Celebrity Arrival Boarding Time Strict?

wendycook22

Hi Everyone, 

I was wondering how strict Celebrity is with their boarding times? I completely understand and respect that they are trying to spread out arrival for health and safety concerns. 

We did out check in right away but the other couple we are travelling with did not and have a much later time.  We have to check out of our hotel at 11:00, and would prefer to head right to the cruise terminal.  Has anyone experienced an issue with arriving prior to their scheduled time?  I can bump our time to 1:00 to match our friends (we had 11:30), but we would prefer to check out and head to the terminal.  

Any insight is greatly appreciated.  

For non-suite passengers, what I have seen and read is if you arrive before your scheduled time you will be asked to wait in a line by assigned time.  If your time is 1 and you arrive at 12 you will wait with the others assigned 1.  Should they finish checkin and boarding of the 12 group at say 12:20 they will start with those assigned at 12:30 time slot

This process has made embarking a much easier and faster process .  As passengers count increase this process should avoid the long lines and waits in the terminal.

• Like 2

Last December we arrived about a half hour early... no problem... Now I will say that there was no line to speak of... also DH needed wheelchair assistance... so that might also have allowed us through a bit early.  Once capacity increases I suspect they will keep the time frames in place and enforce them more to help keep things moving along.

27 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

Wait times are currently mostly driven by capacity.  A really light cruise might get you on sooner.  Not much chance with a more heavily booked cruise.  And bookings are varying quite a bit depending upon which ship/itinerary these days.

Here's the only real answer:

If there are people waiting with check-in times ahead of yours, they will be allowed to enter sooner, and you'll be waiting behind them.  If not, in you go.  Think of it as boarding using group numbers for an airline.  With a #4 boarding pass, you wait until all of the #1's, #2's and #3's that wish to board have done so.  How quickly you get aboard depends upon how full the flight is.

It's really that simple at the moment.

I've heard both ways.   When ships had a very low passenger count they have been inviting people on line to check in early but on other cruises they had specific lines setup like SouthWest with time slots.  Suites and Zenith can board any time.

That has always raised the question in my mind.   Why do they give Suites and Zenith time slots that could be used by other passengers if we can board at any time.    I guess that would be too difficult for Celebrity's IT Group. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

Thank you everyone.  We will just head to the terminal, and if we have to wait a bit that is fine.  We know what a to expect 🙂  

Another option we have done for other reasons is ask for a late check out.   Most hotels will accommodate unless they are heavily booked for the next day.

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Another option we have done for other reasons is ask for a late check out.   Most hotels will accommodate unless they are heavily booked for the next day.

Yes, we have considered that as well.  We will see what happens on Saturday.  We fly out Friday 🙂 I am not trying to challenge their process at the pier.  I typically arrive at our designated time slot, so I was not certain of the process (if any) when passengers were to arrive early.  

Thanks for the recommendation and insight.  

Edited by wendycook22

23 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

Yes, we have considered that as well.  We will see what happens on Saturday.  We fly out Friday 🙂 I am not trying to challenge their process at the pier.  I typically arrive at our designated time slot, so I was not certain of the process (if any) when passengers were to arrive early.  

Thanks for the recommendation and insight.  

Your friends should recheck the App.  There have been times when earlier slots have opened up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wendycook22 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I was wondering how strict Celebrity is with their boarding times? I completely understand and respect that they are trying to spread out arrival for health and safety concerns. 

We did out check in right away but the other couple we are travelling with did not and have a much later time.  We have to check out of our hotel at 11:00, and would prefer to head right to the cruise terminal.  Has anyone experienced an issue with arriving prior to their scheduled time?  I can bump our time to 1:00 to match our friends (we had 11:30), but we would prefer to check out and head to the terminal.  

Unless your friends are first time cruisers, is there really a need to board with them?

Just meet them on the ship.

2 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

What would everyone do if a flight lands at 10:40 am FLL and boarding time is noon?

What in airport or at cruise port?  Other?

Thanks.

I would wait at the airport as there is seating and air conditioning. If you have to wait outside the FLL terminal, there are only a couple of benches, it's outside, and there may be no shade.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

What would everyone do if a flight lands at 10:40 am FLL and boarding time is noon?

What in airport or at cruise port?  Other?

Thanks.

We always fly in the day before. But if we had your schedule we wouldn't hurry to get off the plane. Then we'd stop and use the rest room, stroll on down to baggage claim area, claim our luggage, rip off all the airline tags from our luggage, stroll out to where the taxis are, get a taxi and head over to the port. Give our luggage to the porters and if we had to stand in line and wait, it would be for a short wait.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

That is the situation.  They are both first time cruisers.  🙂 

Given that, just wait and go on with them. They will always let you go after your assigned time but they might balk at letting you go on ahead of your appointment.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, D C said:

Which ship?

Both in Nov and Jan on the Reflection @ Port Everglades terminal 29, we were never asked about an assigned boarding time.  Terminal 29 lacks the space to form lines that 25 has.

We are sailing on the Reflection this Saturday.  I should have provided these details in my original post.  Thank you. 

28 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

We are sailing on the Reflection this Saturday.  I should have provided these details in my original post.  Thank you. 

I guess I could have read your signature, too.  🙂

Enjoy the trip!  Be sure to catch Opalira (acoustic duo) at least once. They're great!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, D C said:

I guess I could have read your signature, too.  🙂

Enjoy the trip!  Be sure to catch Opalira (acoustic duo) at least once. They're great!

I definitely will, thank you for the recommendation.  We will  keep our eyes out for them in the daily.