Throw out the tux, give me luxury without the formality

cruiseny4life

5 minutes ago, lyannea said:

I agree with you on that point, thank you for bringing it up. It could be a special dinner like the Chef's Table, called Tuxes and Ball Gowns. I'm not sure how many people would really go for it, as everyone is packing less and concentrating on a comfy vacay,  I like the idea- one wouldn't HAVE to be subjected to it, unless interested.  

A formal ball for a fee.  I wonder if there would be sufficient interest?  I am thinking there could be, except of the packing issue you mention.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

A formal ball for a fee.  I wonder if there would be sufficient interest?  I am thinking there could be, except of the packing issue you mention.  

Back in the day, one could rent a tux close to the cruise line and I think that a few lines like Carnival & Princess had the ability to rent once onboard, if you specified ahead of time.

If it was profitable back then, who Knows ? 

On 5/31/2022 at 9:36 AM, DarrenM said:

And I agree there are standards that any decent human would adhere to.

So you are actually saying that there should be a dress code !

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

8 hours ago, lyannea said:

Back in the day, one could rent a tux close to the cruise line and I think that a few lines like Carnival & Princess had the ability to rent once onboard, if you specified ahead of time.

But, back in the old days, I wonder how many were renting a Tux because they had to, not because they wanted to.  Either way it is an interesting concept. I know of some folks who would find a gala event appealing to the point they would pay extra for it.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, iancal said:

I think that ‘gala’ is a bit of a stretch and has been for quite a few years.

??  We were blue sky'g about an optional Tux and gown event for those that prefer a formal venue.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

So you are actually saying that there should be a dress code !

Well when you out it like that.......lol

If asking people to have a shower and not stink like boris johnsons underpants then yes......I want a dress code.

It's a pretty loose description of a dress code mind.

12 hours ago, lyannea said:

I am 56 years old and I have never worn a tux and never will.

I wont go into why or what I dislike about black tie occasions, events.

Having just left celebrity reflection I think you would be lucky to fill one of the public toilets with those dressed up.

If celebrity can afford to put on a specific event for so few then they have too much money.

Infact I think most people now are even avoiding the speciality restaurants as they all seemed empty, and all cruise they were doing a garden sell trying to get us in them.

The things most adults seemed.to enjoy were the sunset bar, the martini bar, and the passport bar.

Listening to some of you long time cruisers it seems.cruising had changed a lot, a very lot.

Edited by DarrenM
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

If asking people to have a shower and not stink like boris johnsons underpants then yes......I want a dress code.

In which case, I rest my case.

You want a dress code, as do most of us, and it is now just a matter of deciding on the code itself.

I just feel that shorts and wife beater shirts have no place in the MDR.

How's that for a minimum dress requirement?

• Haha 1

What is a wife beater shirt?

Others wearing shorts doesnt bother me. Some of the ugliest legs arent on fellas.

If women can wear short skirts then fellas can wear shorts.

Just get a wash, put on some deodorant and aftershave, and a clean shirt.

There. My dress code.

If we are  really going whole 9 yards then I would ban beards, and all facial hair, as I would rather sit.near someone in Bermuda shirts than a beardy with food stuck in it.

8 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

If we are  really going whole 9 yards then I would ban beards, and all facial hair, as I would rather sit.near someone in Bermuda shirts than a beardy with food stuck in it.

Excuse you @DarrenM! Ya know, I was agreeing with everything you've said thus far, then you just had to rip the gloves off...jeeze man. Well you fresh baby-faced people don't know the pleasure of having the mayo all over your top lip hair, or having a crumb-sized snack later in the day. 

But yes, don't smell bad, throw some clothes on (shorts, wife beater, tank top, flippy floppies) and enjoy your meal. @navybankerteacherwill just sit in the corner glaring while he eats his food that tastes better due to his crisp chinos and a fancy button down with loafers. 

As this is the internet, I will just mention that I'm kidding, so please don't take any of this personally. Just a bit of fun on a stormy Wednesday afternoon while I wait for my eighth meeting of the day to start at 4. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My perspective is that the cruise line sets the dress rules.

