Throw out the tux, give me luxury without the formality

cruiseny4life

On the majority of lines there are typically two "dress codes" on a cruise ship. The first is the "recommended" dress on fancy pants night. The second is the attire (typically beach wear) that will prompt the staff to deny you access to the MDR.  The first dress code is a request. The second dress code is a requirement. 

If my collared polo shirt and casual trousers are acceptable to the people in charge then the opinions of other diners are of no relevance. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 9:51 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Looking down your nose and ascribing motivation to people who enjoy dressing up is no better than looking down your nose and being critical of people who don't enjoy dressing up.  I personally always adhered to the dress code the cruise line established and didn't much care what other people wore.

Absolutely. It works both ways! I do believe one crowd is more worried/disgusted about what the other crowd is wearing though. 

On 3/19/2022 at 2:23 PM, HxFx said:

Have you ever looked at the Tommy Bahama collar shirts? I think they look great and very cool temperature wise (with their more expensive material) and very comfy. They are definitely not made to be tucked in. They go well with caribbean dressy. My husband is a larger fellow and they look great on him. He wears them with those comfy travel pants (very lightweight and don't wrinkle much). Just a thought if you really want to cruise and not be limited. Good luck!

I will second this. As a slob who hates dress shirts and ties, I absolutely love Tommy Bahama (normally $100ish per article). The IslandZone or IslandActive are some of the most comfortable materials out there.

• Like 1

clothes and what everyone considers "appropriate" is always a hot and fun topic.  Haven't had one for awhile.

I would buy my now-ex Tommy Bahama shirts and shorts because they actually fit his 6'5" frame, even the long-sleeved ones.  And they were accepted at our country club and any resort golf course we hit.  He had one pair of Khakis that he used for trade shows that he'd drag with him on vacations where there was a possibility he had to wear pants in the evening (like the Ritz Carlton on Maui and the Four Seasons on Lanai) in their public areas.  Otherwise, we'd slip down the utility stairs...

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this in the other five pages, but Virgin Voyages don't have a dress code.

Many people did put a collared shirt or a dress on for dinner, but you didn't have to, there were still plenty of people in just t-shirts. Bascially don't go to a restaurant in pool clothes and you are fine.

23 hours ago, slidergirl said:

clothes and what everyone considers "appropriate" is always a hot and fun topic.  Haven't had one for awhile.

I would buy my now-ex Tommy Bahama shirts and shorts because they actually fit his 6'5" frame, even the long-sleeved ones.  And they were accepted at our country club and any resort golf course we hit.  He had one pair of Khakis that he used for trade shows that he'd drag with him on vacations where there was a possibility he had to wear pants in the evening (like the Ritz Carlton on Maui and the Four Seasons on Lanai) in their public areas.  Otherwise, we'd slip down the utility stairs...

I don't believe asking a grown man to wear pants vs shorts is considered "formality. " 

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I don't believe asking a grown man to wear pants vs shorts is considered "formality. " 

To each her own.  As a woman, I was not told I could not wear shorts...

Ritz Carlton Kapalua; fake pomposity to the max.  it was like the Ritz Carlton Boston was dropped on the site, with all the furnishings.  Was nothing like what a tropical resort should be.  

37 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

To each her own.  As a woman, I was not told I could not wear shorts...

Ritz Carlton Kapalua; fake pomposity to the max.  it was like the Ritz Carlton Boston was dropped on the site, with all the furnishings.  Was nothing like what a tropical resort should be.  

An organization using a name like “Ritz Carlton” is fairly likely to have some aspirations.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone - I'm happy to report back that my husband and I had an amazing cruise on NCL!

There were no levels of pomposity (amazing word @slidergirl)!

We wore t-shirts, bathing suits, and sport shorts the entire time even in Cagneys and the Haven Restaurant. Only one lady in the Haven gave us a look after leaving the hot tub and immediately coming to the Haven Restaurant. It was a relaxing and wonderful experience. 

Thanks to everyone for your comments, even if you weren't too happy with our decision to go informal. I appreciate everyone for being so open and helpful. 

@dolittle I forgot my hat so my head was a wee bit red after the sun finally peaked out on our last day in Bermuda. I did follow the rules...but only because I didn't want to purchase an ugly hat - also...my husband would kill me if I wore a cap inside (he's a little more civilized than I when on vacation...just a little haha)! 

Looks like we may just stick with the Haven on NCL, rather than trying other lines unless we go exploration (Uncruise, Lindblad, etc.) or on a small sailing ship when we want interesting ports without the tourist trappings. Pretty sure they won't mind a couple of slouches on those cruises.

If you'd like to read my full review of the cruise and see some photos, head over to the NCL forums: 

I do not see the issue.

We stopped dressing for so called formal nights years ago.  Never an issue for us.  We simply dined in the buffet.   We enjoy seeing others dressed up but we have no desire to do so.

Life if too short.  Live and let live.  There is room for all on a cruise.  Really...why sweat the details over one, two, or more nights on a cruise.  Hardly worth the effort.

We do no really care what others wear.  We cannot control it so why get our shirts in a knot over it.  This is the purview of the ships management team...not us.

Besides....how many cruisers actually read this form.  And for those who do, how many care about the opinions of others on this issue. We certainly do not.

