Best and worst food on Celebrity buffet

dgoz

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were on Millennium in October and one afternoon they had British Day at Ocean View.  

They had Pot Pies - Beef, Chicken and Vegetable.     We both agreed they were the best Pot Pies we have ever had.   We will be keeping our eyes out for them on our next cruises.

We were on Reflection on Pi Day in 2020 just before the shut down. The pot pies were exceptional, hope we get them again in April. They had individual sized ones & huge ones

• Like 1

When they had the pot pies on the Constellation they also had these 3 or 4 Gigantic Burgers.  They were next to the pot pies.     There were about 24 inches in diameter and at least 9 inches high.   I took a slice of the beef hamburger.   It actually looked like meatloaf between a giant bun.   It was the worst beef ever.  I never had any hamburger or meatloaf that was almost impossible to cut with a knife and  very tough with no taste.  It seemed like they pressed it in a hydraulic press to squeeze out all of the fat  and juices.     I left it on the plate and I ended up with a individual pot pie.   They were OK but not the best that I have ever had.  My MIL made the best, combination of southern and Polish cooking.   It basically depends on what we got use to and had to eat  when we were children and old time memories.  

That burger was the  worse thing I ever had on any cruise.  It was all show and no go.   👎👎👎👎👎 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, dgoz said:

I've watch vloggers take a run through the expansive oceanview cafe. What are the best offerings? What should a skip? I read somewhere to make sure to ask for fresh eggs at breakfast, but don't know much else.

Please remember food likes and dislikes on cruise ships will all be subjective...

Sample a bit of each and then decide what you think are good and/or the best.... this can vary by meal and day, too.

Each of us have our individual likes and dislikes when it comes to food...

Please tell us what type(s) of food you prefer and then we may be able to give more specific likes/dislikes measurements you seek....

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 4

I like the pasta made to order too.  Love the fish and chips and the stir fries.  I hate Mexican food, I think it's because of the cumin in it. anywhere not just. i never try the Indian as it never looks nice.  The ice cream is good too.

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Please remember food likes and dislikes on cruise ships will all be subjective...

Sample a bit of each and then decide what you think are good and/or the best.... this can vary by meal and day, too.

Each of us have our individual likes and dislikes when it comes to food...

Please tell us what type(s) of food you prefer and then we may be able to give more specific likes/dislikes measurements you seek....

I'm holding back, truly I am.  When a grown adult asks what I should try at a BUFFET....good night Irene

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Most of the ships have an egg station in the morning.  You can watch them crack your fresh eggs for omelets, scrambled, or fried to your liking. There was a different station for eggs benedict. I found it best if you put in your order, then get the rest of your breakfast and by that time your eggs are cooked  to perfection.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sgadk87 said:

I especially love the orange chicken and broccoli beef they serve in the India/Asia part of the buffet.

Does anyone know how to make orange chicken in the nearly the same way, as they do in the OceanView café?

Unfortunately that chicken dish is not on the lunch buffet more than 2 times a week 😞

I’ll keep an eye out for that! I’m British and love Orange Chicken from Panda Express. We don’t get that over here!!!!

Stand outs for me are the salad stations. A big salad and topped with a piece of fresh grilled chicken/salmon is a lovely lunch. 

Breakfast is all about the American items for me as a Brit! Pancakes, waffles, streaky bacon! Love it! I don’t go near the English section for the whole trip 😂

Edited by Guest

Love making a bacon butty in the morning on a chunk of French bread.

Love making a big mixed salad and adding a slice of the roast of the day.

Love trying a bit of each of the Indian dishes.

Love looking for the specials, pot pies and fish and chips…

No real dislikes, having at least one buffet ‘grazing’ lunch is a must!

• Haha 1

A question I have, not to really hi-jack the thread yet here goes, is there a place on any ship which is not Luminae or Blu where one can expect to receive 'proper' wait service for breakfast as I do not really care for buffets, personally. LOL

The MDR is semi-buffet during breakfast.

10 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

A question I have, not to really hi-jack the thread yet here goes, is there a place on any ship which is not Luminae or Blu where one can expect to receive 'proper' wait service for breakfast as I do not really care for buffets, personally. LOL

The MDR is semi-buffet during breakfast.

You should order room service.  Then have your cabin mate serve you on the veranda.  

Smacznego!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

You should order room service.  Then have your cabin mate serve you on the veranda.  

Smacznego!

Sure thing, if I waited for that to happen it would a loss of 25#'s guaranteed! LOL

• Haha 1

Breakfast - LOVE the brioche!  We were just on the Apex for the first time.  Lunch buffet was excellent.  There were things we have never had in the other ships. At lunch they a.ways had steaks, chicken and fish grilled to order.  On the last day ( extravaganza buffet for lunch) they had a variety of steaks and lamb chops to grilled.  The lamb chops were excellent.  My husband also enjoyed the paella.  We also actually liked being served at the buffet instead of self service.  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always have success with the Indian food. That's usually my favorite. I'm going to go against the grain and say I like the Mexican station. I always have them make me a plate of nachos with chili con carne, shredded queso (don't do the cheese sauce!), salsa verde, and sour cream. I also actually like the pizza...

Desserts are hit an miss. Most of the large, round cakes are a miss, but sometimes they have specialties that are really good. I had an Eight O'clock Mouse on my last sailing that was amazing. There was also a raspberry opera cake on the last day of the sailing that I had twice!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I'm holding back, truly I am.  When a grown adult asks what I should try at a BUFFET....good night Irene

Do I hear Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' cuing up here???

Will or has X ever offered that as an excursion?

LOL

16 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

IMHO, you can skip most of the beautifully presented baked desserts. (And I LOVE desserts!) Cakes, etc. look really pretty, but have little flavor. Save your calories for the goodies at Cafe al Bacio.

Agree!!!  I have always wondered why the deserts in the buffet look so inviting but are usually a big disappointment.  I agree that if we want something better we go to Cafe al Bacio or get a scoop of the ice cream.  Or sometimes the cookies are decent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I like the pasta made to order too.  Love the fish and chips and the stir fries.  I hate Mexican food, I think it's because of the cumin in it. anywhere not just. i never try the Indian as it never looks nice.  The ice cream is good too.

On our cruise in January most of our lunches were the Indian dishes! Ir was really good. As was the other Asian dishes.