Throw out the tux, give me luxury without the formality

cruiseny4life

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

Celebrity previously eliminated formal wear night in favor of 'chic' night, with much more relaxed dress suggestions.  I assume that is still in place.  I like their approach.    

Celebrity correctly gauged where the market was going and reacted accordingly.

As in hockey...you want to be positioned where the puck is going, not where it was in the last play.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, iancal said:

As in hockey...you want to be positioned where the puck is going, not where it was in the last play.

Wayne Gretzky was a master at this and it got him into the Hockley Hall of Fame. Unfortunately must cruise line managements are almost always behind the play and never anticipating where the puck will be. Most of them will be stuck on the Johnstown Jets forever! 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, iancal said:

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Wayne Gretzky was a master at this and it got him into the Hockley Hall of Fame. Unfortunately must cruise line managements are almost always behind the play and never anticipating where the puck will be. Most of them will be stuck on the Johnstown Jets forever! 😉 

Even though I don't follow the sport, I get it.  😃   I've been to one hockey game.  It was the Seals, if that puts a date on it.   Still don't really understand the rules.  They keep calling "icing".  Kind of like going back court in BB I guess.     

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Even though I don't follow the sport, I get it.  😃   I've been to one hockey game.  It was the Seals, if that puts a date on it.   Still don't really understand the rules.  They keep calling "icing".  Kind of like going back court in BB I guess.     

That was a while ago. My coach when I was 7 or 8 was a former Seals player when they were just the Oakland Seals. He had the cool white and green skates. That was '69 - '70 ish. What I remember about him was he insisted me, as the goalie, wear players equipment and learn to skate just like regular player. At that age all I wanted to be was Jonny Bower, the Toronto Maple Leafs great. So I argued with him to allow me to practice as a goalie. I won the argument! The outdoor rink we practiced at was just across the street from Ken Dryden's parent's home, so my dream was that Ken would to drop by one day and see me practice as a goalie. Of course, Ken lived in Montreal and played for the Canadiens but had to visit his parents at some time, didn't he? Years later I realized my coach was 100% right. I had to re-learn how to skate properly when I started coaching my own kids 20 or so years later. No wonder he got to play in the NHL and I didn't. 

BTW you're not alone about  "icing" and going back court in BB. Both are just weird rules! 🙂

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

The dress code problem could easily be solved by designating ONE of the dining rooms, on a specific night, to be a formal-wear dining room- a designated dining room for one night for those who like to dress to the nines. 

Everyone else can go to the other dining room.

This will please those who want to dress up to the nines and those who don't.

May I add, that the formal-wear dining room should add a theme, such as having a 2=piece classical music or a band or flamenco dancers- I went to a dinner show in Spain and it was lovely.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lyannea said:

The dress code problem could easily be solved by designating ONE of the dining rooms, on a specific night, to be a formal-wear dining room- a designated dining room for one night for those who like to dress to the nines. 

May I add, that the formal-wear dining room should add a theme, such as having a 2=piece classical music or a band or flamenco dancers- I went to a dinner show in Spain and it was lovely.

That is a pretty good idea, but probably not practical on a lot of ships.  

I think eliminate all dress cods and implement a requirement for everyone to wear Roman togas.  Don't even need to bring one because we can just use sheets.  Would need instruction on how to fold of course.   Who could possible object!  😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is a pretty good idea, but probably not practical on a lot of ships.  

I think eliminate all dress cods and implement a requirement for everyone to wear Roman togas.  Don't even need to bring one because we can just use sheets.  Would need instruction on how to fold of course.   Who could possible object!  😄

Will I be required to wear underwear with this poorly tied toga?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think eliminate all dress cods and implement a requirement for everyone to wear Roman togas.  Don't even need to bring one because we can just use sheets.  Would need instruction on how to fold of course.

But would we have to wear dress togas on certain evenings -- you know, the ones with the pretty purple stripe signifying our patrician status? Or purple allover if we are lucky enough to be part of the imperial family?  I suppose those would probably be supplied for free for suite customers....🤣

More importantly, would we get to recline on couches while eating? 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But would we have to wear dress togas on certain evenings -- you know, the ones with the pretty purple stripe signifying our patrician status? Or purple allover if we are lucky enough to be part of the imperial family?  I suppose those would probably be supplied for free for suite customers....🤣

More importantly, would we get to recline on couches while eating? 

