I'm beginning to understand there's a method to your....

hllwdcruiser

My usual travel buddy is an early riser.  He has a Sit Down 'First Breakfast' in the main dining room that is serving it.  He then has Second Breakfast at the Buffet about 1030 (mostly for coffee and to see if something that looks tasty catches his attention.  Lunch  (which he calls "Elevensees'  (after Lord of the Rings)  is my first meal, and he joins me sometime between 1130 and 1.  We may have a snack of fruit or cookies or maybe a pizza slice in the afternoon.  

We have done 'Tea' probably once every other cruise just to enjoy it.  

We have taken in the Elite/platinum event about 5.

However, my main meal is usually scheduled for closer to 5 for 2 reasons.  First is "Travel Buddy Management".  He will join us for dinner, regardless of whatever else he is doing. This also gives us a chance to nail down the evening entertainment schedule.  By dining closer to 5, we have more options to pick and choose which events we will take in.

We had really enjoyed the prior dinner set up. We enjoyed the same staff knowing our preferences, and getting to know our tablemates.  Some of them we still email regularly!  Under the current system, that part of the enjoyment is missing.

Edited by sirclean
  • Like 1

on our last cruise I reserved 6:20 every night because we do like having the same waitstaff every night...because the ship was only about 1/4 full we were able to eat quickly & go to the early theater show (no worries about finding a seat) & then also do later shows (one night I even went back & watched the magician again) also because they don't expect people to eat in less than an hour & a half, there was never anyone at our table before us so on the nights we needed to arrive a little early (captain's circle event) they were able to seat us early...with dinner a bit later, we were able to do tea a couple of days & there is always the buffet or international cafe for a snack later if needed 

• Like 1

Clearly in the minority here but we always chose late traditional as the focal point of the evening.

Even though dinner in the MDR isn’t always fabulous, the ceremony of ordering and tasting the full 5 courses has been a highlight of cruising for us for 40+ years.

We fit in a show or other entertainment around the meal, not the other way around.

• Like 7

At home, we eat between 7-8. It's a schedule of conflicts.  Hubs gets home from work 630-7, while the oldest leaves for work (graves) at 845. I work from home, so my schedule is whatever works for everyone else.  

When we cruise, we typically make our reservations for 630-7. And we individually eat when we're hungry.  We're not attached until dinner.  Same as home. 

• Like 1

Usually sail on a theme cruise with large group and they put everyone in early seating so 5ish - we'll eat SOME at that point but between later entertainment go up to the pizza or buffet to get snacks if we're hungry.  Never had an "afternoon tea" on our sailings yet - can't imagine a single cup of tea and a cookie or two is going to fill someone up enough not to want anything for dinner two and a half hours later.

Personally portions in MDR are usually smaller than at home, so we do tend to be a little more hungry IF we don't order something for each course which we don't have at home.  At home usually eat around 7:30-8 so appetizer at 5:30 (seating at 5) is a bit of a change for the week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Never had an "afternoon tea" on our sailings yet - can't imagine a single cup of tea and a cookie or two is going to fill someone up enough not to want anything for dinner two and a half hours later.

You obviously haven't had a proper afternoon tea !

Sandwiches (crusts cut off naturally) scones with clotted cream and jam, victoria sponge, fruit cake, chocolate eclairs, etc etc.  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely that gets boring ?

Never been bored on a cruise!

Glad we are all "free to choose" and not passing judgement on other's dining schedule preference.   I think Princess calls it "Dine My Way". Right?

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, hllwdcruiser said:

I was going to say "madness" but realized, in looking at recent Patters, it's not madness at all. I'm referring to preferred dining times.

What time is the best time to eat dinner (supper) on a cruise?

I've read on this forum multiple times about people lining up at 5 PM at the dining rooms. We are never around the dining rooms or the Piazza at that time, so we actually have never witnessed it for ourselves but were amazed that people actually ate so early. 

We are normally late diners, eating between 7 and 7:30 nightly. So I booked a standing reservation in the Amalfi for 6:40,  figuring we'd get served by 7 and hopefully be out by 8. 

But I realize now - this is why we miss so many shows. We always have to choose. Do we want to go to the game show or the comedian? The MUTS or the production show? We always miss something.

Although sometimes the later shows/game shows are not scheduled at the same time - by the time you get to the other venue from another one, there is never any seating left.

But if we ate at 5 or 5:30, we would be able to go to the early production show and catch the later game show, no problem. Plus, instead of being stuffed to the gills in the evening, we could even enjoy a late night snack.

The only problem is that we are usually just leaving the pool around 5 or 5:30 so what time would we have to go back to the cabin to make that early seating?

Do people actually eat lunch, then afternoon tea, then dinner at 5?

I realize we can never figure out the best time to eat without FOMO!

I am truly interested in how others schedule their dining times. What do you do?

