Singapore Port??

desibee

Which port does the Celebrity Solstice actually embark from in Singapore?  Their little blurb under Port Facilities states that it's Marina Bay Cruise Centre but the map directly following has the little marker on the Harbourfront Pier which is completely different.

When we last embarked from Singapore we departed from the Marina Bay Cruise Centre.    We were in Singapore a couple days prior to the cruise and took the North South Line to Marina South Pier Station to check out the ship the day before our cruse (Millennium was overnighting in Singapore).   It's an easy 5 minutes walk from the Station with a covered walkway in case of rain.   Lazy that we are on cruise day we used Uber (very inexpensive).

It is always possible they could use the other Terminal

• Like 1

I did google but none of the sites that came up specify exactly which cruise terminal they were providing the schedule for, just the oh so helpful descriptor of "Singapore".

Edited by desibee

2 minutes ago, desibee said:

I did google but none of the sites that came up specify exactly which cruise terminal they were providing the schedule for, just the oh so helpful descriptor of "Singapore".

When's your cruise?    I suspect they will start updating things once Cruising actively returns to Singapore.    I don't believe that there would be any information posted for December 2022 - Feb 2023 cruises as of yet.  

Dec 23 so it might just be way too early to find out.  I was discussing pre-cruise hotel choices with my TA and she's making recommendations based on the location being close to the cruise port Celebrity marked on their map (Harbourfront) instead of the cruise port they mentioned in their blurb (Marina Bay).  My TA is not very good though.  She's a bit of a ditz to tell the truth and her advice is almost always useless...

To be honest I wouldn't worry about the port location and select a hotel and area you like and your interests while in Singapore .   The two ports are only about 4.5 miles apart.   

Harbor Front is adjacent to Santosa Island which is very popular with many attractions but also the price reflects that.  They have a number of theme type parks like Universal Studios and Adventure Water Park.  It is away from the main commercial district of Singapore.

Both can be reached by Taxi/Uber or via Subway.   I think it cost us less than $10 for Uber and took us right to the door of the Terminal.

My preference is Raffel's Place district.   Many like the Orchard Shopping district.    It may just be that I had to work in Singapore for 6 months and lived at the Westin across the street from Raffel's and I feel very comfortable there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MDCruze said:

I’ve stayed at the Fairmont a number of times and always been quite happy with it. 

Don't you have a cruise you should be enjoying right now?

We docked at Marina Bay, but that was pre Covid.  My understanding was that Harbourfront was restricted to smaller ships due to a narrow entrance to the port. 

But I wouldn't restrict myself to staying close to either port, unless your budget stretches to the Marina Bay Sands. Have a look in the Ports of Call forum for suggestions, or ask for ideas on your Roll Call.

We have always used Marina Bay pre Covid times, but once when boarding Queen Mary 2 we were bussed to the docks area from the Marina Bay Hotel

Hotels in Singapore we have stayed, the first 4 have Club/Executive rooms which is great if you have a long day sightseeing you can get a couple of drinks and something to eat and decent  breakfast

Holiday Inn Atrium /Holiday Inn Clarke Quay

Mandarin Oriental

Orchard Hotel (part of Millennium group) our top rated, join the loyalty for small reduction in booking

Elizabeth Hotel this was a while ago

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest I wouldn't worry about the port location and select a hotel and area you like and your interests while in Singapore .   The two ports are only about 4.5 miles apart.   

Harbor Front is adjacent to Santosa Island which is very popular with many attractions but also the price reflects that.  They have a number of theme type parks like Universal Studios and Adventure Water Park.  It is away from the main commercial district of Singapore.

Both can be reached by Taxi/Uber or via Subway.   I think it cost us less than $10 for Uber and took us right to the door of the Terminal.

My preference is Raffel's Place district.   Many like the Orchard Shopping district.    It may just be that I had to work in Singapore for 6 months and lived at the Westin across the street from Raffel's and I feel very comfortable there. 

Agree. Pick a centrally located hotel as taxis are also cheap. Another lesson is never let your TA organise a transfer from the airport to your hotel in Singapore. You will pay a premium and a taxi is about $30 Singapore. Uber roughly the same.

We always stay at Clarke Quay. Close to most things including Chinatown for cheaper meals. We use the subway to get around which is cheap, extremely reliable with stations close to all attractions. 

• Like 1

Marina Bay Cruise center is used by Celebrity.

Easy to get to: MRT, taxi or Grab (Uber doesn´t operate in Singapore any more).
FYI: Taxis is Singapore are really inexpensive. The ride to port is not even US$ 10.

The ride from Changi Airport, which is about 20 km out of the city, costs roughly Singapore $ 20.00-25.00 - that´s around US$ 15 - 20.

So no reason to choose hotels by distance in Singapore :-)

Edited by Miaminice

We stayed at the 3* Miramar, which was on Havelock Rd.

I think it was across the road from Clarke Quay. The booking came as a package with our flight on Singapore Airlines. But it was in 2008.

Edited by upwarduk

I agree, the taxis are inexpensive and readily available. 

We have stayed at the Fairmont  and also the Pan Pacific, both in Club rooms.  Our preference is the Pan Pacific as the Club lounge is 360 degree view and the they are amazing!   

Check out sunset at the CE LA VI Bar and Restaurant on top of Marina Bay Sands (cover charge and expensive drinks, but worth having one).   

Eat at the Hawker centres as they have the best food (in my opinion) and cheap. 

As previously noted the distance from the Marina Bay Cruise terminal to the MRT is very close.  We have sailed twice on Celebrity from Singapore and both times from Marina Bay. 

We are back again next year in November 2023 - cannot wait!   Enjoy your cruise. 

We love the JW Marriott, near the Raffles Hotel, we have stayed there four times ow. Very close to public transport, shopping, and the hotel is beautiful. The club level rooms entitle you to a great lounge, cocktails, breakfast, afternoon snacks and dinner ( not that you want to have all of your meals there- but you can). Singapore’s subway system is very user friendly, CLEAN, and takes you near wherever you want to go.

We truly enjoyed Royal Plaza on Scotts - just off Orchard...

We stayed there @ number of nights, both Pre & Post Cruise!

Taxis, MRT, buses - we did it all & walked much of the time as well...
Loved Singapore & look forward to returning one day!

Edited by Von & John

On 3/8/2022 at 2:20 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

It is definitely Marina Bay Cruise Centre.

Singapore Cruise Centre Harbourfront can only accomodate ships smaller than 80000 tons. Even Millennium Class is too large to berth there.

That's what I thought, although you would think a travel agent who isn't totally incompetent would know that or at the very least be able to figure that out from looking at the ship we are on and having knowledge of the port.

• Like 1