The 3% Club

23 hours ago, RuthC said:

Formal clothes, if fitted properly, can be very comfortable. 

My first tux was a quality, name name brand suit that fit well.  The formal wear shop had to order it.  The size of the jacket needed to be different than the pants.  Tux #2 was a JC Penney tux that I decided I ought to have as a spare before my world cruise in case Tux #1 got messed up for whatever reason.  Much less expensive; material quality was OK as was the fit.  But, not as good as Tux #1.  Tux #3, being made of fine quality material and tailored to my dimensions:  very comfortable.  One regret in ordering it, though.  The liner of the jacket:  I could have made a better choice.  I was too conservative in the pattern that I chose.  

9 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

I do own a tuxedo and always wear it on cruises but I can't honestly ever recall putting it on before 7 pm.  At 4 pm, you will find me by the pool in a bathing suit 🙂

Being a second sitting diner, I might be that person in the deck chair not far from you.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, RuthC said:

Formal clothes, if fitted properly, can be very comfortable. 

My first tux was a quality, name name brand suit that fit well.  The formal wear shop had to order it.  The size of the jacket needed to be different than the pants.  Tux #2 was a JC Penney tux that I decided I ought to have as a spare before my world cruise in case Tux #1 got messed up for whatever reason.  Much less expensive; material quality was OK as was the fit.  But, not as good as Tux #1.  Tux #3, being made of fine quality material and tailored to my dimensions:  very comfortable.  One regret in ordering it, though.  The liner of the jacket:  I could have made a better choice.  I was too conservative in the pattern that I chose.  

9 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

I do own a tuxedo and always wear it on cruises but I can't honestly ever recall putting it on before 7 pm.  At 4 pm, you will find me by the pool in a bathing suit 🙂

Being a second sitting diner, I might be that person in the deck chair not far from you.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Tux #3, being made of fine quality material and tailored to my dimensions:  very comfortable.  One regret in ordering it, though.  The liner of the jacket:  I could have made a better choice.  I was too conservative in the pattern that I chose.  

The lining of a tuxedo should, when it is seen at all, call out 'Surprise!'. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Couldn't you have chosen 4% or 2% instead? Or are you purposefully trying to tie yourself to a certain let's say "highly controversial" organization.

I am not aware of any significance of 3%    Not aware of any larger meaning. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We have reservations for dinner at 7;30 after the Captains welcome today.   Next meeting will be at 4:30 in the ocean bar. 

For the next gala night, have you considered asking the cruise director to list the place and time of that night's  3% Club gathering in the daily schedule ?  (as they do for "Friends of...." meetings).  

I have a feeling you're really on to something here, and it's going to take off once the word is out.   

• Like 5

On 3/1/2022 at 7:28 PM, rkacruiser said:

But, friends, please remember that history is cyclic.  What is "old today" may become "new tomorrow".  

Huzzah!  Let's bring back knee britches, stomachers, hoop skirts, powdered wigs too while we're at it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am not aware of any significance of 3%    Not aware of any larger meaning. 

If you are unaware, a quick Google search would be helpful. For the love of God don’t try to put a meeting of “the 3% club” in the ship’s calendar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lderochi said:

If you are unaware, a quick Google search would be helpful. For the love of God don’t try to put a meeting of “the 3% club” in the ship’s calendar. 

Quick google of 3 pct club.   Pretty harmless.  

However I found there  is something called the "3 percenters" but not the 3 percent club.   I never heard of them till you mentioned it.  

I will probably adjust the name to avoid any confusion.   

5E2BBEF2-25D6-4BFE-A6CF-C2188437984D.jpeg

A2C68DDD-8DB6-4CAA-8730-4837D805EE3F.jpeg

8BCB78CF-9E75-4B94-95A9-D38872746D18.jpeg

649E5179-3D47-4946-BC0B-557B9A7781B3.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:
10 hours ago, lderochi said:

Quick google of 3 pct club.   Pretty harmless.

Nothing harmless about the 3% club.  First hit on a Google search brings up: 

The Three Percentersfar-right anti-government militia.

The group advocates gun ownership rights and resistance to the U.S. federal government. 

The group is based in the U.S. with a presence in Canada. One Canadian expert, Maxime Fiset, a former neo-*** who works with the Centre for the Prevention of Radicalization Leading to Violence, considers the group the "most dangerous" extremist group in Canada.

• Thanks 1

I'm four-star with HAL but have also sailed on several other lines. If you love to dress up for dinner, go on a Cunard cruise, particularly a Queen Mary 2 "crossing" (NY to Southampton or reverse). Of our 21 nights on the QM2 in 2019, I think eight were designated as formal nights. Not counting the people who avoided the whole thing altogether by eating dinner in the lido, I'd say that over 50% of the men wore tuxedos or white dinner jackets on formal nights, and the rest wore suits and ties. It added greatly to the festive atmosphere.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The group advocates gun ownership rights and resistance to the U.S. federal government. 

The group is based in the U.S. with a presence in Canada. One Canadian expert, Maxime Fiset, a former neo-*** who works with the Centre for the Prevention of Radicalization Leading to Violence, considers the group the "most dangerous" extremist group in Canada.

Gosh, I've never heard of these people and I read news from all over the place.

It reminds me of trying to pick a baby name nowadays.  With so much stuff in the media, practically every name or word has some negative association.  No wonder babies get names like "Apple."   🥴

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 0106 said:

You are referring to the 3 percenters, not the 3 percent club.   The 3 percent club is an environmental group and a small group of cruisers wearing tuxedos...

What is the Three Percent Club?

The Three Percent Club is a collaboration of governments and supporting organizations that commit to working together to put the world on a path to three percent annual efficiency improvement.

AND a group of guys on the Zuiderdam who like to dress up!

Support Countries’ Energy Efficiency Efforts through the Three Percent Club - EE Global Alliance

image.thumb.png.8face84682f5255063a6ad82bdce0100.png

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Gosh, I've never heard of these people and I read news from all over the place.

It reminds me of trying to pick a baby name nowadays.  With so much stuff in the media, practically every name or word has some negative association.  No wonder babies get names like "Apple."   🥴

I hear ya - It was news to me also.......

• Like 1