Celebrity cruise items off your packing list

mfs2k

12 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Can you still even get traveler's checks?

Guppy99 if you look at some news articles it was reported that American Express discontinued them Dec 2020 but if you go to their website they appear to be still available.  But many banks no longer issue them.  I think you can get them online.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:55 AM, TeeRick said:

I have learned that asking my dw to bring less shoes is not a productive conversation. 

LOL - side note.

Jeff Foxworthy has a new comedy special that just became available on Netflix.

There is a segment on his wife's  vacation packing and an imagined scenario where he is at death's door and the doctor tells his wife that his life can be saved if she gives up her shoes.

Watch it if you can.

52 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - side note.

Jeff Foxworthy has a new comedy special that just became available on Netflix.

There is a segment on his wife's  vacation packing and an imagined scenario where he is at death's door and the doctor tells his wife that his life can be saved if she gives up her shoes.

Watch it if you can.

Thanks for the tip.  I look forward to watching it with my dw beside me.

6 minutes ago, granddutchess said:

In response to the "keeping it under 70lbs for the checked bag" I believe it us 50Ib's?

It is...and I am always over by 5 lbs and taking things out to stuff into my mother's bag. I have to get a lighter suitcase (not smaller though)

14 minutes ago, granddutchess said:

In response to the "keeping it under 70lbs for the checked bag" I believe it us 50Ib's?

It is 50lbs on most airlines for coach.  The 70lbs is for First Class, on American. 

I bring my luggage scale because I am usually just below 70 so I have to be careful with packing souvenirs.  I try to put everything I buy in carry-on but if I buy a bottle of alcohol (for example a bottle of Curacao in Curaçao) then that has to go in a checked bag so I have to get creative and sometimes I have to put things in suitcases of those traveling with me. 😅

🍹

23 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

It is...and I am always over by 5 lbs and taking things out to stuff into my mother's bag. I have to get a lighter suitcase (not smaller though)

check with airline for specifics. Wife and I can each bring 2 suitcases, however,  who really wants a 70 pound suitcase? Hence, on a long trip we might bring a smaller 3rd case for the two of us especially if we will see significant changes in weather.  That also makes a 50 pound case a 40 pounder which just makes it easier albeit with 3 cases. As a bonus, if we want to do an overnighter or two nighter from a base of "operations", we use the smaller case.

We stopped bringing home big or heavy gifts years ago. Except chopsticks from China as a joke, which the family all still use.

Even the good quality walking and running shoes are made of lightweight material now--what a pleasure for packing and using them. 

Edited by HMR74

12 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

It is 50lbs on most airlines for coach.  The 70lbs is for First Class, on American. 

I bring my luggage scale because I am usually just below 70 so I have to be careful with packing souvenirs.  I try to put everything I buy in carry-on but if I buy a bottle of alcohol (for example a bottle of Curacao in Curaçao) then that has to go in a checked bag so I have to get creative and sometimes I have to put things in suitcases of those traveling with me. 😅

🍹

50 lbs for most airlines and most certainly for us peons in coach.  I just can't get it under.  Then if you want a second bag checked, that costs additional as well.  That's why I love leaving from Bayonne...just an hour drive!

27 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

50 lbs for most airlines and most certainly for us peons in coach.  I just can't get it under.  Then if you want a second bag checked, that costs additional as well.  That's why I love leaving from Bayonne...just an hour drive!

I know.  It's hard.  You should see what I start out with when packing and then how I edit and edit and edit some more until I get it under weight.  

I had to pay $125 for overweight one time coming back from St Thomas.  I honestly thought I was under the weight from when I went since there were things that I had gotten rid of (toiletries etc...) and when I checked my bag in, I was told I was overweight by 19 lbs.  (If it was 20 lbs it would have been $200).  I think the scale was messed up and it was a scam.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  😉

Being able to drive definitely has it's advantages, luggage being one. 

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

1 hour ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I know.  It's hard.  You should see what I start out with when packing and then how I edit and edit and edit some more until I get it under weight.  