5 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Coloring should be based on cabin level booked....you know, so we know who the peasants are

Aw, I was thinking more like the toga party in Animal House.  🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Does your food taste better if you are dressed like a slob?

Ohmygosh! Ya gotta try it! Make sure there's a ketchup, mustard, and mayo stain on the shirt....just extra dipping sauce! 

#slob4eva!

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ohmygosh! Ya gotta try it! Make sure there's a ketchup, mustard, and mayo stain on the shirt....just extra dipping sauce! 

#slob4eva!

If that's what makes you happy. 

I prefer showing just a tad of respect to my table mates.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Does your food taste better if you are dressed like a slob?

IDK, I don't dress like a slob.   Does yours taste better when you make rude remarks?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/8/2022 at 2:05 AM, lyannea said:

The last time we cruised on NCL, the ship we were on had 3 dining rooms with exactly the same menu and food.  Only one had a dress code that basically allowed anything except shorts, the other two did allow shorts.  You guessed it - every night there people trying to go in with shorts and getting very angry that they were being sent to another dining room.  Some standing around complaining for more than 30 minutes...

Dress codes for mass market businesses are probably a thing of the past.  Just have to learn to embrace change.

2 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

You guessed it - every night there people trying to go in with shorts and getting very angry that they were being sent to another dining room.

That makes no sense! The dining rooms have the same exact menu, at least they did on the Getaway. I am obviously one who doesn't want a dress code...well I guess having clothes on would be my nice, but seriously, if there are places on board where a dress code needs to be adhered to, then just simply don't go there. 

See y'all, I have a modicum of respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

The last time we cruised on NCL, the ship we were on had 3 dining rooms with exactly the same menu and food.  Only one had a dress code that basically allowed anything except shorts, the other two did allow shorts.  You guessed it - every night there people trying to go in with shorts and getting very angry that they were being sent to another dining room.  Some standing around complaining for more than 30 minutes...

Dress codes for mass market businesses are probably a thing of the past.  Just have to learn to embrace change.

This is why I don’t believe it when someone writes that ‘if you want to dress up, go ahead. I’m on vacation………yada, yada, yada’ 

If that were the case, they’d have no problem going to the perspective dining room. They’re basically acting like what they’re accusing people who want  a dress code of doing.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Not as good as when you have superior dress, apparently

On 5/10/2022 at 2:01 AM, ldubs said:

IDK, I don't dress like a slob.   Does yours taste better when you make rude remarks?  

One of the enjoyable facets of travelling is interacting with other people.  Seated meals happen to be fairly good opportunities to interact.

Showing respect for others - clean hands, for example - is appropriate - as is wearing clean clothes - possibly even slightly more formal clothes than what is worn while out playing.

Of course, in an environment where the sole purpose of meal time is to fill ones belly and avoid having to interact with others none of the above is relevant.  But if you are willing to take the chance of interacting with other people, it helps to comply with some basic social norms - such as a dress code (of whatever level might be signaled by your host - the cruise line).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

One of the enjoyable facets of travelling is interacting with other people.  Seated meals happen to be fairly good opportunities to interact.

Showing respect for others - clean hands, for example - is appropriate - as is wearing clean clothes - possibly even slightly more formal clothes than what is worn while out playing.

I have no problem with this.  Though I have no difficulty interacting with someone wearing less formal clothes.  To get back to your question, what someone else is wearing has no impact on how my food tastes.  However, the most well dressed person will severely impact my enjoyment if they constantly whine about everything not to their liking and make rude judgmental remarks thinking somehow that is witty social interaction.     

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, in an environment where the sole purpose of meal time is to fill ones belly and avoid having to interact with others none of the above is relevant.  But if you are willing to take the chance of interacting with other people, it helps to comply with some basic social norms - such as a dress code (of whatever level might be signaled by your host - the cruise line).

Let's not forget politeness and manners.  Those trump how someone is dressed every time.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I have no problem with this.  Though I

Let's not forget politeness and manners.  Those trump how someone is dressed every time.    

Of course they do - and dressing appropriately to the occasion is one basic exhibition of politeness and manners.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1