Transportation from FCO to Civitavecchia

venicemike52

Cruising out of Rome for first time  on Celebrity Apex.  Flying from Frankfurt to Rome one day prior to the cruise.  Looking for suggestions on getting to Civitavecchia from FCO as well as lodging options either at FCO or at the port.

We have always just hired a car to get from either Rome or FCO to Civitavecchia.  We do that the morning of  the cruise.  Never stayed near FCO or at the port, so can't help you there.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 7:38 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

We've used Bob's Limo with very good results.

Did they use a limo or a van?  I'm having a hard time finding the type of car used by many of these companies

The first time it was a standard sedan car.  Although we knew we might possibly be sharing,  it ended up being just us in the car on the trip to the cruise port.

The second time it was more like a large SUV/small van, because 6-8 of us getting off the cruise went to the airport together, lining up the transport through our roll call.  

They will adjust the vehicle according to your group size, or your preference.  Despite the name, ypu'd have to request an actual limo.  I booked both on line.

It's probably been 8-10 years or so since we did this, so I don't know current policies.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Driving time from FCO to Civitavecchia is said to be about an hour... at quite the cost if you hire a car or even if you find a shuttle.

For pennies on the dollar, and about 35 minutes more, take the train from FCO to Trastevere, then switch to another train to Civitavecchia.

Look for the times online to lessen your wait before and between trains.

21 minutes ago, ARRB said:

Driving time from FCO to Civitavecchia is said to be about an hour... at quite the cost if you hire a car or even if you find a shuttle.

For pennies on the dollar, and about 35 minutes more, take the train from FCO to Trastevere, then switch to another train to Civitavecchia.

Look for the times online to lessen your wait before and between trains.

The issue frequently mentioned for your suggestion is lugging suitcases. Can be challenging for a number of reasons.

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The issue frequently mentioned for your suggestion is lugging suitcases. Can be challenging for a number of reasons.

Very true.  We have taken the train from Citvecchia to Rome--hauling the luggage to the train station, then  up and down stairs and on and off the train was not so easy. But an interesting experience to people from our area not used to trains.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Very true.  We have taken the train from Citvecchia to Rome--hauling the luggage to the train station, then  up and down stairs and on and off the train was not so easy. But an interesting experience to people from our area not used to trains.

They now have elevators at the Civitavecchia station, so at least that part got easier.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, euro cruiser said:

They now have elevators at the Civitavecchia station, so at least that part got easier.

Does it mean that if the train arrives at platform 2, there is no need to manage up and down stairs with the luggage? 

4 hours ago, txd said:

Portofrome,

by any chance, do you know how much is the taxi from Civitavecchia train station to the pier.

Thanks in advance

Save your money and take the shuttle bus (port link bus) to the cruise terminal. It departs every 15 minutes just from outside the train station and it costs 3 euros per person each way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 11:00 PM, portofrome said:

Save your money and take the shuttle bus (port link bus) to the cruise terminal. It departs every 15 minutes just from outside the train station and it costs 3 euros per person each way.

Do they have a website? IS there any way to book online ahead of time? Just not sure where and how to catch the shuttle bus from Rome hotel to cruise terminal. 

Thanks 

53 minutes ago, seapad said:

Do they have a website? IS there any way to book online ahead of time? Just not sure where and how to catch the shuttle bus from Rome hotel to cruise terminal. 

Thanks 

I believe portofrome is referring to a local shuttle bus that travels regularly from the train station in Civitavecchia (not Rome) to the port entrance. It is the link that passengers need between taking the train from Rome to Civi and then taking the free port shuttle at the gates of the port. The bus connects the two as it is a bit more of a walk than most want to do with luggage in tow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I believe portofrome is referring to a local shuttle bus that travels regularly from the train station in Civitavecchia (not Rome) to the port entrance. It is the link that passengers need between taking the train from Rome to Civi and then taking the free port shuttle at the gates of the port. The bus connects the two as it is a bit more of a walk than most want to do with luggage in tow.