I had to pay $125 for overweight one time coming back from St Thomas.  I honestly thought I was under the weight from when I went since there were things that I had gotten rid of (toiletries etc...) and when I checked my bag in, I was told I was overweight by 19 lbs.  (If it was 20 lbs it would have been $200).  I think the scale was messed up and it was a scam.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  😉

Being able to drive definitely has it's advantages, luggage being one. 

🍹

My problem is that lately we have been driving to the port rather than flying. When I'm packing for those cruises and trying to decide between bringing X or Y I decide to bring both since weight doesn't matter when driving!

23 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

My problem is that lately we have been driving to the port rather than flying. When I'm packing for those cruises and trying to decide between bringing X or Y I decide to bring both since weight doesn't matter when driving!

I know.  When I'm packing for a non-flying vacation, I'm the same way.   I still do 'edit'  but bring more than I need.   I'd rather have more than not enough. 😉

🍹

10 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I know.  When I'm packing for a non-flying vacation, I'm the same way.   I still do 'edit'  but bring more than I need.   I'd rather have more than not enough. 😉

🍹

Exactly! This way I don't have to make the decision between the good looking uncomfortable slacks, and the comfy less than stylish slacks until the time comes to wear them 🙂 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Exactly! This way I don't have to make the decision between the good looking uncomfortable slacks, and the comfy less than stylish slacks until the time comes to wear them 🙂 

I plan out my outfits.  I will match my tops to shorts for the daytime and tops to skirts for dinner.  

I've been known to write that all out or do a spreadsheet to be organized.  However,  even with all of that organization, my suitcase/suitcases is/are packed to the brim.  😅

My toiletries and non clothing items do take up a large portion of the weight even though I make travel size portions and plan out what I'll need so I don't have excess, plus a tad extra just in case, but still...I just want to make sure I have every possible thing I need/may need.  😉

I have a friend who went to Italy for a week with only a carry-on.  I was like, how and why? There is no way I could do that unless I was planning to buy a suitcase there and shop for everything.  🤣

To each their own.  😉

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Con't...even though I plan out my outfits I still do bring some extras of everything. 😉

🍹

42 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I have a friend who went to Italy for a week with only a carry-on.  I was like, how and why? There is no way I could do that unless I was planning to buy a suitcase there and shop for everything.

Nearly 30 years ago I went to then Bombay, India on an 8 day Business trip taking a briefcase and carry on. 2  pair of business  casual shirt and slacks, and a pair of shorts and t shirt. Every night  upon return to hotel I sent the days clothing to hotel dry cleaning service, at company expense, and used the other set.  Smart Move. So one can travel light.

As it happened,  7 747's arrived at the about same time at 2 in the morning. Open , unairconditioned building for customs and luggage, with over 3,000 people squeezed  together which I was able to quickly bypass, bags in hand.  No smartphone for picture. An immediate payback for traveling light.

Then the thing that really is permanently stamped in my mind. About 20 barefoot kids, boys and girls,  under 5 swarmed me as I walked out to the dirt packed waiting area, trying to  sell little boxes of chicklets. I was grabbed by the guy that was picking me up and he told me  if I pulled out money, I'd be swarmed by 50 more  of the kids.

It's still depressing when I think about it.

Those 7 747's? they left between 4 and 6 AM

Edited by HMR74

1 minute ago, HMR74 said:

Nearly 30 years ago I went to India on an 8 day Business trip taking a briefcase and carry on. 2  pair of business  casual shirt and slacks, and a pair of shorts and t shirt. Every night  upon return to hotel I sent the days clothing to hotel dry cleaning service, at company expense, and used the other set.  Smart Move. So one can travel light.

Then the thing that really is permanently stamped in my mind. About 20 barefoot kids, boys and girls,  under 5 swarmed me as I walked out to the dirt packed waiting area, trying to  sell little boxes of chicklet

Being able to have your clothes cleaned daily definitely helped with only having a carry-on.   Did you know someone else that did that and told you or did you do that in other destinations as well?

When I travel to rentals with a washer and dryer I will bring a tad less and wash clothes.  

