Not another dress code thread

bitob

Taking our first Cunard cruise

i have read websites and cc posts and I just need confirmation of the current dress code. 

formal nights no issue. CleAr as a bell

Other nights Jacket or no jacket for men?

tie or no tie?

is there a 3rd category ?

Lots of conflicting information out there 

1 minute ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

They’re still requiring jackets but no tie necessary. I think that’s a shame. Women go crazy ‘bout a sharp-dressed man.  Including me about him.

According to another group I'm on for QE, jackets aren't currently necessary. This is from people who are onboard now or have recently come off.  Taken from the current website What to Pack section for smart evenings (my bold type, no mention of jackets, though of course they can be worn) "Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theatre on a special occasion."

• Like 1

Here is the wording for the dress code as listed in recent daily programmes posted by other contributors to this forum. This is since the resumption of service this past summer when jackets became optional for gentlemen on the Smart Attire evenings. Each evening is one of these two categories, Gala Evening (formal) or Smart Attire.

"Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One may also, if wished, uphold the Cunard traditions by dressing above the stated, or implied, Smart Attire dress code.  Any published Cunard dress code will be confirming the minimum requirement.

It is not just a binary choice and one may freely show one’s respect for Cunard’s dress code traditions.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

They’re still requiring jackets but no tie necessary. I think that’s a shame. Women go crazy ‘bout a sharp-dressed man.  Including me about him.

Wrong  no jacket is required - as per Cunard.com - you'd think they would no 

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here is the wording for the dress code as listed in recent daily programmes posted by other contributors to this forum. This is since the resumption of service this past summer when jackets became optional for gentlemen on the Smart Attire evenings. Each evening is one of these two categories, Gala Evening (formal) or Smart Attire.

"Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."

Can my husband wear black slacks black silk dressy t shirt and sport jacket? 

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Can my husband wear black slacks black silk dressy t shirt and sport jacket? 

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Collared shirt has to be dress shirt?

where does it say no polo?

I fear we are getting into contentious territory here which may turn this into yet another dress code debate thread. But I'll give it a go anyway to explain why there are differing opinions about how to interpret the Smart Attire dress code.

Cunard does word things differently in different places. Their "What to pack" page found here https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack says the following about the Smart Attire dress code (emphasis mine).

"Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress."

That same "What to pack" page provides this illustration for the Smart Attire dress code which has been the subject of debate on this forum in the past. The gentleman in the lower right does not appear to be wearing a collared shirt. Some would say he is not really wearing a dress shirt either.

smart-collage2.jpg.image.480.480.high.jp

However the dress code as stated once on board in the daily programmes which I quoted above does state "collared shirt" for gentlemen as the Smart Attire dress code.

I won't attempt to be the arbiter of how to interpret this. I'll confine my role to mentioning the issue.

Hi, 

I have not sailed with Cunard since April / May 2019, but I have a cruise booked on the Queen Elizabeth for July 2022. It seems that the dress code has changed since my last sailing and jackets are no longer required on Smart Attire evenings. However, I agree that this is confusing (the written description seems to be inconsistent with the photos). 

5 hours ago, bitob said:

Yes. That’s the photo I saw 

that is a t shirt!  Not silk

can u blame me for being confused?

This is insane 

I don't believe it is a t-shirt. I've always thought the green top in the picture is a jumper (i.e. knitwear). The images are misleading though but the text clearly says 'a dress shirt'. I don't think a t-shirt could be classed as a dress shirt.

I don't know why it's so hard for men to wear a jacket and tie to dinner - I must have been alive too long; I seem to have the impression that a jacket and tie would just be dressing properly for dinner on a ship.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bitob said:

Yes. That’s the photo I saw 

that is a t shirt!  Not silk

can u blame me for being confused?

This is insane 

I agree, bonkers and it confuses the heck out of many.

Think of the RH photos as afternoon tea daywear for those who like to change out of more casual 'deckwear' for their experience, and the LH photos as more appropriate evening  'smart'. Tie not needed and jacket optional unless Cunard revert back to 'required'. 🙂

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I agree, bonkers and it confuses the heck out of many.

Think of the RH photos as afternoon tea daywear for those who like to change out of more casual 'deckwear' for their experience, and the LH photos as more appropriate evening  'smart'. Tie not needed and jacket optional unless Cunard revert back to 'required'. 🙂

But remember the air conditioning. 😀

Absolutely confusing, we disembarked the Queen Elizabeth on Sunday, jackets  ties or evening suits only required on gala or formal nights, we were quite appalled at some of the guests interpretations of informal, in the MDR we saw T-shirts no collars ,cut off or half mast cargo pants and plastic croc shoes.Cunard please get a grip and stick to the dress codes that we love and know.Surely it’s no hardship to dress smartly for dinner.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Absolutely confusing, we disembarked the Queen Elizabeth on Sunday, jackets  ties or evening suits only required on gala or formal nights, we were quite appalled at some of the guests interpretations of informal, in the MDR we saw T-shirts no collars ,cut off or half mast cargo pants and plastic croc shoes.Cunard please get a grip and stick to the dress codes that we love and know.Surely it’s no hardship to dress smartly for dinner.

It’s a mindset……

As previously stated, one will establish one’s diary for Dress Code when on Cunard, by maintaining a Tux on the Gala Evenings (may consider White Tie), then on a smart attire evening, reviving “Semi-Formal” (Dark Suit & Tie), also bringing back “Informal” (Tailored Jacket/Blazer & Tie), sprinkled with an occasional smart casual jacket.  Of course with the correct and matching footwear.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, bitob said:

I guess I still have no definitive answer but I appreciate the replies 

I think the key is "dress nice."  A silk t-shirt with a handsome jacket is fine.  A logo t-shirt with a lumberjack shirt over it, not so much. 

Edited by alc13

Just now, alc13 said:

I think the key is "dress nice."  A silk t-shirt with a handsome jacket is fine.  A logo t-shirt with a lumberjack shirt over it,, not so much. 

Thx. My husband is a handsome devil and is beautifully dressed. I’m sticking with silk t and sport jacket for casual and tux for formal