NCL Drop Masks Mandate as of March 1st - Will HAL Follow?

Spire2000

I’m complete fine with the mask policy. Like many people have said it’s the Covid testing before the cruise that is the annoying part. I feel like if you have had your booster then the testing should be waived but that’s my opinion. 

• Like 11

For me, the ideal situation would be requiring double vaccinations and boosted prior to arrival.  On arrival, you are tested at the pier.  Once onboard, no masks.  If someone does get Covid, they are isolated until they have no symptoms and test negative.  No more ten days in solitary.  Omicron is a much milder version for those fully vaccinated, we need to adopt protocols accordingly.

• Like 26

I certainly hope that HAL follows suit.  I may still get resistance from DH on testing requirements so hope that gets dropped too.  In all honesty I’d be fine if all requirements were dropped.  If you done what’s best for you that’s all one can ask.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Spire2000 said:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/are-face-coverings-required

Today's announcement removes mandatory masking on NCL cruises as of March 1st (also a few details about children in there).

Do we think this is an industry-wide change coming, or an experiment by a line that needs customers?

Probably not.  Remember that NCL, Celebrity and Royal, were mostly mask free going into the Christmas holidays, then added masks when their case counts went up with Omicron.

Princess and HAL have had mask requirements all throughout the restart.  Expect Princess and Hal to drop them when the CDC guidance changes, not before.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

For me, the ideal situation would be requiring double vaccinations and boosted prior to arrival.  On arrival, you are tested at the pier.  Once onboard, no masks.  If someone does get Covid, they are isolated until they have no symptoms and test negative.  No more ten days in solitary.  Omicron is a much milder version for those fully vaccinated, we need to adopt protocols accordingly.

That is almost happening.

10 days is gon.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I certainly hope that HAL follows suit.  I may still get resistance from DH on testing requirements so hope that gets dropped too.  In all honesty I’d be fine if all requirements were dropped.  If you done what’s best for you that’s all one can ask.

After the last two years I have zero faith that people will do the right thing.  It’s not just you, we are all in this mess together.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, smbt1 said:

Probably not.  Remember that NCL, Celebrity and Royal, were mostly mask free going into the Christmas holidays, then added masks when their case counts went up with Omicron.

Princess and HAL have had mask requirements all throughout the restart.  Expect Princess and Hal to drop them when the CDC guidance changes, not before.

We were on the first cruise in the restart on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Masks were not required once we boarded the ship.  The shops in Alaska asked us to wear our masks when we came into the stores but no masks were worn on the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

That would be great if it only affected your health.  But, with this virus, your health affects my health.  I need you to be healthy to protect me.  We need to work together and protect each other.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Spire2000 said:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/are-face-coverings-required

Today's announcement removes mandatory masking on NCL cruises as of March 1st (also a few details about children in there).

Do we think this is an industry-wide change coming, or an experiment by a line that needs customers?

I ready for them to drop all testing and masking requirements.    Keep the vaccination requirement but let everything else go.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, HenryKisor said:

I'm hoping that in June HAL will require masks INSIDE the ship but make them optional on the outside decks and the open pool deck. A nice sea breeze will help immensely.

They are not required outside right now "unless you are in a large gathering and can't maintain physical distancing".   Here is the current HAL mask requirement

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/covid-guest-protocols.html

"All guests regardless of age will be required to wear face masks at all times in elevators and in all indoor areas of the ship, except when eating or drinking or in their own staterooms. This includes wearing face masks prior to being seated in all dining venues and Lido Market, while dancing in public lounges, and outdoors if in large gatherings and physical distancing cannot be maintained"

• Like 1

I'm generally pro-mask, and I think things would be much better if more people took protective measures. That said, I can't bring myself to care anymore. It's probably better for my mental state this way. Now when I see someone not wearing a mask indoors, I'm not nearly as vexed by it as I was a few months ago. I just don't want to be bothered with someone else's misinterpretation of the need for masks.

However, I have a cruise on HAL scheduled for late March. If HAL were to change policies, I would expect them to offer full refunds (not a FCC) to those who disagree with such a change. I won't care, but other people might and changing the rules after final payment isn't fair.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Hi All,

I can't imagine anyone who is happy that Covid exists, who wants to have to be vaccinated, who has to be tested, who wants to wear masks,  bring proof of vaccination everywhere.   I certainly would prefer to avoid all of the above.  What you are forgetting is that some ports will be requiring masks and testing.  If we feel like not wearing masks and there is a spread of the virus, well what do we do then, what ports will take us.  We have the luxury of being able to be vaccinated, most of the world is not as lucky as us, most of the world is not vaccinated to the percentage that we all are.  We are all in this together.  If you want to be selfish and not think of other passengers, but certainly do your part to protect the crew, who are like sitting ducks. Some people, I can't believe how self centered and selfish you are.  Grow up, act like adults instead of spoiled children.  By the way I am fully vaccinated with booster and have no co-morbidities and I am probably about 20 years younger than the average HAL passenger.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Common sense says if you've been vaccinated and test negative,  then masks aren't needed. There is a slight problem with the testing as you do have a 48 hour window where you still can get exposed to the virus. IMHO the answer and solution is that all passengers should be rapid tested at the pier at the expense of the cruise lines .

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

Sorry, but it's not my job as a stranger to protect you........Our country has always been about individual freedom. And that's the only reason I will give up my rights for a stranger - to protect their freedom. If you are too fragile to place yourself on a cruise ship after being fully immunized and wearing a properly fitted N95 mask, then you should not put yourself in that situation. I shouldn't be forced to wear a mask because of another person's health concerns / issues. BTW - I'm fully vaccinated and boosted and have no co-morbidities.

So just run red lights, drive drunk, yell fire in crowded theatres....there are very valid reasons that FREEDOMS have had restrictions for thousands of years and society has required that certain freedoms carry with them responsibilities to think about someone other than yourself.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

While I personally prefer to not wear a mask, I will always comply with what ever mask rules are in place for the cruise line or port.   I feel very safe without a mask in any setting since I am fully vaccinated/boosted.

I am ok with other people choosing to wear a mask, even if not required.  

• Like 7