I know, when you see how some people in the world live, it reminds us how lucky and fortunate we are.

🍹

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Con't...even though I plan out my outfits I still do bring some extras of everything. 😉

🍹

two peas in a pod. 😃 I do a packing excel spread sheet weeks ahead of time  with pieces that I match together plus all the odds and ends.  Then I hang the outfits together on the same hanger and pack them. I out them in cleaner bags and roll them. Never have any wrinkles. This way I just have to lift and hang o unpack 10 minutes tops, and I don't have to match things on the fly. I do one day outfit and one night outfit ... and maybe a couple more just in case. I know it's too much, as I come home with a lot of clean clothes, but it makes me comfortable. I have cut down on shoes a lot in recent years.

• Like 2

Just now, Guppy99 said:

two peas in a pod. 😃 I do a packing excel spread sheet weeks ahead of time  with pieces that I match together plus all the odds and ends.  Then I hang the outfits together on the same hanger and pack them. I out them in cleaner bags and roll them. Never have any wrinkles. This way I just have to lift and hang o unpack 10 minutes tops, and I don't have to match things on the fly. I do one day outfit and one night outfit ... and maybe a couple more just in case. I know it's too much, as I come home with a lot of clean clothes, but it makes me comfortable. I have cut down on shoes a lot in recent years.

Sounds like me except I do the roll and folding of items but do put them together when packed.   When I hang things and put things in drawers, I organize by outfit.  I've heard the dry cleaner bags keep things wrinkle free.  I definitely have extras of everything,  just in case.  

My first cruise (I noted in this thread) I brought 12 pairs of shoes.  Why?!  😅  I have definitely cut back.  😉

🍹

On 3/18/2022 at 9:48 AM, phoenix_dream said:

You are not alone! I much prefer having an actual book in hand. So disappointed Celebrity is doing away with their libraries. 

That's too bad.  I always enjoyed and looked forward to the libraries. Our last trip w/X was a TA in 2018.  DH & I were checking out the library on Silhouette and he found a James Patterson paperback that someone had left.  That book lasted him the entire 15 day cruise plus the 2 extra days we spent in FLL.  He left it in our hotel room for the next person.

6 minutes ago, shofer said:

I always enjoyed and looked forward to the libraries.

I've never read any books from the ship library but I love the look/space on the S-class ships plus it's a nice place to sit.

🍹

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Being able to have your clothes cleaned daily definitely helped with only having a carry-on.   Did you know someone else that did that and told you or did you do that in other destinations as well?

When I travel to rentals with a washer and dryer I will bring a tad less and wash clothes.  

I know, when you see how some people in the world live, it reminds us how lucky and fortunate we are.

🍹

Never really asked anybody else what they do; but we had a company policy where for flights over a certain duration we went business or 1st-and if you rode up front pre TSA, and took an early am flight say from Chicago to NY or DC  and no luggage you could get off the plane before most others, get to the taxis ahead of others and no lines, and get to work,  finish tasks and fly home that night  and save  hotel and restaurant costs .Most people who traveled would rather do day trips anyway if they could. .

we had a pretty good working environment.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We no longer bring our Kilt's and accessories.    With airline weight limits and kilts weighing in at about 20 pounds each they have been moved to the back of the closet.  We now just save them for Weddings and Funerals.

Shame… nothing nicer than seeing a man in a kilt. My dad has also stopped taking his on cruises. I know what you mean about the weight -  we got married in the Bahamas and I remember my husband’s kilt took up a whole case. The trick would be to wear it with a T-shirt and travel in it. That would raise some eyebrows at the airport😂

• Like 1

Baggage fees certainly do make one reconsider what is "necessary" to pack.  However, you may feel, they have greatly contributed to the demise of formal nights.

We only travel a few times a year, but I can't recall the last time that I saw anyone with a garment bag for suits and/or dresses.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Leaving ATL for FLL around 1 today, literally have not packed a thing..feels good..cruising on Apex tomorrow..

Anything more than a carry on, it doesn’t get to make the trip. 

I like your style!