Edited by iancal

Some posters are very strange.  They do not understand that not everyone acts or thinks in the same way that they do.

Over the years we have had comments like...don't you want to dress up for your wife to please her.  Well er  no.......DW is the better half who first suggested, in the middle of a cruise, that we go casual from now on.

And then there were other comments such as .....you can always buy an inexpensive suit or tux at a charity shop.  Some even included a link to an on line store where inexpensive tuxedos could be purchased.    I had a closet full of suits that I wore every work day...THAT was hardly the issue.

Other than cruising who on earth would take a tux or a suit on vacation.  Not me!

Or...you could always rent on on board. Really why would I want to rent someone else's clothing?

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

What a strange thread!  i still don't know what 'lounge' pants are.  Pajama bottoms?

I'm glad the OP enjoyed their NCL cruise.  We like them too, even though we don't sail in the Haven.  We've never dressed down as much as they did.  But then we like to dress up a little since we almost never do in our every day life.

I also think it is funny that the OP really, really objected to judgemental people but then judged all kinds of people!  We no longer do 'formal' dressing but when we did we did it for the fun of getting dressed up, not to be prententious or snobby or for attention.  We did it for us.  We still dress nicely, just not tux and evening gown.  

• Like 2

I've seen all kinds of dress on formal night. Although I prefer the dressier version (come on, it's only 1 or 2 nights a year for most people!) and I kind of miss that, as long as you dress casually (I've even seen khakis with polo shirts on formal night), you should be fine.

1 hour ago, aaroncstrong said:

@Nebr.cruiserhere are the pants I consider lounge pants. No clue if that's what they really are, but it's what I was referencing. They're cute and comfy! 

As for being judgy...well perhaps I was a wee bit. 🙂 Oh well...it's life and happens. Have a happy next cruise!!

Ah, got it.  It's what I would call pajama bottoms.  I dress down when at home, (think running shorts in summer) but step it up a bit when going out in public.  Step it up meaning longer shorts or jeans or leggings.  

Hey, let's face it, we are all judgy--my post was too!  Glad you enjoyed your cruise.  We are trying to put together a cruise/land tour in Australia, so that may be what's next.

22 hours ago, iancal said:

I do not see the issue.

We stopped dressing for so called formal nights years ago.  Never an issue for us.  We simply dined in the buffet.   We enjoy seeing others dressed up but we have no desire to do so.

Life if too short.  Live and let live.  There is room for all on a cruise.  Really...why sweat the details over one, two, or more nights on a cruise.  Hardly worth the effort.

We do no really care what others wear.  We cannot control it so why get our shirts in a knot over it.  This is the purview of the ships management team...not us.

Besides....how many cruisers actually read this form.  And for those who do, how many care about the opinions of others on this issue. We certainly do not.

I agree for the most part however am not prepared to self-exile to the buffet simply to appease the sartorially resplendent who would look askance at anyone who did meet their expected standards of MDR elegance. If the people in charge of the dining room don't mind the people who are eating there shouldn't either. 

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I agree for the most part however am not prepared to self-exile to the buffet simply to appease the sartorially resplendent who would look askance at anyone who did meet their expected standards of MDR elegance. If the people in charge of the dining room don't mind the people who are eating there shouldn't either. 

We cruise main stream lines and have not noticed people looking askance at those dressed down.  Maybe if truly dirty/tattered/bathing suits or something in the main DR?  you might see that.

Even on 'formal' nights now, jeans, khakis, tee shirts, etc. can be seen.  I enjoy seeing people actually in gowns and tuxes, although we don't anymore.  My DH, for instance, only wears sandals or walking shoes, no matter the dress code, due to foot problems.  He does usually bring a blazer for the dress up nights.

3 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We cruise main stream lines and have not noticed people looking askance at those dressed down.  Maybe if truly dirty/tattered/bathing suits or something in the main DR?  you might see that.

Even on 'formal' nights now, jeans, khakis, tee shirts, etc. can be seen.  I enjoy seeing people actually in gowns and tuxes, although we don't anymore.  My DH, for instance, only wears sandals or walking shoes, no matter the dress code, due to foot problems.  He does usually bring a blazer for the dress up nights.

Walking shoes & sandals.  Put some sequins on them and all will be good.  😀

• Like 1

There really are no more real formal nights on your average cruise lines . I dropped my tux about 5 years ago since there were less then ten percent of people dressed up. Did go thru a few tux’s starting in the 80’s . Even a sports jacket isn’t really needed. Was surprised ate how casual people dressed on celebrity edge cruise last summer. 

6 hours ago, George C said:

There really are no more real formal nights on your average cruise lines . I dropped my tux about 5 years ago since there were less then ten percent of people dressed up. Did go thru a few tux’s starting in the 80’s . Even a sports jacket isn’t really needed. Was surprised ate how casual people dressed on celebrity edge cruise last summer. 

Celebrity previously eliminated formal wear night in favor of 'chic' night, with much more relaxed dress suggestions.  I assume that is still in place.  I like their approach.    

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

I am retired, parents are dead, kids are wed.

I don't own or need a tie anymore

Sounds like the lyrics from a country song.  😃

• Like 1