Bottle of Wine in your Cabin question ...

gomama5996

In the past we have always each brought along a bottle of Cabernet to have in our cabin. I realize that now we can STILL do that but will be charged a $20 corkage fee per bottle.  So my question is ...

Is there a place on board that we can purchase a bottle for our cabin?  It seems like I recall the alcohol in the gift shop is held until the end of your cruise. If they even have wine - seems like I'm only remembering bottles of liquor.

I did notice that a "bonvoyage package" can be purchased for $47. But that is for a bottle of sparkling champagne upon departure.  Also, in the past we have purchased a wine package of 6 or 8 bottles that were kept and served to us in the various restaurants, but I'm unable to even find THAT on the HAL website.

Just seems like the hassle of finding a place to purchase wine upon arrival in Fort Lauderdale is not worth it anymore when we have to pay $20 per bottle on top of that. Would prefer to just spend $40 or $50 and purchase a bottle directly from HAL.  Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!  (Leaving next month on the Nieuw Amsterdam / Panama Canal crossing!)

• Like 1

If you know how to get to your cruise details on the websiter (Manage My Bookings) look under Cruise Activities.   You'll find all kinds of things you can order.  I have ordered wine for the stateroom that way.  You can also pre-order the wine packages.

28 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Just curious - when did HAL institute a corkage fee, and where can I find that info on their website?

"Effective for all guests sailing January 31, 2014, or later, Holland America Line has a new Alcoholic Beverage Policy in place. The new policy for bringing alcoholic beverages on board a cruise will standardize Holland America Line’s policy with others in the industry.  Guests (21 years of older) will now be limited to one bottle per person of wine or champagne at embarkation at no charge if consumed in the stateroom. Guests wishing to bring more than one bottle of wine or champagne bottle (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where the bottle is intended to be consumed."

Edited by Crew News

This info is from the FAQ section of the HAL website - and yes, you can open it yourself, "corkage fee" is just the term for the charge. 

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

42 minutes ago, Crew News said:

"Effective for all guests sailing January 31, 2014, or later, Holland America Line has a new Alcoholic Beverage Policy in place.  Guests (21 years of older) will now be limited to one bottle per person of wine or champagne at embarkation at no charge if consumed in the stateroom. 

We were familiar with that policy and have often brought a bottle each to be consumed in our stateroom. However, it appears that the policy was revised in 2021. (thanks gomama).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, john2003 said:

I am still confused about the policy currently in effect. Specifically, can we still bring 2 bottles, one each,  in our hand baggage when we originally board without paying corkage.

The current policy (as opposed to the one from 2014) seems pretty clear:

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less)...

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person)."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that wine purchased while on one of the ship's excursions will be exempt implies that in all other circumstances there will be a charge to bring wine on board.

Edited by daisy-mae

On the January 2nd Nieuw Statendam ten day sailing we brought three bottles of wine with us. While going through the security checkpoint we were advised to speak with the liquor police officer who was standing at a table to the right of us. The officer, a member of the bar staff advised us that we could either toss the bottles or pay a corkage fee of twenty dollars per bottle plus an eighteen percent gratuity fee. He also asked us how much we paid for a bottle of Meomi Pino Noir. We decided to keep the bottles and my wife signed the paper receipt. He explained that the charge will show up on our sign and sail bill. For whatever reason we were never charged for the three bottles. We did pay for the alcoholic beverage package and my twenty four year old son doesn’t drink alcohol at all. We were told during the cruise that the wine policy changed in the fall of 2021.

It should be only $20 corkage per bottle.  No extra gratuity should be added.

From HAL website "Know Before You Go.  FAQ"

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Edited by oakridger
Added info

On 3/16/2022 at 12:41 PM, john2003 said:

I am still confused about the policy currently in effect. Specifically, can we still bring 2 bottles, one each,  in our hand baggage when we originally board without paying corkage.

NOPE!

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

It should be only $20 corkage per bottle.  No extra gratuity should be added.

I think the gratuity is added because you can bring your bottle to the dining room and ask the sommelier to open it and pour.

28 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

I think the gratuity is added because you can bring your bottle to the dining room and ask the sommelier to open it and pour.

Previously, at least, the gratuity was included in the corkage fee. That's pre-covid shutdown, when the corkage fee was $18. 
Others who have posted since the resumption of sailing have listed the corkage as $20/bottle; until this post, no one has noted ' + gratuity'. 

It's more likely than not that whoever said the new corkage fee is $20 + gratuity misspoke. 

On 3/15/2022 at 4:04 PM, GrandmaOhio said:

So I can’t open my bottle of wine in my cabin myself?

Goodness, no! Only a professional can open a bottle of wine.

As a certified wine officiant (We use the term, "Wine-O," to denote our years of training.), [pretty sure that last comma is misplaced. Gotta check with a grammar lover, aka Gramophone.]

Totally lost the old train of thought...

The answer is "Yes." You can open your own bottle of wine in your stateroom. (Use "stateroom." Sounds fancier than cabin. Do not use "suite." The "A suite is more than one room" people will hunt you down and harass you with tiny slings and arrows.)

Edited by POA1
Spell check. It's evil.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Previously, at least, the gratuity was included in the corkage fee. That's pre-covid shutdown, when the corkage fee was $18. 
Others who have posted since the resumption of sailing have listed the corkage as $20/bottle; until this post, no one has noted ' + gratuity'. 

It's more likely than not that whoever said the new corkage fee is $20 + gratuity misspoke. 

Perhaps, but I will probably forgo our customary two bottles upon embarkation. It was nice while it lasted...

If I purchase a wine package, can I request to bring a bottle or 2 to my stateroom?  Where would I go to ask?  Or if I purchase pre-boarding, can I request that 2 bottles be left in my cabin upon embarkation?

Edited by trixiee

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

Goodness, no! Only a professional can open a bottle of wine.

I should have chosen that route.  Trying to open a bottle of wine in my stateroom, somehow, the neck of the bottle broke, cutting my thumb, and requiring an emergency late at night trip to the Medical Center.  

It was an another interesting cruise experience, however.  The next morning, I received a visit by the Eurodam's Chief Security Officer to take a report, a follow up phone call a day later from the Front Office to see how my thumb was doing, and a nice large bandage on my thumb with the instructions to keep it dry.  (No more Hydrotherapy Pool for me on that cruise and I had to inform the Spa Attendant about the thumb so that she wouldn't attempt to do anything with my hand with that thumb when I had a massage.)  

4 hours ago, trixiee said:

If I purchase a wine package, can I request to bring a bottle or 2 to my stateroom?  Where would I go to ask?  Or if I purchase pre-boarding, can I request that 2 bottles be left in my cabin upon embarkation?

You can definitely have some (or all) of the bottles in your cabin.  Just let them know when you order it, or at any time during the cruise.    

• Like 1