The Daily for Monday 03/21/2022

richwmn

Good Morning and Happy Monday. It was nice to be able to cruise again, but it was not what I expected. They said it was only around 800 passengers on the NA but sure seemed like more. Maybe it was the little ones running all over the place. They were even in the Sea View area also, which caused some people to complain to the staff. Our itinerary changed on the fly because Key West was too choppy for the replacement pilot boat to meet up with us. I guess their bigger one was broken. We had great table mates for dinner and the staff was their usual exceptional selves. Lido was definitely affected by either Covid or the supply issues. I was not impressed by the morning selections. On the other hand, I tried the Dive burger and Dive dog for the first time and loved both! Entertainment was sort of “meh”, although the comedian in the BBKing was pretty good. I didn’t write his name down in my journal so I can’t recall what his name was. Embarkation and disembarkation were very quick. Hopefully things go as smoothly for the Sept cruise. 

While we did have the internet package, I was generally too busy relaxing in the sun to keep current on what was going on here - lol. 

It’s great to be back home. But now I have to cook and clean… bah

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Yesterday’s embarking seemed different by first separating those who had utilized the new app versus those who had not. Then there was a lot of confusion and disorganization on final boarding on who was priority and who was not. Most importantly we did embark. 

Our cabin was ready and very nice. Believe it’s a little smaller then previous Neptunes but the bath and especially the shower were larger. Shower is huge when compared to other ships. Neptune Lounge is narrower and for the first time since pandemic was allowing self serve.

At 2,400 capacity the crew was being tested as many venue’s were crowded especially in bar area. We arrived at Club Orange at 7:30 and had to wait ten minutes for seating. There was a line awaiting MDR seating that extended to the new Half Moon Bar so will have to rely on someone else how MDR operations were going. We were seated to left with our table up against partition and main hallway. Wish they had fully enclosed that partition as there was a lot of noise in background from those awaiting entry MDR.

Serrano,our waiter took very good care of us. I had chosen liver and onions and unfortunately upon first bite realized something was really wrong. One taste and it was like the liver had spoiled and was very mushy! Yuck! They agreed and I was quickly served the added Club Orange Peruvian Chicken which was very tasty.

After dinner we retreated to the Lido Pool and watched the new James Bond movie on the big screen.

Upon returning to the cabin we were surprised that our King sized bed had been converted to twins! Our cabin steward showed us this morning the order he received to convert the beds. Not his fault he did what he was told.

This morning we had coffee in Neptune followed by breakfast in Club Orange. We have elected to stay onboard today as with two ships here at Half Moon didn’t want to fight the crowds.

Thanks to all and now I’m off to enjoy the very beautiful MS Rotterdam.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Looking forward to a nice warm day in the 70's later on.  We unfortunately will be seeing the southern storm that is passing through the country by Wednesday.  And that is the day DH has his dental cleaning so he will be out driving in it.  All who are in the path of the storm please take care.  Hope you are safe Joy @Seasick Sailorand Allen!  Watch out for tornadoes!  @1ANGELCATI'm sorry to hear of that terrible accident there in Pennsylvania.  Prayers for those who perished and their families.🙏  And Graham @grapau27 I am speechless at the behavior of Pauline's sister and brother-in-law (I could not designate them as dear).  You are all better off without them in your daily lives.  @Mr. Bostonhappy birthday to your DSIL!  🎂

Thanks today to Rich @richwmnfor posting our Daily.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor continuing our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers this morning were said for all of the brave people of Ukraine and the helping countries.  Also for everyone on the Daily Care list, especially Buddy and Jen.  Buddy is coming along very slowly, but I'm not sure Jen will improve much.  I can still ask for that in my prayers though. 🙏 Cheers to all those celebrating!🥂  For our days to honor, we prefer to pay our credit card bills on autopay like many others here.  Helps when we're traveling for months at a time.  A salute to poetry day.  I also rarely wear fragrances and don't care for heavy fragrances some people like to douse themselves in.  I heard today is also World Down Syndrome Day so a cheer to them as well.  We actually had pork chops for dinner last night with my scalloped potatoes recipe.  For some reason that combo just seems to work, like Debbie @dfishmentioned.  All the photos of the pork chops looked great, so thanks for that.  

We visited Milford Sound, NZ twice.  In 2013 on Diamond Princess it was a misty, damp day.  In 2017 on Sun Princess it was quite a beautiful day.  I'll post a few photos for everyone as soon as I can locate them.  

Have a great day everyone!

Thank you Sandi.

I didn't even get a birthday card off them for my 60th birthday.

