The Daily for Monday 02/21/2022

richwmn

Today is President's Day (US), Card Reading Day, and Single Tasking Day

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.--William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Meal Suggestion for today - sweet potato bowls with kale and chickpeas
Drink of the Day - Watermelon Mai Tai
Wine of the Day - Drew 2018 The Field Blend Red (Mendocino Ridge)
Destination of the Day - Gisborne, New Zealand

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Eurodam  

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination San Diego, CA US eta 2/22

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 14:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 17:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam  

At Sea Mediterannean

Oosterdam   Destination Augusta, IT eta 2/24

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport BS

Noordam   Shipyard

San Pedro, CA US

Westerdam  

0221World.thumb.png.596967139d612d17523d7151ecf6326d.png
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from SW Florida, beautiful morning heading up to 83 this afternoon. Off the the golf course in a few minutes.

Happy Presidents day.

I like the quote. 

We like wine but are not connoisseurs, happy with California wines like Mondavi.

Thank for The Daily.

• Like 28

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report.  Happy President’s Day.  Never had my cards read.  I need to single task today after multi tasking all weekend.  The meal suggestion isn’t really grabbing me although I do like sweet potatoes.  The drinks does grab  me, it sounds refreshing.  I like Shakespeare’s quote, great advice.  Have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today! 

• Like 28

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's Family Day here in Ontario 🙂.

A salute to Presidents.  I save some special cards from some special people, so I guess this is the day to get them out and look at them.   I think single tasking is very important.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The drink sounds tasty too.  Hope the wine is not too expensive.

I'd love to visit New Zealand, maybe someday.  Thanks in advance for the pictures.

We made it through the wind and snow of the weekend, but now we have a rainfall warning for tonight.  We have lots of snow and the ground is frozen so no place for the rain, I hope there isn't much flooding.  Crazy weather!

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

57794E23-8F23-4970-8E0E-39D25ABC675F.jpeg.aadceb1b059e2e491aa031d672252e4b.jpeg

Happy Presidents Day to all of our American CC friends and a Happy Family Day to all our Canadian CC friends whose provinces celebrate it 🙂 

I’ve had some lovely greeting cards sent over the last few months so I think I i will re-read them today.  I’m usually a multi tasker but as of late, I’ve been happy if I can single task so I will celebrate the day 😉 

Sounds like a few people didn’t know it was illegal to go through a closed road and get into trouble.  They have been gifted huge, heavy fines.  Maybe we should borrow this sign for the stupid people substituting road for bridge?

96312C9A-2450-415B-8FBB-E1680F0B8069.thumb.jpeg.3159138f4a3be42584e45497deb3f003.jpeg

Love the Shakespeare quote.

Master Marley let me sleep until 6 (YAY) - not sure why I still feel tired and sore.  Certainly wasn’t from shovelling.  When I got back from the hospital I went out to shovel my sidewalk and it was done!  My sweet angel across the street saw me head out and decided to surprise me ♥️ So sweet.  She certainly wasn’t just accompanying 😉 

5F4BDE1B-52D6-48F1-9041-8ABA2CD2D495.thumb.jpeg.b7b90c767ad1f67466eb609e57c0553b.jpeg

Master Marley is being difficult this morning with the routine so I had better get him smartened up so I can head out.  Rain/snow mix in the forecast - hopefully it’s not much 🤞 (For the record on this meme, Marley is NEVER tied up).

440A187A-E428-4A6A-88AA-0FB2AD0A37B9.thumb.jpeg.55d24cff2a68b4b8736903263fadf350.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday, everyone !!!!!!

A4954AFA-219D-41E7-9FB7-71F17CA55DB4.thumb.jpeg.22fb574cbae12890a55ee42a22f8461a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon.

47°F and sunny here.

I try and do 1 task at a time but Pauline is good at multi tasking.

Salute to the US presidents.

Excellent quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.

I hope everyone has a nice and safe day.

Graham.

