Drink Vouchers, latest changes (March 2022)

Swann5

My apologies, the search function did not provide the answers to my questions.

What are the latest rules on redeeming drink vouchers on board?  The RC website gives contradictory information. 

Are the drink vouchers able to be "redeemed anywhere, any time"? Or only during "happy hour times of 5 - 8PM" ? The website also says "at any time throughout the day" Can you redeem them in the dining room? 

It's been awhile since we cruised RC and with all the changes due to Covid we are having a hard time figuring out what is actually happening on the ships. We are Diamond Club members and sailing in July 2022.

Many thanks and a Cheers to those that can provide the answers. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, the vouchers can be used at any time during the day/night to get a drink that costs $13 or less.  If you order something extra fancy or top shelf, your drink might cost more than $13, but you only pay the difference plus gratuity on that charge.  And yes, you can use vouchers in the MDR or at the Windjammer bar.

We like to order fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast in the MDR.  Since it's less than $5, I always ask the waiter NOT to use a voucher and to charge me for the OJ on my sea pass.  I don't like to waste the vouchers on the inexpensive stuff.

If you don't use all your vouchers before midnight, you can go to a bar and use whatever you have left to get bottled (or canned) water, or a can of soda if you want.  That way you don't waste any of them.   We get 5 vouchers each and actually had a hard time using them all on port days, so we got water a couple of times last cruise.  Each day is a new day and the unused vouchers do not carry over.  Thus...use them or lose them!

The Diamond Club does not have an open bar now.  You can, of course, still go to the Diamond Club for happy hour, but now you'll use your vouchers for your drinks there.  The bar in the Diamond club is no longer limited to 'well drinks' and you can order anything you want.  They also have hors d'oeuvres during happy hour.

Diamond Clubs have a fancy coffee machine that you can access all day (assuming it's working!), also there is a little buffet of continental breakfast items each morning, except for departure morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just make sure you do not get charged for them.  As they bring more bartenders back onboard, they may not be aware that your vouchers can be used anytime.  

First drink onboard, and the bartender handed me a charge slip.  I told him it was a Diamond drink, and he said no, those are only for happy hours. 

I told him no, they are good any time. He checked with another bartender who told him they were good any time, and he reversed the charge. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Just make sure you do not get charged for them.  As they bring more bartenders back onboard, they may not be aware that your vouchers can be used anytime.  

First drink onboard, and the bartender handed me a charge slip.  I told him it was a Diamond drink, and he said no, those are only for happy hours. 

I told him no, they are good any time. He checked with another bartender who told him they were good any time, and he reversed the charge. 

On the Allure in December, I had to train a bar server in the theater and one on Coco Cay.  Both times they checked with their supervisor, then came back to take my order.

• Like 2

We just look at our on line account on the TV to make sure we weren’t charged.  After 4 cruises using the new system, we’ve never been charged for a drink and we’ve never told a bartender or server to use a voucher for our drink.  It’s done automatically by the ship computer.

Edited by sellwingri
  • Like 2

Word of caution... we chose to order wine with dinner and use one of our 50% off Diamond discounts rather that our Diamond free  drink voucher discount.  No problems.  However, the next night the waiter said we had used our one allotted half-off discounts and would have to apply the 20% off discount for the wine.  We went with it and said fine.  The next day after visiting with the Loyalty Ambassador, he agreed that each of us were entitled to two 50% off glass of wine discounts.  No biggie, but just be cautious and aware.  Sometimes the waiters are not familiar with the perks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, doublej said:

Word of caution... we chose to order wine with dinner and use one of our 50% off Diamond discounts rather that our Diamond free  drink voucher discount.  No problems.  However, the next night the waiter said we had used our one allotted half-off discounts and would have to apply the 20% off discount for the wine.  We went with it and said fine.  The next day after visiting with the Loyalty Ambassador, he agreed that each of us were entitled to two 50% off glass of wine discounts.  No biggie, but just be cautious and aware.  Sometimes the waiters are not familiar with the perks. 

did you use the same card for your 50% off glass of wine?? DW and i do that for a nice glass of wine and make sure we use my card one night and her card another

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swann5 said:

My apologies, the search function did not provide the answers to my questions. What are the latest rules on redeeming drink vouchers on board?  The RC website gives contradictory information.  Are the drink vouchers able to be "redeemed anywhere, any time"? Or only during "happy hour times of 5 - 8PM" ? The website also says "at any time throughout the day" Can you redeem them in the dining room?  It's been awhile since we cruised RC and with all the changes due to Covid we are having a hard time figuring out what is actually happening on the ships. We are Diamond Club members and sailing in July 2022. Many thanks and a Cheers to those that can provide the answers. 

