How to search a topic within the Oceania forum?

dcsam

There is a Search box at the top right.  [If you have enlarged the view as I do, you may have to zoom out to see it.]  When you click there, a drop-down menu offers three choices:  Search In [check "This Forum"]; Find Results That Contain ["Any" or "All" of your search terms]; and Find Results In [titles and body, or just titles].  After selecting these options, type your search terms in the main box and click the magnifying glass icon.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There is a Search box at the top right.  [If you have enlarged the view as I do, you may have to zoom out to see it.]  When you click there, a drop-down menu offers three choices:  Search In [check "This Forum"]; Find Results That Contain ["Any" or "All" of your search terms]; and Find Results In [titles and body, or just titles].  After selecting these options, type your search terms in the main box and click the magnifying glass icon.

On an iPhone, click the magnifying glass on the top of the CC Mobile Friendly web display and answer the questions.

FWIW, Boolean searching confuses the process (though it suggests using Boolean method if you get no results from your attempt with just specific words/phrases.

Another tip. Scroll to the bottom of the page reading each heading. If you don’t find your topic/question, go to previous page and do the same.

You’d be amazed at the number of people that ask identical questions to those on a current active thread. 

And if you are like me and use Firefox as your browser, you might not even see the search box that Host JB mentioned. I have to go to a different browser if I want to search a specific forum and not tire the rest of the kids by asking a common question.

56 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

And if you are like me and use Firefox as your browser, you might not even see the search box that Host JB mentioned. I have to go to a different browser if I want to search a specific forum and not tire the rest of the kids by asking a common question.

I wrote those instructions while checking each step on Firefox.  As I mentioned, you don't see the search box if you have zoomed the View to a larger size.  Try going back to 'actual size' and see what happens.  I still see the search box at several stages between actual size and the big zoom I prefer.

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

I use FF

Go to the forum like Oceania  then click the search box

If you click on the word "search" not the symbol  the drop down menu appears

image.thumb.png.e910d64436f22182beab5c916a036343.png

One thing that adds to the confusion is that there are TWO search boxes. There is one at the top right that will only search the whole site, then a little below that is the second box, right below your name and notification area. It's the second one that you want to search an individual forum. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

One thing that adds to the confusion is that there are TWO search boxes. There is one at the top right that will only search the whole site, then a little below that is the second box, right below your name and notification area. It's the second one that you want to search an individual forum. 

yes the one under your name is the one I use

13 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

I have always found the search feature in Cruise Critic totally useless. Usually pulls up something so old to be irrelevant, if even pertaining to the subject. 

Well, it shows effort  and diligence even when not useful. I can state, “I tried the search function but…..”

That gets me some sympathy and then less likely to get a “lecture”!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mexicobob said:

I have always found the search feature in Cruise Critic totally useless. Usually pulls up something so old to be irrelevant, if even pertaining to the subject. 

Maybe because I'm a retired Librarian the search function bows to my greatness???  I find that it works pretty well.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dcsam said:

Yes.  I’m using a new IPhone.  

I spend a lot of time on cruise critic (sad really!). 
when I compare the functionality of my iPad mini to using my iPhone, I just hate using the iPhone to access cruise critic. Love the iPad mini, but I’m sure any mini tablet would be just as good.

40 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I spend a lot of time on cruise critic (sad really!). 
when I compare the functionality of my iPad mini to using my iPhone, I just hate using the iPhone to access cruise critic. Love the iPad mini, but I’m sure any mini tablet would be just as good.

Count me in as another vote for iPhone. Stick it in your pocket and off you go.
That said, I am contemplating an iPad Mini for travel since UA Max planes require personal devices for video.

I can search fine on my laptop or desktop, my Samsung phone I can't see the limit-to-this-forum part of search so I bookmarked the following link that someone else on CC posted. You just have to type over the "Replace This With Your Search" that pre-fills in the search box (or you can edit the link). Happy searching! 🙂

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?&q=Replace_This_With_Your_Search&type=forums_topic&nodes=29