The Daily for Saturday 03/12/2022

richwmn

Happy Saturday to all.  My it is busy here today!!  Happy Birthday to all celebrating.  Lots of March birthdays--mine at the end of the month will be #80, so don't know whether to laugh or cry about that number.  @richwmn, thanks for the wisdom a few posts ago.  Also thanks to you and @rafinmdfor all your work in keeping the Daily going. Everyone, including F&B ladies, do so much to make this a wonderful place.  

I am happy to say that I am pretty well handling my COVID fatigue, so please remove me for the rotation.  There are others with far more serious problems that need prayers from us all.  @StLouisCruisers, my special prayers for Buddy.  I had a very dear Uncle Buddy that was so special.

I have tried to do genealogy on both my family and that of DH.  Really didn't get much farther than the parts that we already knew.  @USN59-79, I would love to take your advice, but I am the oldest now, so if anyone sees me talking to myself, you know why.

@Cruise Suzy, I am very familiar with the area of the tornado.  We used to drive that when we lived in Crystal River on our way to a "big town", Ocala.  Prayers for all who have been affected by that storm.  @cat shepard, hope the tornadoes go off into the atmosphere before getting to your area.

@dfish, I think the recipes from today will be great during the summer when everyone I know is giving me zucchini!  Since I usually don't eat my burgers with a bun, it should be a nice break from so much meat.  Especially now when meat is getting so expensive.

I am still questioning the Baltics cruise in October, so I might cancel that one and try to book something for late summer.  Still plan to do the 150th Anniversary TA in October.

Have a great rest of the day everyone.  Sending prayers for the care list and shouts of joy for those celebrating!!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Well, the City of Saint Paul had a special birthday gift for Mitzi - NO WATER 😬!

Apparently, there is a water main break down the road and they needed to shut it off for "a few hours". I was in the middle of prepping the eggplant parmesan and spaghetti squash. I filled enough containers with water to be able to do the cooking, but we could be without flushable toilets for awhile. So Niall and Emilee agreed to reschedule until tomorrow. Luckily, I am at a stage (sweating the eggplant, squash in oven) where I can hold the food until tomorrow. 

"May you live in interesting times"

We’ll, you have managed to give Mitzi a memorable birthday dinner. Not in the way you intended, but it definitely won’t just blur together with all the others!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I do appreciate them.

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, does your area have a Senior or healthcare advocate who might be able to help navigate the red tape?

❤️

Not really, - the only assistance I’ve found is a bit with the Social Services person and the nursing homes regarding advice, procedure, etc.

I’ve talked to several who have been in my boat and they had the same experience.  

There’s little support but I did find ALS has a therapist who may be of help as to how to handle things, ways to talk to Jose or divert him, etc.

I am pretty determined so I have cut through the road blocks and Jose will now be on the list in a couple of weeks but that reality hurts a lot.  Once he is I will persevere with the places of my choosing and see what I can do to try to expedite things.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

As my mother was getting dementia, I gathered up all the photos I could find, and asked her about the people in them. She could remember long ago, even if she couldn't remember things from a few hours before. I was grateful to learn what I could from her of her family.

I videotaped both of my parents talking about their families.  My uncle helped with my dad's recollections.  We actually think my uncle was a little off.  

@cruzn single I am happy to hear that you are handling the COVID fatigue and hopefully it will fade away.  Glad you like the recipes and yes, it is something to do with all that zucchini.  

• Like 17

First of all I want to say thanks to Jacqui @kazufor her post today.  We're glad to hear from you, and will be sure to pray for strength and determination for you to continue helping Jose.  🙏

Many thanks for extra prayers today for Buddy to @Seaviewer @JazzyV, @irishjim, @cat shepard, @smitty34877, @rafinmd, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @Cruzin Terri, @ger_77, @dfish, @bennybear, and @cruzn single.   I can't imagine what he's going through and hope we continue to hear he's feeling better.

And finally thanks to all who posted the beautiful photos today of Santorini.  What a mood booster!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Good evening, Dailyites!  Been waiting all day to make this post.

Currently in Billboard Onboard (NS) sipping on my new found gin (Nolet’s) and tonic 😋

ADD92EBA-31F1-4CFE-80B5-E181CBDB7F2A.thumb.jpeg.072564fbe2244e6f9cde1538428597de.jpeg

Kay

Yes, discovered Nolet's on the Rotterdam a few weeks back. Not a huge gin drinker, but this was rather special. First one at the Dutch Cafe, but available in all bars as far as I know. 

Don't post often, but thoughts and prayers to all on the care list and Ukrainians which we have been fortunate enough to visit twice prior to this last horrid attempt at destruction of the country. 

• Like 18

9 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Nearby storm/tornado caused a lot of damage in Ocala about 8:15 am today.  We are in the northeast corner of the city; the storm hit in the southwest portion. Still under a tornado watch.

The damage is just west of I-75, mostly along FL-200 (big box store/mall area) and in a subdivision due east of there on the other side of I-75. Roofs gone, fences down, windows blown out, etc. Storm also went through On Top Of The World (a couple miles sw of the city limits) with less damage. Reports still coming in, but no injuries so far. FL200 is still closed west of I-75.

I hope there wasn't too much damage and people hurt.  They are having the 2 year old in training sale there next week and many young horses  and their caregivers bunched all together in the stables but I think it is in northern Ocala.  We just drove through there last Sunday coming home from FL.  Lots of wind evident in your area all day today from Tampa Bay Downs to the big golf tourney in Ponte Vedra.   

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you for the birthday wishes.

Lenda

I hope you had a happy birthday today, Lenda.  And I hope we can meet on the Koningsdam.  I’ll let you know how the booking goes, and if we have a room number or just a guarantee.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Sorry I haven’t been on the Daily for the last few days.

I just haven’t been in a good place and tired of fighting B.S., bureaucracy, feeling helpless & just plain tired.  And just didn’t seem to have time to keep up.

I’m alive and kicking, never fear.  Hoping to be back when I can pick myself up a little bit and can post some good memes as this is a great place to be ♥️ 

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, Roy for the lists & all of you for caring.

My continued prayers for everyone on the Care list and joy in the Celebration list.

Sorry you are having such a hard time of it, Jacqui.   I hope they can arrange a good place for Jose, near you, and things go more smoothly now.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We just finished a wonderful dinner in Tamarind, and ate too much.  But what the heck, you only have one birthday a year.  DH even arranged for a birthday cake.  And you only attain 3/4 of a century once.

20220312_202111_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c6c31e621188f00dc69e0e2ae7b7d88.jpg

Lenda

Great picture of you two Lenda!!  And your cake looks yummy. 

• Like 3