Darn! Just ready to hit the buy button and need your advice

Markanddonna

We were planning on taking our 8 year old granddaughter on a cruise in mid-March and were ready to hit the buy button today. We just found out she has Covid but without symptoms.  Would you guess (I know most of you are physicians) that she should be negative by then? Her vaccinated mother has COVID and is feeling lousy. 

1 hour ago, travelingman said:

Based on relatives. friends and reading about others I would say she will definitely be negative by March, unless she contracts it again.

The better question, I think, is will she be dealing with long term COVID effects and will she feel like going?

Stan

We have an unvaccinated friend who has long COVID since Christmas. His wife was the one who seemed most in danger because of an autoimmune illness. She is unvaxxed but fine. He was healthy and now is really struggling. 

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

(I know most of you are physicians) 

🤣!      My Magna Cum Lousy M. D. degree was received from the well known University of Timbuktu, but I did not take the class on crystal ball reading.  

Seriously, though, I understand your predicament.  When to travel and what to do in these serious times is difficult to determine.  Good wishes for the proper outcome for whatever decision you make.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We were planning on taking our 8 year old granddaughter on a cruise in mid-March and were ready to hit the buy button today. We just found out she has Covid but without symptoms.  Would you guess (I know most of you are physicians) that she should be negative by then? Her vaccinated mother has COVID and is feeling lousy. 

Does the cruise line offer a Covid cancellation policy that will cover your fares and any other out of pocket expenses if any of your party tests positive prior to boarding?  If so I think I would chance it.  If not, no way.

I hope your granddaughter continues to be asymptomatic and that her mom is on the road to recovery.

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

Does the cruise line offer a Covid cancellation policy that will cover your fares and any other out of pocket expenses if any of your party tests positive prior to boarding?  If so I think I would chance it.  If not, no way.

I hope your granddaughter continues to be asymptomatic and that her mom is on the road to recovery.

Surely you would take out an insurance policy to cover this eventuality? 

What cruise line? Carnival is now offering (not sure of the start date) a proof of recovery exemption. Need a confirmed pos test and letter from physician stating recovered. People do sometimes test pos for up to 90 days with PCR. Apparently often enough for Carnival to allow this,

• Thanks 2

You don't mention the Cruise Line, but I read that on Carnival, if someone had Covid within 3 months and are symptoms free, vaccinated OR unvaccinated, can now cruise without even taken a Covid test. But please check with Carnival first. (Paste and copy the following into your browser)

www.cruisehive.com/carnival-lines-exempts-recently-recovered-guests-from-testing/6522

Princess (a Carnival Corporation cruise line) also has an updated policy for those who have recovered from Covid but are still testing positive.  That does not waive the requirement to be vaccinated for passengers 5 and older (younger passengers are not allowed since a vaccine for them is not yet available).

67A28AA2-76DC-495D-8BD2-68806B45684D.thumb.png.580529440e59a3ad98a8d8c613eae434.png

On 2/8/2022 at 7:25 PM, CPT Trips said:

Substitute ships for states

A3FF027D-686C-4C82-822E-F3BC15E50928.jpeg.c1a523a685ac66ccdd67706b3ef385dd.jpeg

Wait some and test.

I thought about the "Hunger Games" reference as well.  I sure hope those odds are in my favor as it relates to cruising as I am going this Saturday for the first time since pre pandemic.

• Like 1

There is a chance that a PCR test will test positive for up to 90 days after infection. an antigen test likely to be negative after 10 days.

So it depends on what type of test, if any, the cruise line you are travelling with requires to board. And if any of the ports have any test requirements.

No test is required to return to the US by sea, but for anyone who is flying into the USA they can use a positive test result & a fit to travel certificate within 90 days of a positive test result.