Sadly our 2 detached houses are next door to each other at the bottom of a cul de sac in a small close where we have both lived for 40 year's which makes it uncomfortable and why we regularly get away on holiday.

Graham

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

On December 18, 2013 the Diamond Princess made its way into Milford Sound for some scenic cruising.  Unfortunately it was not the best weather but you make the best of it.  Some of our crew were out and about and I thought this was a cute photo of them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2Dn_xDjzgvzyI8JQCTz1c?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388708110

This was what the morning looked like for the most part.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1G8prx20t6zbRRLSldqWE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388710662

To get a better look, I'll move on to the Sun Princess Milford Sound visit on Nov. 29, 2017.  Entering Milford Sound.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwxLURt6Q-nRgSX9pAQ44-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621029

It was interesting to see the rings of clouds surrounding some peaks.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJaa8heAM3qKYeo1g_YhmP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621040

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKmxU649KSOGLdTcdEm5KK9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621108

I must say it was pretty cold out on the decks with the ship's movement and the chilly air giving you quite a wind chill factor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlLkttjiEhqIDkLEFPwbac?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621197

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQrd2AUxhTGCWjhtThUK3Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647868366

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_HDWjIWS4kMiaDB1uIo1f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621272

From there the ship sailed through Thompson, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds.  I think Milford was my favorite.  This is the type of weather you dream of when scenic cruising but we take what we can get!

Stunning photos.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

I didn't even get a birthday card off them for my 60th birthday.

Sadly our 2 detached houses are next door to each other at the bottom of a cul de sac in a small close where we have both lived for 40 year's which makes it uncomfortable and why we regularly get away on holiday.

Graham

What a stressful situation to have to live next door to them!  I've had a situation where the next door neighbor was trouble and it affected your everyday activities.  It was a relief when they left.  Too bad your troublesome "relatives" haven't moved away!  I don't blame you for getting away from it all.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Daily Family!

Thank you to our Daily creator, Rich, and all who contribute here.  Cheers to those on Roy's celebration list and hugs to those on the care list.  The F&B department have also been doing a great job, thanks ladies!  

Have been busy after returning from our wonderful cruise on the beautiful Nieuw Statendam, but have been trying to read everything.

@cat shepard, hope we aren't starting something with 🐍 sightings -- yesterday afternoon I stepped out into the garage and found one!  Deathly afraid of the darn things so of course yelled and scared it.  DH came to my rescue but couldn't find it anywhere.  UGH.  Just hoping it scooted out the door and out of my life!  Time to leave the door down all the time I guess -- Springtime in Florida! 😉

Kay

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

RIP Kakalina 3/18/22
Ukraine

Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Welfare of furloughed crews
HAL Sailer DH in hospital with unsure diagnosis
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
Buddy still having trouble getting food down
Cruzin Terri DH awaiting dermatology biopsy result
From the rotation:
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Babsjo
Noordam in Everglades

noordpe.thumb.JPG.419546cdb27c2d4d310d60f5b6b5aaa0.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
6 days for Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam 3/27-4/10)
DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),  Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy, Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3),  (Niew Statendam  to 4/ 6) at sea
Welcome home GTVCruiser
My Cunard Princess Grill booking
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy watched Discovery Channel  44 here in  Canada Mighty  Cruise Ships  last  night  and saw

Staff  Captain Sabine she  was  very  impressive docking  the  Koningsdam   on  Norway

cruise.

JIM. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

We're having a rainy morning, aiming for the high 40's F today.  We timed our cherry blossom visit yesterday perfectly, no rain yesterday morning.  And since the "kids" all work or go to school during the week, we were limited to going during a weekend.

Like others we pay off our credit card balance every month.  I haven't worn any fragrances at all since finding out I'm allergic to bee venom. And since I'm in the garden a lot I don't want to tempt fate.  As for others wearing fragrance, I don't mind unless I'm sitting next to him/her.  It seems like there are too many people who like to douse themselves in strong scents. Many times I've left a show on a BHB with a headache from the scent.  I've never been good at poetry, but can appreciate those who are.

Will pass on the wine and drink, and we'll be seeing Milford Sound on the Grand Australia -- thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor the gorgeous photos!!  I can't wait to see it in person.

Pork chops!  DH's favorite meal.  My only problem is picking out one of the great recipes that Debbie @dfishposted.  I know I have the ingredients for all the recipes, now to pick the one we would like best....that will be dinner tonight.