• Like 32

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you for continuing the lists, while cruising, Roy - it is really good if you. Especially since we all know how ship internet can act up. I am glad you had a chance to visit Roger’s grave. 

Morning all. Another jam packed morning for me. So I will post and run.

The Nature portion of the animal series continues… hope they bring a smile to your face.

D1F34752-DC23-4B39-B4DE-BA69710A0BCE.jpeg.a1500ff56bc8fb3cd1fe64c12e8ffa75.jpeg

F8D6ECD5-B208-4527-837B-5D5B117D867D.jpeg.287bffa35cc59f6b6501b1a354365047.jpeg

DCA32B9F-1518-45B3-9670-7E39009E99E8.jpeg.23123f8b9fec33e0244c5abf344d3895.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Thinking of you Sandi, @StLouisCruisers hope you heal quickly. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Drew 2018 The Field Blend
Though I have not enjoyed a GSM blend from this vintner, GSM is one of my favorite red blends. And this one with its superb rating and fairly reasonable price is going on my list. Several online distributors with prices starting at $29.95.

Winemaker Notes

Several years back, the winery grafted an alleged Chave selection along with Grenache and Mourvedre within a one acre block on the Valenti Ranch. While this blend doesn’t play along with the rules of traditional GSM blends; this one is leaning more in the Syrah direction and the Grenache and Mourvedre play more a seasoning role. This field planting is picked all at once and vinified together along with a touch of Viognier for some aromatic lift. Some Syrah is added from the Perli Vineyard as well. The fermentation was 100% native yeast using 50 % whole clusters.The end result is a cool climate blend showing black and red fruits, crushed pepper, cured meat, orange peel , sage, penny royal and a touch of floral violet. A lean cool climate blend with just the right amount of lusciousness. A food wine.
WE95 Wine Enthusiast
This quietly impressive wine wraps superfine tannins around deep, haunting flavors that range from ginger-spice cookies to cooked blueberries, new leather and dark chocolate. It's big in terms of flavor impact, but the wine itself is just medium to full bodied, and offers a silky, polished texture that's hard to resist. Best from 2024.
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 10

Good morning,

Happy Presidents Day to all.  So this means no mail, which translates to no bills.  That’s a good thing.

Rather than read cards today, I have to write a few.  Need to answer some expresseions of sympathy that came in late.  Today is a good day for that.

I used to be good at doing lots of things at once, but finding that as I get older, sometimes even doing one thing at a time becomes a challenge.  We keep trudging on.

I like the quote.

We will skip the meal.  Not a big fan of kale, but am okay with the drink and the wine.

Have not visited the port.

All is well here.  Still pain free and celebrating that.  🥂.

You are all in my prayers, especially @StLouisCruisers.  Praying for your niece and your surgery today.

Cheers to those celebrating.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A salute to all of the U.S. Presidents. I have a few greeting cards saved, but they are at home. I am definitely a multitasker, but my single task today is getting the last minute things done for the cruise.

I like sweet potatoes, but will wait for the recipes to decide on the meal. Like the quote.

CC has been very tough on me the past week. Hopefully it will allow me to react, post and continue to log in.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'm thinking about you.

Going to get a cup of coffee and try to at least partially catch up before I get busy with laundry and last minute packing. As long as CC lets me, I will check back in later today and tomorrow on our way to Port Canaveral.

Wishing everyone a magical Monday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

I have had my cards read.  The reader said, I would move (got transferred to Atlanta two days later), she said I would never be lucky in love....  I think she should have said, I fall for the wrong type, or I am the wrong type...because love is what you give, not what you want to get.

7e998ddde79ed0df219b27c1de01be03.jpg

• Like 32

Good morning. It is already 30 and on the way to 50 later.Both dogs enjoyed their first neighborhood  stroll earlier and found much to sniff and investigate. It was such a pleasure not be so cold. I feel for @ger_77 and @puppycanducruise who remain in ice and snow .

Happy President's Day and Family Day.I used to easily multi task but that skill is less these days so I will single task.My grandchildren  and I have traded homemade cards during the Pandemic. They are getting  older now but I hope it continues.

