Dining Dress Code

adlb1300

On 2/22/2022 at 8:56 PM, adlb1300 said:

Hi,

My family will be cruising on the NCL Breakaway out of New Orleans on 3/6. We are scheduled to do 2 speciality dining nights (Moderno and Teppanyaki). I know normally the attire for speciality dining is a little more formal than the complimentary restaurants. So my question is would my 18 year old be ok in closed toed black shoes, a nice pair of jeans and say a polo or button down shirt? Would a nice t-shirt be acceptable? They are not big on fancier clothes to begin with so trying to avoid buying clothes that will never be worn again but also would prefer not to pack a bunch of unneeded clothes just to find out jeans, shoes (figure sneakers may be pushing it) and nice tee with no design would have worked.

Thanks in advance

My experience on NCL (first and last time) was that it is quite OK to go dressed as if you are going working on a building site. Baseball caps, scruffy shorts and tee shirts that you have been wearing all week.

1 hour ago, Two 2 Tango said:

My experience on NCL (first and last time) was that it is quite OK to go dressed as if you are going working on a building site. Baseball caps, scruffy shorts and tee shirts that you have been wearing all week.

I never really understand why people get upset by the attire of other diners. Surely you go to eat? Does it matter that the man seven tables over is wearing odd coloured socks with his sandals? Will this affect the quality of your food, or your dining experience? If it does then I would suggest that you change tables/restaurants/cruise line.

The reason that I choose NCL is the lack of formality. I'm on holiday, I am not going to let somebody ruin that because they don't like my choice of dining attire.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Two 2 Tango said:

Sound like an appropriate “dress code” for any vacation resort on land and at sea. And is the same on other cruise lines. So if it bothers people, cruise ships are not the place to vacation. 

Royal Caribbean still has designated “formal nights” and here’s the attire at the MDR on a formal night on RCCL’s flag ship, the Wonder of the Seas. 
IMG_2641.png.f40c25e98ce75b2488ceba99e295c43c.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Man…I so look forward to these threads.

Here’s the deal, probably with most mainstream lines these days…..

No one cares how you dress.  If you want to dress in resort wear?  It’s a cruise.  No issues.

I you want to dress in a tux/gown?  Again, no issues.

Personally, packing less, not more, where you don’t need to pack dress up clothes, is a blessing.  Less luggage to schlep around getting on, off, around airports, ports, etc is a good thing.

If anyone cares what you wear, those are probably not people who I’d want to hang with anyway.

Have told this story before……

Was walking down the stairs of the Atrium when my GF and I saw a couple setting up to get their pictures taken on the stairs.  We decided to hang back so they could get the pics done, when the lady announced to the photographer and her husband, quite loudly, how we (GF and I) RUINED the ambiance of THEIR cruise.

In brief, we were little more than “background” for their cruise.

I grabbed my GF’s hand and proceeded to walk down the stairs right between the couple while announcing I din’t want to be on the stairs with these people ruining our cruise.

Just quit.  Dress how you want.  I promise I won’t care.  And, I don’t care that you care.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Even if 'my desire' includes dictating what  you wear?

No other passengers are dictating what other passengers wear.  The dress codes for the various venues are dictated by the cruise line.  They know what kind of ambiance they want their venues to be and set a code accordingly.  When that code is set that is what patrons should expect the standards to be.

Pretty simple, or at least it should be..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I've mentioned (possibly even in this thread, not sure - I didn't go back to 2022 when it started) and as @ColeThornton rightly suggests, the cruise lines are the only entity that can say what I can/cannot wear. It is why I refuse to dine in Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, or the aft main dining room on some ships. I refuse to adhere to their dress code. Therefore, I choose not to enter those establishments. It is also why I refuse to book a cruise on Oceania or Regent (well, one of a few reasons).

When I am on vacation, I don't rightly care what anyone thinks of my dress. Many of you know I wear t-shirts, athletic shorts, and flippy floppies 95% of the time while on vacation. I simply do not want to wear pants, collared shirts (even a polo), or sneakers. I do wear sneakers some time (dry feet, but anyway)...if the cruise line establishes rules/guidelines for what should be worn, then that is what cruisers should wear.

I have issues with the folks in @BirdTravels photo. Not because I care what they wear. It sure isn't going to spoil my dining experience. But, they are not following Royal Caribbean's rules. They should have been told to change. I understand why the crew member didn't ask them to change. It's an awkward conversation that can impact the ridiculous net promoter score most large companies (stupidly) utilize.

One reason I do adhere to dress codes is to not force a crew member into an awkward conversation: either they ask me to change or they let me in, offending those that have the ambiance ruined. I don't really buy that argument about ambiance. We are talking primarily about a mainstream cruise line. NCL can claim their main dining rooms and specialty restaurants are "upscale," but we all know they are Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Texas de Brazil, Red Lobster, etc. They're not upscale. The food isn't. The service isn't. The only thing that is, is the dress the crew are forced to wear.

