PcR testing

Cattyp

So I have a question and I’m hoping some of you can help. I am required to take a Covid test 72 hours before my arrival in Hungary. If I land in hungry on a Monday evening at 5 PM what is the earliest time I could take that Covid test? Does the time based on the time zone I’m living in which is the United States for the 72 hours or is it based on the time zone I’m going to? I’m confused as to what time I need to take this test so I was going maybe some of you have has this situation and could provide some advise. I plan on calling the cruise line tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Cattyp said:

So I have a question and I’m hoping some of you can help. I am required to take a Covid test 72 hours before my arrival in Hungary. If I land in hungry on a Monday evening at 5 PM what is the earliest time I could take that Covid test? Does the time based on the time zone I’m living in which is the United States for the 72 hours or is it based on the time zone I’m going to? I’m confused as to what time I need to take this test so I was going maybe some of you have has this situation and could provide some advise. I plan on calling the cruise line tomorrow. 

I flew into Budapest in early August 2021. The time zone difference is your friend. The 72 hours is counted from your arrival in Budapest using local Budapest time.

The time difference is a good 6+ hours depending on where you live, so just Google to find out the exact time zone difference. In the US we are earlier than Budapest so you add those hours to the 72. By the way, when I arrived in Budapest no one looked at my test or my vaccination papers. The only time my negative test was reviewed was before I boarded the plane.
Enjoy your trip !

28 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Are you sure it’s 72 hrs before arrival?  Quite often it’s 24-72 hours before flight departure as is the rule for entry into US (24 hrs.).

Yes Hungary says 72 before arrival. 

29 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I flew into Budapest in early August 2021. The time zone difference is your friend. The 72 hours is counted from your arrival in Budapest using local Budapest time.

The time difference is a good 6+ hours depending on where you live, so just Google to find out the exact time zone difference. In the US we are earlier than Budapest so you add those hours to the 72. By the way, when I arrived in Budapest no one looked at my test or my vaccination papers. The only time my negative test was reviewed was before I boarded the plane.
Enjoy your trip !

This still confused me. I feel like I need a PHD in math to figure it out. 
i live in New York so that’s 6 hours behind Budapest. So if I land on a Monday at 5 pm then what time is the earliest I can take this test?

3 minutes ago, Cattyp said:

i live in New York so that’s 6 hours behind Budapest. So if I land on a Monday at 5 pm then what time is the earliest I can take this test?

Look at timeanddate.com. It will let you see what time it is in NY at 5 pm in Budapest. 

10 minutes ago, Cattyp said:

Six hours difference would be 11am, assuming no flight delays……

15 hours ago, Cattyp said:

awesome! I found a place that will give me a PCR result quickly so I’ll go there Saturday and that should be sufficient! 

This has been my experience, having been in Germany and Switzerland this past December... Both Border Controls counted back 72 hours from the local time. So... 72 hours back from 5pm Hungary time (UTC +1) today (3/3) would be 11am Monday (2/28). Your test results timestamp would need to be AFTER 11am Monday (2/28). The timestamp is usually the time at which the test was administered.

Are you not vaccinated? I ask as:

If you’re fully vaccinated

If you’re fully vaccinated, you can enter Hungary without needing to test or quarantine.

If you’re not fully vaccinated

If you are not fully vaccinated, a negative PCR test conducted in the previous 72 hours of arrival is required for entry into Hungary. For the negative PCR test to be accepted, the document proving the PCR test result should be either in Hungarian or English and should contain the following data:

Date; Type; Result of test; and evidence of where the test was performed.

I pulled this from the Hungarian Government site. They are following EU Shengen policy.

Thus... the EU has declared boosters to be necessary for visitors after 9 months (270 days) of the final shot of the first phase of vaccination.

Cheers

Edited by Haqdeluxe
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mizzou70 said:

I have not been able to locate the information for vaccinated travelers on the Hungarian Government site.  Could you supply a link?

The information was on my airline app and also on the final travel documents that I received from Viking. 

7 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

This has been my experience, having been in Germany and Switzerland this past December... Both Border Controls counted back 72 hours from the local time. So... 72 hours back from 5pm Hungary time (UTC +1) today (3/3) would be 11am Monday (2/28). Your test results timestamp would need to be AFTER 11am Monday (2/28). The timestamp is usually the time at which the test was administered.

Are you not vaccinated? I ask as:

If you’re fully vaccinated

If you’re fully vaccinated, you can enter Hungary without needing to test or quarantine.

If you’re not fully vaccinated

If you are not fully vaccinated, a negative PCR test conducted in the previous 72 hours of arrival is required for entry into Hungary. For the negative PCR test to be accepted, the document proving the PCR test result should be either in Hungarian or English and should contain the following data:

Date; Type; Result of test; and evidence of where the test was performed.

I pulled this from the Hungarian Government site. They are following EU Shengen policy.

Thus... the EU has declared boosters to be necessary for visitors after 9 months (270 days) of the final shot of the first phase of vaccination.

Cheers

Thanks! I am vaccinated. I’m getting the test Saturday morning before I leave…72 hour PCR test and paying extra for same day results. I should be ok. Apparently only US citizens need a PCR test for entry. 

9 hours ago, Cattyp said:

Thanks! I am vaccinated. I’m getting the test Saturday morning before I leave…72 hour PCR test and paying extra for same day results. I should be ok. Apparently only US citizens need a PCR test for entry. 

I just looked... I think at least you know you are required to have one.  Travellers from Canada *may* be required to have one taken 72 hrs previously.  Nice wording, as it sounds as if that is left more up to whether or not the border can read our QR codes.

19 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Just asking...do the airlines require any proof of negative  test results or vaccinations?

Yes, they do, at least Lufthansa requires a proof of vaccination, being recovered or a current test. And you can upload the documents online prior to the flight and get an approval email.

KLM requires a proof too.

steamboats

The airline will also require whatever proof your destination country requires, and/or whatever country you are transiting thru, i.e. we needed England's requirements for our transfer in Heathrow, and The Czech Republic's requirements for when we arrived in Prague.