I would enjoy the recipe but think the growing young man here would be appalled. We are  having vegetarian  chili here tonight with salad and cornbread.That is usually  a winner.

@StLouisCruisers  Thinking of you and the family. I hope things are better this morning  for Jennifer.

Terry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

@dfish I went back and read the late Saturday posts, leg cramps.  They wake me up, they had me screaming at one time.  I was told the soap, it worked sort of, I was told big fuzzy socks, this worked better if I could fall asleep before my feet got too hot (I hate hot feet)  but due to a weird happening in Florida last year on vacation, I found the real problem.  Varicose veins.  Had surgery in October, not only do my legs look better, but they feel better, and no more leg cramps.  I am supposed to walk more, which i had been doing until i got lazy again, but I noticed no more cramps!  Ask your doc.

@StLouisCruisers I hope all went well this morning.  And that your niece is doing better. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from Nassau.  Happy President's day.  Cards, greeting or taro?  I try to multitask when possible but it doesn't always work.  I love the Shakespeare but will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fruit Salad, Steak au Povre, and Strawberry shortcake, my plan for tonight.  The photo is from last night, salad, chicken parm, and strawberry ice cream:

dishes20.jpg

Today’s care list:

StLouisCruiser’s niece in serious fall with brain bleed
Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Jose’s blood tests
Welfare of furloughed crews
The Queen with Covid
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Superoma in isolation
MOSE surgery for StLouisCruiser
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

6 BHB with passengers
Cruising-along helping neighbor with military ID
A pain free sleep for Cruisin Terri
2 Days for JAM37 (Mariner OTS 2/22-26)
7 days for NorseH20 (Zuiderdam to 4/4)
Bon voyage  0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27),  ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to  3/8) , GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to 2/27) and myself and Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 12

Good morning, everyone!

It is 39F and sunny and bright this morning.   We are supposed to get close to 60F, so most of our snow will melt.  I'll head to the pool a little later this morning and follow up with a trip to the grocery store and pharmacy.   I'm saving the bank for tomorrow.  I don't want to have all my fun on one day!

Continued prayers for @StLouisCruisers and her niece, Jennifer.  

@marshhawk I don't have varicose veins, so I doubt that is the problem.  Since I've been taking my multi-vitamin the leg cramps have ceased, so I tend to think it is more of a mineral deficiency of some sort.  I do have absorption issues from time to time.  Right now it is my back that is the issue.

Today's meal sounds tasty.  I would probably like it, but between the sweet potatoes and the chick peas it is pretty high in carbs and too much for me at one meal.  For non kale lovers I am sure you could substitute some other green of  your choice.   I kind of like kale when prepared the way I like.  I've done it by roasting in the oven and it is good that way.  A dash of lemon when it comes out and I'm happy.  

This first recipe gives us the basics for the dish.   You can improvise from here.   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sweet-potato-bowls-with-kale-and-chickpeas

917019763_sweetpotatobowls1.thumb.jpg.9de724eac8f8832adf1304e42a4a5750.jpg

This one looks even better.  You roast the vegetables and spice the chick peas.  I can imagine the flavor!  https://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato-chickpea-buddha-bowl/

520389306_sweetpotatobowls2.thumb.jpg.b0b2776450ff2b9bdf4090382dcc3d5e.jpg

And this one includes avocado, which I adore.   https://eatwithclarity.com/sweet-potato-chickpea-buddha-bowl/

1252675730_sweetpotatobowl4.thumb.jpg.b5a192ecc437d6ae7308ec2cf3bb600d.jpg

Prayers for all who need them.   Keep @kazu Jacqui safe on the roads as she travels to be with Jose.  Cheers to all who are celebrating.   May everyone have a wonderful day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Interesting group of days.  Happy Presidents Day.

Passport renewal check was cashed, YEA!!!  Now the weeks wait to get it.

Prayers and toasts to our lists, and to all of us.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask. I was the only on at the beauty shop with a mask on yesterday.