By the way, I would be completely happy being served by a server in jeans and a t-shirt. So long as they are clean. But, I suppose y'all know I'm not exactly a fancy schmancy kind of guy. Know the dress code and know your company. We've discussed this before. If @CDR Benson and I are ever on a ship together, I am certain we'll dine together. And, you can be sure I'll be packing a button down, khakis, and a decent pair of shoes. Why? Respect for your fellow humans.

But, if the Haven Restaurant ever changes the dress code to include collared shirts, pants, and shoes...well, the butler is going to make a big tip serving my husband and I our food in our cabin. We may travel luxuriously'ish. We will also dress luxuriously. And the greatest luxury is to be comfortable in today's world. But, again, I won't make the host have an awkward conversation with me regarding my dress. Why? Again, respect.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

As I've mentioned (possibly even in this thread, not sure - I didn't go back to 2022 when it started) and as @ColeThornton rightly suggests, the cruise lines are the only entity that can say what I can/cannot wear. It is why I refuse to dine in Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, or the aft main dining room on some ships. I refuse to adhere to their dress code. Therefore, I choose not to enter those establishments. It is also why I refuse to book a cruise on Oceania or Regent (well, one of a few reasons).

When I am on vacation, I don't rightly care what anyone thinks of my dress. Many of you know I wear t-shirts, athletic shorts, and flippy floppies 95% of the time while on vacation. I simply do not want to wear pants, collared shirts (even a polo), or sneakers. I do wear sneakers some time (dry feet, but anyway)...if the cruise line establishes rules/guidelines for what should be worn, then that is what cruisers should wear.

I have issues with the folks in @BirdTravels photo. Not because I care what they wear. It sure isn't going to spoil my dining experience. But, they are not following Royal Caribbean's rules. They should have been told to change. I understand why the crew member didn't ask them to change. It's an awkward conversation that can impact the ridiculous net promoter score most large companies (stupidly) utilize.

One reason I do adhere to dress codes is to not force a crew member into an awkward conversation: either they ask me to change or they let me in, offending those that have the ambiance ruined. I don't really buy that argument about ambiance. We are talking primarily about a mainstream cruise line. NCL can claim their main dining rooms and specialty restaurants are "upscale," but we all know they are Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Texas de Brazil, Red Lobster, etc. They're not upscale. The food isn't. The service isn't. The only thing that is, is the dress the crew are forced to wear.

By the way, I would be completely happy being served by a server in jeans and a t-shirt. So long as they are clean. But, I suppose y'all know I'm not exactly a fancy schmancy kind of guy. Know the dress code and know your company. We've discussed this before. If @CDR Benson and I are ever on a ship together, I am certain we'll dine together. And, you can be sure I'll be packing a button down, khakis, and a decent pair of shoes. Why? Respect for your fellow humans.

But, if the Haven Restaurant ever changes the dress code to include collared shirts, pants, and shoes...well, the butler is going to make a big tip serving my husband and I our food in our cabin. We may travel luxuriously'ish. We will also dress luxuriously. And the greatest luxury is to be comfortable in today's world. But, again, I won't make the host have an awkward conversation with me regarding my dress. Why? Again, respect.

It sounds like we're clones 🙂  I also wear T shirt, shorts, and slides for the entire cruise.  I don't even pack long pants or closed toe shoes.  so, I also just simply avoid the aft dining room, Le Bistro, and Ocean blue.  I don't feel some kind of way by not going to those venues.  It's their dress code, and I have no problem following it.  If I was interested in going, I'd conform to their required dress code.  Let's all enjoy our vacation.  We work hard to earn them

• Like 1

Here is my, very simple view on this.

I have absolutely zero interest in clothes. Right now I am dressed as I usually do, in jeans and t shirt. That is what I wear almost all the time outside work.

All I have to go by when I go out anywhere is the dress code stated by the venue. For example, a few weeks ago I went somewhere where the dress code was black tie, and I followed that code.

As long as I am following the stated dress code then my job is done. If someone looks at me and decides that it isn't enough then that is their problem, not mine. It isn't that I am dressed inappropriately, they are in the wrong venue for what they want.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

No other passengers are dictating what other passengers wear.  The dress codes for the various venues are dictated by the cruise line.  They know what kind of ambiance they want their venues to be and set a code accordingly.  When that code is set that is what patrons should expect the standards to be.

Pretty simple, or at least it should be..

The issue is that some think their enjoyment trumps the enjoyment of others.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The issue is that some think their enjoyment trumps the enjoyment of others.

Exactly. 

MY enjoyment comes first... then the rest of you are all tied for second, lol. 😅🤣😂

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:18 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I would be more interested in my DD having an enjoyable cruise.  😎

Perhaps there should be a table for teens.  There’s a fun book by Michael Ondatje named THE CATS TABLE  about a voyage in the 30s from Sri Lanka to the UK.

im of grandmother age so I wonder how we should ease our young ins in to dressing appropriately or for the occasion.