Not another dress code thread

bitob

Trying to finesse with the wording "Smart Attire" as that is an opinion not an actual style. Smart attire in many places is a clean T where in other places smart attire is Armani jacket, tie, linen slacks and nothing less. So by using "smart Attire" all Cunard accomplishes is a rugby scrum in the evening.

5 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

I am sue he c an but under Cunard's code he MAY not.

Heh heh - my father's favorite rejoinder to "Daddy, can I...."  "Yes, you can.  The question is may you?"  Thanks for the reminder.

Back to the thread - Cunard can't address every scenario; they can only offer guidelines.  As I envision it, a silk t-shirt and sport coat looks refined enough to satisfy the spirit of the dress code.

• Thanks 1

The title "smart attire" is meaningless,  it the words that go with them that matter, even if they don't correspond to some of the pictures .  Unfortunately Cunard has different words in differrnt places. 

Here's a challenge see how many  different definitions of smart attire  you can find on Cunards websites. 

That green shirt shown in the picture was rather loose and baggy — much more likely to have been a sweater (jumper, for Brits).  But a tee shirt — whether silk, or Alencon lace or whatever - is more appropriate for a biker bar than any restaurant claiming any sort of dress code at all.

Of course, if Cunard decides to chase the less formal, it is their business decision —-  it remains to be seen whether they might lose a lot of their core customer base by becoming more Carnivalized.

• Like 1

The OP's husband owns a tux and plans to bring it for Formal nights.  I suspect he knows how to dress in a restaurant that aspires to elegance.  Some details can be left to personal judgment.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, alc13 said:

The OP's husband owns a tux and plans to bring it for Formal nights.  I suspect he knows how to dress in a restaurant that aspires to elegance.  Some details can be left to personal judgment.

Being well informed of the definition of smart attire in mid-coast Maine I can well see why a silk T would be in your hubbies mind acceptable but does it have long sleeves as required by Cunard?

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't know why it's so hard for men to wear a jacket and tie to dinner - I must have been alive too long; I seem to have the impression that a jacket and tie would just be dressing properly for dinner on a ship.

I feel the same. I had my first Cunard voyage in 1973, when jackets and ties were required every night including the first and last. I have never gone to dinner on Cunard without at least a jacket and tie and I don't intend to start now. Cunard can dumb the dress code all they want and I will pay no heed to it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, david,Mississauga said:

I feel the same. I had my first Cunard voyage in 1973, when jackets and ties were required every night including the first and last. I have never gone to dinner on Cunard without at least a jacket and tie and I don't intend to start now. Cunard can dumb the dress code all they want and I will pay no heed to it.

I'm with you!  Mr Alc wears a tie at dinner on Cunard (sorry, Lakesregion), and looks pretty terrific, too.  

• Like 2

I’m hoping this thread can remain a discussion around the inconsistencies of the wording by Cunard. I think it must make it very difficult for Cunard staff to enforce a description that is regional. Let’s all try to avoid contention so Host Hattie doesn’t have to close the thread. 😇

• Like 3

In terms of dress code, Cunard still leaves in the past. Many people avoid the line because they don't want to bring a suit to a vacation. Nothing wrong if some people still want wearing a suit and a tie, but it should not be mandatory. Most lines are already way past it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bitob said:

Again confused 

What's confusing about this ?

Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

In terms of dress code, Cunard still leaves in the past. Many people avoid the line because they don't want to bring a suit to a vacation. 

And that's absolutely fine, not all cruise lines have to be the same. It would be very boring if they were.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Most lines are already way past it.

Exactly, plenty of choice for those who prefer jeans, t-shirts, flip-flop, shorts in the dinning room,  baseball caps, "as long as it is clean", "but it is designer wear and very exepnsive", camouflage or what ever.

Why can't there be there just one line where people feel at home that prefer a more sophisticated and dressed-up environment?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

What's confusing about this ?

Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

Different responses among these posters. Photos on Cunard website conflict with language. I am calling Cunard 

and really. Some (not all)very snarky responses to a request for clarification making assumptions about our standards. Totally uncalled for. Sure hope folks on ship are more civil 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Exactly, plenty of choice for those who prefer jeans, t-shirts, flip-flop, shorts in the dinning room,  baseball caps, "as long as it is clean", "but it is designer wear and very exepnsive", camouflage or what ever.

Why can't there be there just one line where people feel at home that prefer a more sophisticated and dressed-up environment?

Hear, hear! We tried a who-cares line first and decided it would be Cunard for the long run partly because we didn’t like watching guys in oversized cargo shorts, baseball caps worn backwards and flip flops in the extra-cost restaurants. So we removed ourselves from that environment. Choice is a great thing, but it has multiple applications. We choose Cunard.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bitob said:

Different responses among these posters. Photos on Cunard website conflict with language. I am calling Cunard 

and really. Some (not all)very snarky responses to a request for clarification making assumptions about our standards. Totally uncalled for. Sure hope folks on ship are more civil 

The wording that @bluemarble and I posted is directly from Cunard.

I would say the responses say more about Cruise Critic than they do about Cunard. Have you seen the dress code discussions on other boards ? Terrifying ...

12 minutes ago, bitob said:

Sorry to be discouraging, but unless you have a lot of time to spare, I'm not sure I would recommend calling Cunard. You may be lucky, as I was the other day, and get to talk to someone in 2 minutes. On the other hand, the day before, I hung up unanswered after half and hour. So be warned.

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

The wording that @bluemarble and I posted is directly from Cunard.

I would say the responses say more about Cruise Critic than they do about Cunard. Have you seen the dress code discussions on other boards ? Terrifying ...

I read the Cunard wording

I saw the Cunard photos suggesting casual style

I am trying to reconcile the two 

I want to comply but I’m not sure what Cunard requires. I’m not interested in what any individual prefers Cunard guests wear. I just want to know what Cunard says. It is not clear 

I thought past cruisers could help me 

I don’t need a lesson in taste, style or class 

just seeking facts

• Like 1

I'm sorry we haven't been able to clarify things for you, I thought your question had been answered - jacket & tie are both optional on non-formal evenings.

It's been noted here before that the photos confuse rather than assist.

That's a fairly recent change so those who haven't cruised since the re-start will be used to men having to wear jackets.

My husband will probably continue to wear one, saves ironing shirts and as mentioned the air-conditioning can be a bit fierce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

I myself hate to see people in jeans, t-shirts, flip-flop, shorts in the dinning room. But it doesn't have to go to the extreme. They can still require trousers with a collared shirt, and no jeans. I think even Oceania doesn't allow jeans in the dining room at dinner.

It's not "all or nothing". There is a middle ground..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

…on a smart attire evening, reviving “Semi-Formal” (Dark Suit & Tie), also bringing back “Informal” (Tailored Jacket/Blazer & Tie), sprinkled with an occasional smart casual jacket.  Of course with the correct and matching footwear.

No waistcoat?