Watermelon Mai Tai:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Black Strap Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Watermelon Schnapps
1 part Orange Juice
1 part Pineapple Juice
1 splash Grenadine

Instructions
Pour Pucker® Watermelon Schnapps into glass. Fill with orange and pineapple juices.  Float grenadine over juice. Shake or stir. Float Cruzan® Black Strap Rum on top.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 8.28.53 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Not a fan of kale, but I do like sweet potatoes.  Have not been to todays port, thank you in advance for any pictures. The quote is a good one.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, such wicked news about your niece. I will keep her and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all went well with the Mohs this AM.

@rafinmd I was happy to read that you were able to go to your brothers grave.  I pray that it gave you some peace.

Everything is quiet here right now. Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone! Just read through up to here. Always feel Blessed after reading about others woes and ailments. My day will come but very grateful for present health. I will continue to keep on praying for better days for those on list.

President’s Day but here it’s laundry day.☹️

Now that we have our house back we will start prepping for our upcoming cruises in two weeks. Under current conditions we hate the thought of possibly testing positive and not being able to embark. Azamara test at the port and then we test again for our Back to Back on Rotterdam. All you can do is be extra cautious and hope for the best.🙏🤞

Thanks Rich and Roy and to all of our frequent readers and contributors. Have a great week.

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy President's Day to our friends to the South, and Happy Family Day to those living in provinces with that holiday today.  When I saw Card Reading Day, my mind immediately went to Tarot cards, not greeting cards.  I've never had my cards read, but a lady once read my tea leaves.  It was interesting.  Today's a good day for single tasking, a holiday Monday with not a lot on the program.

Well the Olympics are over, and while I didn't watch all of the closing ceremony, it did look nice.  It will be interesting to see what changes come about before the next winter games take place.  I'm pretty sure Italy is excited that they're the next hosts; one can only imagine the presentations they'll have for both opening and closing ceremonies.

Another cold morning on the "frozen tundra" with a temp of -26C, and a biting wind, bringing it to -36C.   Sure glad we don't have to go anywhere today.  Instead of reading cards, I think I'll take some time to write some out today.  I usually send a card and some stickers to our oldest DGS every couple of weeks, the last ones being for Valentine's, so I have to go into my sticker box to see what I can send him between Valentine's and St. Patrick's Day.  I'll also send a card to a friend who lost her husband just before Christmas, to let her know she's not been forgotten.

I'm not sure about today's menu suggestion; I know DH would start looking in the fridge for something else if I presented it, so I think it's a pass.  I've got some ground beef thawing in the fridge that will be made into either chili or sloppy joes - we haven't had sloppy joes in ages, so I think it's time I made some.  Sloppy joes, a cheese plate and a tossed salad will be what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink our glasses in celebration of everyone on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wear your masks, wash your hands, get your boosters, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 39

Good morning from Grand Turk. It is a beautiful day.  It began with double rainbows.

Happy President's Day. I can go to my drawer and reread the lovely Valentine from DF I got first full day of this cruise. Shakespeare quote spot on, skip the salad, will take a plain Margarita instead, GSM wine looks like a good one, never been to NZ. Today is our day of reckoning.  COVID test at 4 pm today.  Came back from breakfast and John had his 3 star pin.  I guess I will have to wait till next cruise ends to get my 4 Star pin. Probably aren't counting our full 21 days until we complete them.  

Prayers for all those on Roy's care list and good health and safety to all.  🙏🙏

Double rainbows this am. Last night's balcony dinner. Pork belly, chili relleno and beef Wellington served our Blend wine I labeled CAW, Cabernet and upside down M for Merlot. Pinnacle Grill wedge salad topped with Clothesline Bacon and Filet with Lobster Dumplings. We have been eating very well.  The kitchen has been turning out superb food. I understand we may have 100 less next cruise. I hope it isn't 102 after 4 pm today....🙄

IMG_20220221_073139266.jpg

IMG_20220220_180736492_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_181931775.jpg

IMG_20220219_183516362.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2