Canceled port - what does ship do?

SetAnOpenCourse

I see the Caribbean Princess sailing on March 13 had a port of call cancelled, Grand Cayman.  What has been people's experience with a cancelled port (without a port substituted) - does the ship dock early at the next port or call, sail at a much slower speed to "kill time", or what?  I like sea days, but no so much if we're moving at a speed of a few knots.

Without a port being substituted, I have found the ship usually kills time as you say. When this has happened to us we get to the next port perhaps an hour early but never well in advance of the scheduled time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

What has been people's experience with a cancelled port (without a port substituted) - does the ship dock early at the next port or call, sail at a much slower speed to "kill time", or what?  I like sea days, but no so much if we're moving at a speed of a few knots.

Ship slows to a reasonable speed so there is less wind on your balcony making the extra sea day more enjoyable, gets to the next port on time or a little early and refunds you about $10 in port fees, enjoy...

Jim😎

• Thanks 1

When it happened to us on other lines - we came to near complete stop for a few hours (which stunk cause we were so close to the private island we were missing but could see/feel the rough water- wouldn't want to be in a tender on ship wasn't bad) then went slower (typical for daytime sailing) a lot longer than normal.  For ports that aren't far from each other we did a lot of maneuvers to waste time also at slower speeds. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

When Grand Cayman was canceled on my December cruise the ship overnighted in Cartegena. Didn't know that until a few days beforehand. Could it overnight in one of your ports?

I don't know, but the schedule showed Falmouth the day before Grand Cayman and a sea day after.

Anyway, this cruise was an alternative to what I was already booked on, and will likely make final payment on tomorrow, a four-nighter on Royal (Brilliance).  I look forward to my next cruise on Princess, though.  I just wish they'd have more options from Florida (I won't consider Regal, due to it's truncated outdoor promenade).

When we had to skip ports, the on-ship staff goes into high gear to arrange more activities, while the ship moves along more sedately. I can honestly say I have not been totally 'bummed' by loss of port. I take most of the responsibility for my own boredom/entertainment so I reschedule and enjoy as I can.

• Thanks 1