Cruise line staff implement the rules.   These are the people ultimately responsible for who gains entry to the MDR.

The rest is noise level.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iancal said:

Cruise line staff implement the rules.   These are the people ultimately responsible for who gains entry to the MDR.

The rest is noise level.

Agree.  And that dress code is set by market research, nothing more nothing less. If a line is super traditional that is because they have found that it is a marketing plan that works for them.   

There are consumers for every level of style

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

I think that ‘gala’ is a bit of a stretch and has been for quite a few years.

You may be right- less people are dressing up and just relaxing, which is why they're cruising in the first place.

Personally, I wear scrubs every day- for 12 hours a day and then go home to relax, in sweats or gym clothes.

We make it a point to really "dress-up" at least once or twice on a cruise, because we want to and enjoy planning what we're going to wear on those nights.

. It doesn't matter what others do, as long as they don't give us the stink-eye because we make different choices when we cruise. 

Now that I've read through this thread, it's apparent that many do. #sad

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Excuse you @DarrenM! Ya know, I was agreeing with everything you've said thus far, then you just had to rip the gloves off...jeeze man. Well you fresh baby-faced people don't know the pleasure of having the mayo all over your top lip hair, or having a crumb-sized snack later in the day. 

But yes, don't smell bad, throw some clothes on (shorts, wife beater, tank top, flippy floppies) and enjoy your meal. @navybankerteacherwill just sit in the corner glaring while he eats his food that tastes better due to his crisp chinos and a fancy button down with loafers. 

As this is the internet, I will just mention that I'm kidding, so please don't take any of this personally. Just a bit of fun on a stormy Wednesday afternoon while I wait for my eighth meeting of the day to start at 4. 

lol

10 hours ago, Can I Cruise said:

You may be right- less people are dressing up and just relaxing, which is why they're cruising in the first place.

Personally, I wear scrubs every day- for 12 hours a day and then go home to relax, in sweats or gym clothes.

We make it a point to really "dress-up" at least once or twice on a cruise, because we want to and enjoy planning what we're going to wear on those nights.

. It doesn't matter what others do, as long as they don't give us the stink-eye because we make different choices when we cruise. 

Just for the record, and I think I have stated this, I have no issue with folk dressing up. And you certainly wouldnt get looks for doing so.

As long as you didnt give me looks for wearing my budgie smugglers in the MDR.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iancal said:

The rest is noise level.

THIS!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I asked the original question. I wanted to find a luxury cruise line where I could dress in shorts and a t-shirt, and wear my flip flops. I didn't want to be "that guy" who looks completely out of place - honestly a little out of place is ok with me...but if everyone else is dressed in khakis and a button down, then I don't want to stumble in, iced tea in hand looking like a vacationing bum! 

I'll follow the rules of the cruise line. I wanted to find out from fellow travelers if I could wear shorts and a polo/clean t-shirt into the MDR of Regent, Seabourn, etc...in the process I've learned I cannot. No shade to those lines or individuals who choose that lifestyle. It's not me.

I've decided the best option for my husband and I is Norwegian's Haven. We can stay in the Haven area the entire cruise or venture out for activities and more food choices. We can go to the Haven Restaurant and look perfectly normal in our shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. No one will bat an eye. 

To each their own - if it's a formal cruise you want, enjoy! Heck, if Cunard asked me to join their ship in Queen Mary's Grill at no charge, I'll say absolutely and don that tuxedo every evening! I know how to gussy it up - I just don't really want to when I'm paying more than $10,000 for a vacation. 

@iancal - thank you for summing up the entire intent of my post in four sentences! I truly appreciate it. 

14 hours ago, Can I Cruise said:

And I apologize if I came off as one of those folks that are judgmental. In the heat of the thread I think I became a bit more animated than normal! 