And don't forget stopping by for the Platinum/Elite Lounge on the way to dinner...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Never had an "afternoon tea" on our sailings yet - can't imagine a single cup of tea and a cookie or two is going to fill someone up enough not to want anything for dinner two and a half hours later.

You clearly do not understand what afternoon tea is.

14 hours ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Personally portions in MDR are usually smaller than at home, so we do tend to be a little more hungry IF we don't order something for each course which we don't have at home.  At home usually eat around 7:30-8 so appetizer at 5:30 (seating at 5) is a bit of a change for the week. 

i have never found the portions in the MDR small. You are not limited to what you can order. You can order multiple dishes if you wish.

On 2/24/2022 at 10:39 AM, CarelessAndConfused said:

When you're hungry.

Except for the first meal of the cruise, we are rarely hungry for dinner as there is so much food to enjoy on the ship.

We always had late traditional seating as that was our best chance to be hungry for dinner.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

I don't - I clearly said we've never had one on any of our sailings yet. 

But you said afternoon tea consisted of a cup of tea and a cookie ! That is not afternoon tea, that is not even a snack! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:37 AM, Tonsoffun44 said:

Usually sail on a theme cruise with large group and they put everyone in early seating so 5ish - we'll eat SOME at that point but between later entertainment go up to the pizza or buffet to get snacks if we're hungry.  Never had an "afternoon tea" on our sailings yet - can't imagine a single cup of tea and a cookie or two is going to fill someone up enough not to want anything for dinner two and a half hours later.

And don't forget you also have the "snacks" at the platinum/elite lounge before dinner. 😄

• Like 1

That’s why I like cruising. There is something for everyone!  We don’t even start getting ready until 6:00 with plans to meet at the bar for cocktails at 7. On to dinner at 8ish and back to the bar to listen to live music. We don’t go to shows or the games. So we plan our dinner around the live music set times. Something for everyone!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Small portions ensure I enjoy all portions!

The MDR is a 5 course meal and we make sure we savor every course. 

Appetizer, soup, salad, entree, desert...."rinse and repeat". LOL. 

I’m also one that appreciates the smaller portions even though I swear, some are still too large.  I like the appetizers and salads, sometimes I also want soup so, a very small dinner entree is perfect. And, I never have room for dessert.   Add a piece of bread to start and I just skip the entree.  

• Like 1

From what I'm reading Princess has cut the portion size of their entree's to save money. I suppose some people were just wasting food and they saw an opportunity to save a few $$. If they make the vegetable portion size any smaller they might as well eliminate it altogether. 😄

After judging the next main course for myself we'll adjust it accordingly with a double order. 

We cruise in a week and I am having the same questions.   We have not gone to a show in 8 years - we want to but never do any real planning on a cruise other than excursions.   We usually go to the  dining room at 7:30 and the shows are over when we get out.     We enjoy sitting at one of the bars for a hour or so.   I am too full to drink anything after dinner so I like to do it before.       We love club class dining and have only had to wait to get a table on two cruises - they came to the bar to get us when a table was ready.    This is the first time I have done a last minute cruise.  We normally book suites and they were sold out so we are not at all familiar with the new dining reservations on the medallion.   

Last night I did select 8 pm for our diner reservation    BUT this morning, I am wondering if I should cancel it.   We eat in the specialty restaurants a few time on each cruise and after a long day tour, we come back and just order something light from room service.   I hate to be a no show at restaurants. 

SO,  if we decide not to go, do we need to contact the dining room to tell them we are not coming????    Or if we don't select a reservation, can we just go to the dining room when we want to eat??   Thanks

23 minutes ago, compozer said:

SO,  if we decide not to go, do we need to contact the dining room to tell them we are not coming????    Or if we don't select a reservation, can we just go to the dining room when we want to eat??   Thanks

You can cancel your reservation by using the app, or via your cabin TV. If you don't cancel, you will be considered a "no show" 15 minutes or so after your reservation time, but there are no repercussions. 

And yes, you can just turn up - depending on your table preference, especially if you want a two top, you may have to wait, but hey ho, you can wait in a bar with a pager, so no hardship !  

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You can cancel your reservation by using the app, or via your cabin TV. If you don't cancel, you will be considered a "no show" 15 minutes or so after your reservation time, but there are no repercussions. 

And yes, you can just turn up - depending on your table preference, especially if you want a two top, you may have to wait, but hey ho, you can wait in a bar with a pager, so no hardship !  

Thanks for the fast reply.     I hate being a no show.   I know the Crown Grill had so many issues with no shows and I don't want to be one of those people.

5 minutes ago, compozer said:

Thanks for the fast reply.     I hate being a no show.   I know the Crown Grill had so many issues with no shows and I don't want to be one of those people.

I was talking more about the MDR than the speciality restaurants. I think for those it is common courtesy to cancel your reservation, so as to free up your table for others.

• Like 1