After booking the Grand Australia for 2024 we decided to cancel some of our longer European bookings for 2022 and 2023 and substitute some shorter, less expensive cruises.  Priorities, lol.  So now for next year we have a Celebrity cruise (had to use some FCC) to Alaska in Sept., and today will book a spring Pacific Coastal on the Noordam.  I think that will be enough to give us a cruising "fix" but not cost an arm and leg.  Also no flights for either of those cruises.  

@Mr. BostonHappy Birthday to your SIL!

@1ANGELCAThow horribly sad about the traffic accident.  Prayers for the families.

@ottahand7thank you for the beautiful sunrise photo!

@dfishaw, your story about the rice pudding reminded me of my Dad.  He loved my rice custard pudding (family recipe) and I brought it to him on every visit.  He told me that nobody else could make it like I did. ❤️

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Just had a news conference, the 2 Troopers have been identified: Brendan T Sisca and Martin F Mack.

They were struck while trying to remove the civilian who wax walking on the roadway. The striking vehicle was driven by a DUI and at a high speed.

RIP💔

• Like 5
  • Thanks 18

8 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just had a news conference, the 2 Troopers have been identified: Brendan T Sisca and Martin F Mack.

They were struck while trying to remove the civilian who wax walking on the roadway. The striking vehicle was driven by a DUI and at a high speed.

RIP💔

Such a sad situation, and so totally preventable.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Never been to today's port but i paid for an all inclusive 30 day cruise and stay in Australia and New Zealand for Pauline's sister and her husband for his 60th birthday before they decided they wanted nothing to do with us and their daughter our Sarah 7 years ago.

Yikes.  Must be especially hard on Pauline.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all, and thanks for all the news.  I have a horror story of my own this morning, not snakes or nasty relatives or aides from hell, but about my cousin in California with ALS and her DH.  She has had to put DH in a nursing home, and she misses him like crazy - they have been together 50 years.  He escaped,  broke a window and climbed the fence and made his way home - a friend saw him on the road and gave him a ride part of the way.  Now he is back in the home, but DC says she wants him back, although she really can't cope and he is very antagonistic to her caregiver.  So please remember them both in your prayers for a while again.  Of course all this is third hand, but I will be visiting them in person on March 31.  I will try to report back then, and hope for better news.

Lots to do today, so I have better get on with it.  

(Haven't been to Milford Sound, our cruise there was cancelled, but the pictures look very like places in Alaska, Norway, and Chile.  Small world!)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I like the days. I've reduced to fewer credit cards (got rid of most department store ones) and keep no balances, rarely wear fragrance any more, and I like some poetry.

Great quote!

I like pork chops. I'll pass on the drink. I like the wine.

I have been to today's destination on my first HAL cruise, from Auckland to Sydney.

It's sunny here and going up to 60F, from a chilly start of 39F. I'm currently blocked in, as work on the alley has resumed, and there's a big dump truck in front of my garage. I had no plans to go anywhere.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, you and Marley.

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday to your SIL!

@1ANGELCAT Yes, the deaths of the troopers and civilian are very sad. The troopers were walking someone who was walking on the highway to their vehicle, when a speeding car hit them and threw the troopers into the opposite traffic. They think DUI may be involved. The driver is in custody.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear Tana is stable and will continue to pray for her.

@StLouisCruisers It's good to hear that Buddy is coming along. Continued prayers for him and Jen.

@ger_77 I remember Evening in Paris! I think as young girls we all used that, lol. 

@Navybikermom Welcome home. I'm sorry your cruise wasn't what you expected. 

@grapau27 That has to be uncomfortable living so close to Pauline's sister and her husband, when the relationship is so bad. Thankfully Sarah is in your life.

@Vict0riann Oh no, on your cousin's DH breaking out of the nursing home. A tough situation.

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine and its refugees and helpers. Targeting civilians is heinous! Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We're having a rainy morning, aiming for the high 40's F today.  We timed our cherry blossom visit yesterday perfectly, no rain yesterday morning.  And since the "kids" all work or go to school during the week, we were limited to going during a weekend.

You must be in the banana belt; we are having our second day of snow this spring 🙂 

The pictures you posted of the cherry blossoms in the UW Quad were beautiful, but it looked like there were more people on the quad than we have in our whole town.

