masquerade gala night

Electra 7

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Don't you think they are being tactful, because of the association of masks with Covid. Not so much fun any more, when you have to wear masks around the ship anyway.

That could well be the reason but I've not seen any explanation. We've no problem wearing both types of mask at same time, and covid masks can be removed at certain times. We might even be allowed to dance together with them on our wrists!

Although there was one chap on another thread who didn't plan to book another trip until his wife could wear her bespoke mask without the need for a medical mask. Maybe Cunard took note of that.

Nora plans to wear the dress in the photo on one of the nights no matter what. The actual shade is closer to the colour of the tie, and it's a model in the photo. It was bought before we even considered what to wear on theme nights. The 2 masks cost the huge amount of €2 in total.

Be assured we'll enjoy ourselves whether we wear the masks for a few hours or not.

silver dress[1].jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, D&N said:

My goodness, I didn't realise there was no choice on the evening menus! 🤣  I'll just have to hope it's something I like. 🍷

I'm also slightly puzzled why some of the folk who have commented here give the impression that it's unreasonable to question the reason for any changes that might be made to long standing arrangements.

We don't actually care whether they have themed gala evenings or not. It only constrains the order in which evening outfits are worn if we choose to follow the theme. But I can't see the operational reason for the change. Nor have I seen any posts where people have complained of being scared by people wearing masks and demanding the removal of masquerade nights 🤡, or conversely folk demanding more roaring 20s nights so that they can roll out their wardrobe of flapper dresses 👗.

No one has said it's unreasonable to question changes. Regulars are aware such things aren't set in stone and  as Gala themes aren't that important for most passengers, can't see it's that much of an issue. It is to you and so you question the change. 

The theme that seems to be most adhered to, is the Black and White evening, but that's an easy one to follow especially by me as all my evening clothes are black!

• Like 1

It's official. All Masquerade evenings through July have been changed. The last two dates for QM2 I hadn't heard about yet have also been changed.

QM2 Masquerade evenings

June 29th  (on June 24th westbound crossing) changed to Roaring Twenties

July 19th  (on July 15th Mediterranean cruise) changed to Red and Gold

16 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Yes, as it’s providing proven evidence of the dumbing down (Carnavalisation) of the dress code.

Crikey, I'm just happy a bow tie is worn. Hand or pre tied, it matters NOT one jot to those who value the fact folk are still complying with a formal mode of dress and I think I have an inkling I  might be speaking for more than just myself.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Crikey, I'm just happy a bow tie is worn. Hand or pre tied, it matters NOT one jot to those who value the fact folk are still complying with a formal mode of dress and I think I have an inkling I  might be speaking for more than just myself.

There is a huge difference between a man wearing a lovely smart dinner suit with a pre-tied bow tie, and a man who is in slacks and a t-shirt!  In any event I could not find a red and gold bow tie that wasn't pre-tied and one that is on theme and looks neat and classy is perfectly acceptable for a Gala night!

1 minute ago, mcloaked said:

There is a huge difference between a man wearing a lovely smart dinner suit with a pre-tied bow tie, and a man who is in slacks and a t-shirt!  In any event I could not find a red and gold bow tie that wasn't pre-tied and one that is on theme and looks neat and classy is perfectly acceptable for a Gala night!

One can have bows made ‘bespoke’ if one really wished to make the effort.
Acceptable or better than acceptable?    One will always have the choice.

16 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Mister not only ties his own bow ties, but he makes them himself. He’s a talented sewist. He learned to tie his ties on the internet. I’m very proud of him.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Yes, as it’s providing proven evidence of the dumbing down (Carnavalisation) of the dress code.

Why would a pre-tied bow-tie, the method of fastening for which is not intended to be visible, be considered ‘dumbing down’?

I see it as efficient, myself.

• Like 4

Just now, Jonem2001 said:

Why would a pre-tied bow-tie, the method of fastening for which is not intended to be visible, be considered ‘dumbing down’?

I see it as efficient, myself.

Agree. How does one know?

20 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

If one is happy to look the part with an off the peg variety, as my husband is, then that is more than acceptable.

Muddying the waters with terms such as bespoke is,  a sure way of putting off the undecided. I want the line to survive, not flounder under archaic values.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Dumbing down? Would you prefer a room full of gents who have badly tied bows having attempted to follow a Youtube tutorial or a set of neatly pre-tied ones?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Dumbing down? Would you prefer a room full of gents who have badly tied bows having attempted to follow a Youtube tutorial or a set of neatly pre-tied ones?

There are many ways of looking smart and in theme, and just as many ways of looking untidy and out of theme. It is really nice to see a room full of people who have all decided to dress up and join in with the more formal elegance of the Gala nights, and clearly a lot of people still feel the same way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

...but that's a pre-tied bow tie!!!!!!

Are they allowed?

🙂

Ha ha! I haven't the foggiest idea how to tie a real one and haven't the slightest intention of learning.

The clip on that one is challenging. I'm tempted to get needle and thread out and swap the clip from an old one!

• Like 1

Some of the pre-tied ones can be a challenge to put on with fiddly clips and can take as long as tying a bow yourself, once tying the knot and bow has been learned (and there are a number of different ways of tying a bow tie!)

On 4/2/2022 at 8:27 AM, Victoria2 said:

No one has said it's unreasonable to question changes. Regulars are aware such things aren't set in stone and  as Gala themes aren't that important for most passengers, can't see it's that much of an issue. It is to you and so you question the change. 

The theme that seems to be most adhered to, is the Black and White evening, but that's an easy one to follow especially by me as all my evening clothes are black!

I didn't suggest they did. I typed that it was the impression I got from various peoples posts. Perhaps my mistake in misinterpreting the sentiment behind those posts.

I was quite amused by your comments on clothes shrinking and unshrinking. However some of ours unshrank too much! I've been shrinking some of Nora's nicer skirts and my better quality old trousers by adding waistband darts or moving buttons.  An experiment this afternoon seems to have worked reasonably well.  I put a wool suit jacket, that now drowns me, through a normal wash then dried it in front of a halogen heater. We don't have a tumble drier as we don't need one here. It seems to have shrunk sufficiently that it will fit reasonably well.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, bluemarble said:

It's official. All Masquerade evenings through July have been changed. The last two dates for QM2 I hadn't heard about yet have also been changed.

QM2 Masquerade evenings

June 29th  (on June 24th westbound crossing) changed to Roaring Twenties

July 19th  (on July 15th Mediterranean cruise) changed to Red and Gold

Per Calendar for July 29th westbound crossing--

Jul. 30th--Black and White

Aug. 3rd--Masquerade

On 4/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, jimbo1683 said:

If unable to correctly tie, then one’s Butler or Steward will have the skills.  Effort made

On 4/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, mcloaked said:

In any event I could not find a red and gold bow tie that wasn't pre-tied

I was going to suggest a US mail-order place where I got a really nice red & gold self-tie bow tie. When I just revisited the page I now see they only have that tie in pre-tied. Shame. If you want to take a look, anyway, it's:

https://www.ties.com/american-necktie-co.-red-and-gold-red-pre-tied-bow-tie

• Like 1