Western Australia Opens to International Travel Mar 3 2022

And today the media in a frenzy at Sydney Airport with 50 plane loads of peeps from overseas. Let us hope they have not brought the lurgy with them. With QR codes and sign in gone from hospitality venues and retail plus no masks from Thursday, the risk of a huge explosion is there.

And welcome to Sydney folks, the radical Rail Union has bunged on a strike. That will not do much to encourage tourism. Expensive cab or uber into the CBD. Don't get me started on the NSW Nurses strike last week, irresponsible, they are an essential service and should be prohibited from strikes like the police.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

And welcome to Sydney folks, the radical Rail Union has bunged on a strike. That will not do much to encourage tourism. Expensive cab or uber into the CBD. Don't get me started on the NSW Nurses strike last week, irresponsible, they are an essential service and should be prohibited from strikes like the police.

Actually the rail staff were locked out by Transport NSW.

If nurses are so essential, maybe they should have better pay and conditions.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

If nurses are so essential, maybe they should have better pay and conditions.

Totally agree. As a retired nurse I am well aware how in both public and private hospitals staff numbers have been cut in order to save money over the years. 

I also read the rail workers turned up for work but were locked out. The reason cited by the government was safety but I am unclear why that was a factor? Was the Union planning a "work to rule" against management?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I also read the rail workers turned up for work but were locked out. The reason cited by the government was safety but I am unclear why that was a factor? Was the Union planning a "work to rule" against management?

From what I read, the Rail Union called a strike. Some of the workers turned up for work anyway but the department decided they could not guarantee that they would have enough staff to safely run the network, so they cancelled.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

From what I read, the Rail Union called a strike. Some of the workers turned up for work anyway but the department decided they could not guarantee that they would have enough staff to safely run the network, so they cancelled.

I guess we have both read different accounts.

33 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I guess we have both read different accounts.

Both sides (the rail Union and the NSW govt) are blaming the other for the rail shutdown.

Here is a report by ABC -

NSW's passenger-train system was shutdown today, after the latest chapter of an industrial dispute between the state government and rail union came to a head last night.

The Rail, Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) planned to carry out low-level industrial actions on Monday, after two hearings before the Fair Work Commission at the weekend.

The government says the fact the trains aren't running is the union's fault, but the union is blaming the government.

RTBU state secretary Alex Claassens said an agreement for protected action was made at a hearing on Saturday, before Transport for NSW tried to prevent the plans at a second hearing on Sunday.

Premier Dominic Perrottet said the union didn't "turn up" to the second hearing and that the government had to cancel services due to safety concerns. 

On 2/19/2022 at 9:28 AM, Cruisers47 said:

We are booked on RCL in October from Rome.   We are going to Israel.

where are you going?

Eileen

We are going to Israel as well. I think we are on the same cruise. October 7th Odyssey of the seas

Edited by benjoon