• Like 17

Heading to Milford Sound on the Statendam

1360710185_456-HeadingtoMilfordSound.thumb.JPG.e3ab5d3eafc04b93127e2a6528c7f270.JPG

462.thumb.JPG.3bcee60d6380569643c312cb4b008e61.JPG

Milford Sound Elephant Mountain

1878348120_465-MilfordSoundElephantMountain.thumb.JPG.05078eeb6a0fd5d51bcf4d203cee4215.JPG

Seals

468b.thumb.JPG.cd238e6f637bb2a4bc2710d9a15c5a61.JPG

Stirling Falls

1445565964_474-StirlingFalls.thumb.JPG.a77c8c098719222088cf554d25f583e8.JPG

479.thumb.JPG.264754fb19e7bd2fc34c0f4bceb897b2.JPG

Passengers who did a land trip returning to the ship

1118022707_498-Shipbringingpassengerswhodidalandstop.thumb.JPG.95cae5b0f981801edab61d39a5c7b475.JPG

Crouching Lion Mountain (right), Milford Sound

656964880_501-CrouchingLionMountain(r)MilfordSound.thumb.JPG.db8db46f902d681f072e73a64c35fce8.JPG

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Yikes.  Must be especially hard on Pauline.

Roy

Thank you Roy @rafinmd

They look so much alike but have totally different personalities.

Within 6 months of coming home from their all paid for cruise/stay and excursions by us their mam fell and broke her hip and  her dementia took a big downturn after this.

Their lovely mam lived with her son who gave her 24 hour care at home and didn't work for 4 years and Pauline and I went part retired and gave her approximately 8 hours daily care.

Her sister walked away and didn't see her mam once in her last 5 years of life.

The way her sister disowned her daughter our Sarah who is epileptic and her mam was unforgivable and disgusted the family.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 15

10 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Heading to Milford Sound on the Statendam

1360710185_456-HeadingtoMilfordSound.thumb.JPG.e3ab5d3eafc04b93127e2a6528c7f270.JPG

462.thumb.JPG.3bcee60d6380569643c312cb4b008e61.JPG

Milford Sound Elephant Mountain

1878348120_465-MilfordSoundElephantMountain.thumb.JPG.05078eeb6a0fd5d51bcf4d203cee4215.JPG

Seals

468b.thumb.JPG.cd238e6f637bb2a4bc2710d9a15c5a61.JPG

Stirling Falls

1445565964_474-StirlingFalls.thumb.JPG.a77c8c098719222088cf554d25f583e8.JPG

479.thumb.JPG.264754fb19e7bd2fc34c0f4bceb897b2.JPG

Passengers who did a land trip returning to the ship

1118022707_498-Shipbringingpassengerswhodidalandstop.thumb.JPG.95cae5b0f981801edab61d39a5c7b475.JPG

Crouching Lion Mountain (right), Milford Sound

656964880_501-CrouchingLionMountain(r)MilfordSound.thumb.JPG.db8db46f902d681f072e73a64c35fce8.JPG

Thank you for your amazing photos.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! I love natural fragrances. Bottled fragrances doused on a human body, not so much. @ger_77 Gerry, your mention of Evening in Paris brought back their commercials on TV when I was young. They made it seem so exotic and elegant to a young girl.  I longed to be that sophisticated. You must have been thrilled to buy a bottle of your own!

Another rainy day on the west coast, but now,it’s spring rain instead of winter rain.

@1ANGELCAT that is so sad about the troopers and the person they were assisting. How tragic for their families, and for the oncoming drivers who ended up involved through no wrongdoing of their own. @grapau27 I’m so sorry to hear about Paulines sister and BIL living so close and acting so small. You both sound like such good and generous people, and deserve nothing of that sort of behaviour. @mamaofami I sympathize with not wanting another aide change before Sam’s surgery. However, a history of violent behaviour when faced with frustration in a domestic setting is extremely dangerous in an in-home care giver. Yet again, you are in a terrible situation that the agency should have prevented.

@aliaschief interesting that your attendant was given written instructions to convert your bed to two twins. Somewhere, someone else walked into their cabin to find a large shared bed when they had specifically requested a change to separate ones.

Happy Monday, everyone! I suppose it can rain just as much aboard a BHB, it’s just more cheerful somehow!

0B23CCEE-7406-4A7A-8A36-CD4EFE58F067.thumb.jpeg.3d717f8ace58e53aae3250815ff99484.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

You must be in the banana belt; we are having our second day of snow this spring 🙂 

The pictures you posted of the cherry blossoms in the UW Quad were beautiful, but it looked like there were more people on the quad than we have in our whole town.

I don't know about banana belt, but we're definitely in the rainy belt, a convergent zone.  I guess I would take it over snow though!

Yes, there were a lot of people there yesterday and a lot of dogs!  We had our well-trained grand-dog with us, I was happy to see all the other dogs were well behaved too.  😉  

• Like 16