Any time. Any place. Just because... we always tell the bartender or waiter to "use a voucher" so there aren't any stray charges. Worked fine onboard, on CocoCay, and on Labadee. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HodgeNNicole said:

Do you get an actual "voucher" or is it loaded on to your sign and sail card?

Also is it 4 free drinks per Diamond member meaning 4 for my wife and 4 for me or is it 2 each for a total of 4?

They are loaded on your sea pass card. 4 drinks each D, 5 each D+, 6 Pinn

35 minutes ago, HodgeNNicole said:

Do you get an actual "voucher" or is it loaded on to your sign and sail card?

Also is it 4 free drinks per Diamond member meaning 4 for my wife and 4 for me or is it 2 each for a total of 4?

You get 4 per adult, so in your case you have 8 per couple and yes you can share them. So you might drink 6 and your wife might drink 2 and that will be OK. Just make sure you present the correct cruise card to be scanned. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! Much clearer than the website! We are looking forward to our B2B this July even more now that drink procurement is sorted out. Cheers and happy sailing to you all! 🙂 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, foxgoodrich said:

Yes, the vouchers can be used at any time during the day/night to get a drink that costs $13 or less.  If you order something extra fancy or top shelf, your drink might cost more than $13, but you only pay the difference plus gratuity on that charge.  And yes, you can use vouchers in the MDR or at the Windjammer bar.

We like to order fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast in the MDR.  Since it's less than $5, I always ask the waiter NOT to use a voucher and to charge me for the OJ on my sea pass.  I don't like to waste the vouchers on the inexpensive stuff.

If you don't use all your vouchers before midnight, you can go to a bar and use whatever you have left to get bottled (or canned) water, or a can of soda if you want.  That way you don't waste any of them.   We get 5 vouchers each and actually had a hard time using them all on port days, so we got water a couple of times last cruise.  Each day is a new day and the unused vouchers do not carry over.  Thus...use them or lose them!

The Diamond Club does not have an open bar now.  You can, of course, still go to the Diamond Club for happy hour, but now you'll use your vouchers for your drinks there.  The bar in the Diamond club is no longer limited to 'well drinks' and you can order anything you want.  They also have hors d'oeuvres during happy hour.

Diamond Clubs have a fancy coffee machine that you can access all day (assuming it's working!), also there is a little buffet of continental breakfast items each morning, except for departure morning.

Thanks for the info.  Since you mentioned 5 vouchers, does that mean Diamond members get 5 drinks per day?  So, on a 7-night cruise, would that include embarkation day, for a total of 6 days?

21 minutes ago, iuki said:

Thanks for the info.  Since you mentioned 5 vouchers, does that mean Diamond members get 5 drinks per day?  So, on a 7-night cruise, would that include embarkation day, for a total of 6 days?

Just realized the 5 drinks are for Diamond Plus. So we only get 4 drinks each as Diamond.  But I would still like confirmation that it includes embarkation day.  Is this correct?

8 minutes ago, iuki said:

Just realized the 5 drinks are for Diamond Plus. So we only get 4 drinks each as Diamond.  But I would still like confirmation that it includes embarkation day.  Is this correct?

yes it does include embarkation day…..😎😎

• Like 1

I will have the deluxe beverage package on my next cruise and I will also have the 4 drink vouchers as a Diamond member.  If I don't say anything for the first four drinks, will it be automatically charged to the vouchers or will it be part of the drink package? 

I would like to save the 4 drinks in case I want to buy drinks for friends who may not have the package.  Do I need to specifically say not to use the Diamond vouchers every time I get a drink?

On 3/20/2022 at 9:31 PM, HodgeNNicole said:

Thanks for the quick response.  

You just saved me some money since we are not big enough drinkers to get the drink package but now will enjoy some frozen libations round the pool is 76 days not that we are counting or anything.

We were on Symphony 1/29-2/6 and had the drink vouchers loaded on our cards-4/per person-per day.  Did not ever use all of them.   Hubby ordered upscale liquor (Makers Mark/Grey Goose) and never had to pay extra.  This was our first cruise as Diamond members and have to say I would hesitate going on another cruise line as we like the perks.  It took us 4 days to find the Diamond Lounge and really liked it.  They had computers for your use and I was able to check in for our flights the day before.  (no Smart phones)  

• Like 1