aid kit (even if we don't bring wine onboard), in my checked luggage. The actual cork screw is longer than the small foil cutter. Never any issues. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Nope, you can take it out.  But anyway, how would they know if you poured your own in the room or got it from one of the bars?   You can take your drink away from the bar.

Now, you are supposed consume all lounge beverages in the lounge, but we have been offered glasses of wine to take to dinner.  And after the first night, they just brought us a glass of wine with our second drink. 😄

And, like others, we have never been charged a corkage fee when taking the bottle to one of the restaurants and having them open it.  Even the 1978 Mondavi that the cork fell apart and was difficult for them to deal with.

As for cork screws, yes, we have asked and gotten them.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mooreland1999 said:

Everyone bringing wine onboard, where are you getting it?  I assume it makes more sense to pick it up by the port rather then checked airplane luggage.  Any suggestions for a good liquor store close to the port of Miami?

In Florida, you can buy wine at any grocery store.  The closest to the port is Publix at 1764 Biscayne Boulevard.  I believe that Publix also has a liquor store next door where you can buy wine as well as spirits.  Happy cruising! 🍷

8 hours ago, davekathy said:

No the wine doesn't have to be consumed in your cabin. You can pour yourself a glass of wine and take it into any venue. If you take the bottle of wine into one of the dining venues you could be charged a corkage  fee. Think about it this way. You can buy a glass of wine at bar and walk around with it or take it into another venue. 

I always have a wine opener in my pocket, I have to remember to not take it on airplane since they would confiscate it , lost a few that way. So I just pack it in checked luggage, cruise line will not confiscate them. 

• Like 1

It is not a big deal with fly with wine.  It has to be in checked bags, unless you buy it in the airport.

My luggage is hard sided and I just make sure it is not against the luggage, and I wrap it in tshirts or other clothes.

In a LOT of air travel, I have only had 2 bottles break.  One was at the corner of a soft side that they dropped on that corner.  I saw that happen.

And the other was a bottle that appeared to have just shattered.  My clothes smelled so nice, as it was a brandy. 😄

Both happened on the way home, so no big deal.

If you are worried, you can get bottle packers off Amazon.  They inflate to protect the bottle, but do take up a good bit of room.

Another way to deal with the possibility of a broken bottle is plastic bags.  Bottle inside, twisted and tied.  At least 2 bags, and preferably heavier weight bags.

9 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

To be clear.. My wife and I (in one cabin) could carry on two bottles of wine AND one 12 pack of water if we wanted, correct? 

Two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin and you are also allowed to bring a 12 pack of 17 oz bottles of water per cabin. 

• Thanks 1

We always bring 2 bottles of champagne, the real stuff not bubbly Californian. 

1 for the sail away in the Voyager lounge, or as high as we can get.

2nd for a special dinner in a steakhouse maybe.

We ask for 2 champagne flutes and an ice bucket, they mention the corkage charge but I can't recall ever paying it.

Usually tip the person helping with the ice ect.

9 minutes ago, Magnetchief said:

We always bring 2 bottles of champagne, the real stuff not bubbly Californian. 

1 for the sail away in the Voyager lounge, or as high as we can get.

2nd for a special dinner in a steakhouse maybe.

We ask for 2 champagne flutes and an ice bucket, they mention the corkage charge but I can't recall ever paying it.

Usually tip the person helping with the ice ect.

A few have posted the same experiences with the corkage fee being waved, but the corkage fee is still a published cost and shouldn't ever make the assume it won't be charged. Even if the server doesn't uncork the bottle and just pours, the corkage fee still can apply. Just like with the C&A HH drinks, tips should be given as the servers aren't getting gratuities and same with the server opening and or pouring the wine/champagne brought onboard, no matter the dining venue.