I suppose if one did walk by me on a cruise in a tux or suit, I'd ask "why," but I'd also appreciate that they look nice. That's just not my style - so I'll not cast the first judgmental eyeball - just please don't judge my attire. As I mentioned above, I'm not in it to change a particular cruise line's dress code. I'm just here to be sure I find a dress code I'm comfortable adhering to. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

THIS!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I asked the original question. I wanted to find a luxury cruise line where I could dress in shorts and a t-shirt, and wear my flip flops. I didn't want to be "that guy" who looks completely out of place - honestly a little out of place is ok with me...but if everyone else is dressed in khakis and a button down, then I don't want to stumble in, iced tea in hand looking like a vacationing bum! 

I'll follow the rules of the cruise line. I wanted to find out from fellow travelers if I could wear shorts and a polo/clean t-shirt into the MDR of Regent, Seabourn, etc...in the process I've learned I cannot. No shade to those lines or individuals who choose that lifestyle. It's not me.

I've decided the best option for my husband and I is Norwegian's Haven. We can stay in the Haven area the entire cruise or venture out for activities and more food choices. We can go to the Haven Restaurant and look perfectly normal in our shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. No one will bat an eye. 

To each their own - if it's a formal cruise you want, enjoy! Heck, if Cunard asked me to join their ship in Queen Mary's Grill at no charge, I'll say absolutely and don that tuxedo every evening! I know how to gussy it up - I just don't really want to when I'm paying more than $10,000 for a vacation. 

@iancal - thank you for summing up the entire intent of my post in four sentences! I truly appreciate it. 

We gave up on dragging along formal clothing years ago.  In our view the our effort was non commensurate with the declining formal night festivities onvarious mass market cruise lines.

On the likes of Celebrity (one of our favs), Princess, RCI, NCL, HAL, etc we have worn shorts to the MDR at breakfast and at lunch.  No issue whatsoever.  At dinner I wear casual slacks and a collared shirt. But… I only wear collared shirts anyway.   On so called formal nights we hit the buffet or specialty restaurants.

Do we actually care if some on this forum implies that we are slobs because of this or because we only travel with carry on? Absolutely not. Their opinions are completely meaningless and without substance to us. We are not about to live our lives for others nor do we shrink like a couple of violets just because of some ill informed criticism on this forum.   

On 5/31/2022 at 9:30 PM, lyannea said:

I just copied a post from a Princess group, not to be mentioned on CC. It was posted 19 hours ago and I can't verify it actually happened, First for me.

Here it is:

This was new to me, but last night was the first time on our Caribbean Princess trip that I saw a lady being sent to change her outfit because it was inappropriate for Formal Night. She was in her thirties and wearing a kind of sundress/shorts thing.
There are often been men asked to leave. We had a young man beside us sent out because he was in shorts and when he came back he was in rather ratty jeans and he was asked to leave again. He came back in nice pants and that wasn't even a formal night, that was a couple nights ago on a smart casual night.
I asked the Maitre'D about it and he said they will cut people a lot of slack for the first and last nights, but want to maintain a standard on the rest of the nights.

493 Comments

Thanks Lyannea.  That sounds like the Princess I remember.  

Earlier this week I got off a Carnival cruise.  They allow shorts in the MDR at dinner, but not "cut-offs".   I actually didn't know cut-offs were still a thing.  Maybe they are making a come back.    I think they don't want shorts of any kind on their fancy night (whatever they call it) but could be mistaken.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks Lyannea.  That sounds like the Princess I remember.  

Earlier this week I got off a Carnival cruise.  They allow shorts in the MDR at dinner, but not "cut-offs".   I actually didn't know cut-offs were still a thing.  Maybe they are making a come back.    I think they don't want shorts of any kind on their fancy night (whatever they call it) but could be mistaken.  

Carnival calls it "cruise elegant" these days. I've seen people turned away at the MDR for things like cut-offs, swim trunks, and t-shirts, but I have also seen some get in wearing nicer shorts (Bermuda, khaki). I'm actually always surprised at the number of people who still dress up on Carnival. Personally I don't care what people wear, I just like to people watch.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, DarrenM said:

I'm reminded of a Winston Churchhill story.  

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

Now you're just haggling about where the dress code line goes.

4 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Personally I don't care what people wear, I just like to people watch.

You gave me an idea- maybe Carnival should step up, have fun & call one night 

‘the people watch night’

just to see what people would wear. 

• Haha 1