I see, thank you! 

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Correct. But since the covid 19 pandemia the free port shuttle at the gate of the port (Largo della Pace) was closed and made as a drive thru for the covid test. Til now the shuttle bus from the train station is the only one going directly to the terminal. At the moment the drive thru has been moved to a different place but the free shuttle bus is not back in service.

Edited by portofrome

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I want to share my experience of taking the train from FCO airport to Civitavecchia yesterday, 14 October 2022. To let you know now, I'd never hesitate to do it again and will never take a taxi. I got a quote of 160 euros for a reserved shuttle and have heard taxis are between that and 180 euros. The trip takes a little more than an hour. I paid 11 euros and it took me an hour and forty minutes to take the train.

EVERY train station had elevators to get me from one level to the next. Even the older train that I was one only had two steps that I had to deal with. There were plenty of seats and while they didn't have the best cushions (or any) it was a comfortable ride. On the newer train there was a display that showed the stops and the time it would occur. The older train announced stops in Italian and English.

Here is what I did:

Upon leaving the baggage claim at FCO airport, I followed the signs for the train. The symbol is on a large directional board hanging from the ceiling showing the direction of restrooms, car rental, departure gates, taxi's... It is the only one with a yellow background. and looks like a train on the tracks.

They lead me on about a 3 to 5 minute walk to where there was a set of ticket machines. They are red and say Leonardo Express (in white letters). Behind these and slightly to the right is a set of 3 elevators. I took one to the top level. I was on ground level (level 0) and took it to level 2. This is clearly marked outside the elevator and inside there is a sign too.

Once I existed the elevator, I turned left (again, just following the signs) and I used four or five moving sidewalks for a eight or ten minute walk to get me to the trains station. The entrance is clearly marked and has a slight downward slope. Right in front of me as I got in the station were a row of four ticket machines. There was a staffed window to the right but I chose to use the machine. I chose English and had to enter the first six letters - C I V I T A - to get the name to come up. Once selected it showed me the upcoming trains and I selected the next one. I paid with my AmEx but it takes all major credit cards.

The machine printed out my ticket which showed the train number. I walked over to the tracks and had to scan the QR code on my ticket to enter. Once inside there was a ticket stamp machine that I used to "validate" the ticket. I inserted it and moved it to the left (just as the arrow on the machine indicated). It stamped it.

I looked up and saw the train number in lights on the train right in front of me. I walked over and got on-board, found a seat with room for my luggage too. There were no stairs here. It was a new train and had a wonderful display of the upcoming stops and when we'd get there. The train was delayed about 5 minutes and this was displayed but the time at the stop didn't change. So next to the stop would be the scheduled time and then +5.

As indicated on my ticket, I got off at Trastevere station, six stops. I came in on track 6 which is marked as the FCO airport train. There was an elevator that took me down to a tunnel connecting all the tracks. Inside the tunnel was a display screen that told me my connecting train would be on track 2. I had 20 minutes between (even with the delayed departure from FCO). I could have made it in less than five minutes.

When my second train came I had to go up two steps. I could have gone down two steps into another section but wanted to sit up higher. This train was older and didn't have the display screen but they announced all the stops in Italian and English. But I knew (from past experience) that my stop was the end of the line. Those two steps were the only steps I had to deal with.

Once I got off in Civitavecchia, I used the elevator to go to the tunnel and then ascend to where I could exit the station.

From the time I landed to walking into my hotel was 2 hours and ten minutes. It cost me 11 euro rather than 160 euros.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, tomwins said:

I knew (from past experience) that my stop was the end of the line.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  For those considering the train, note that not all regional trains end at Civitavecchia, so do be aware of the stops.   I didn't count but just eyeballing the list more than half do end at Civitavecchia, but some continue on to Pisa or Grosseto.

Edited by euro cruiser