Questions... Children, Formal Dress, Smoking, more???

joseph123

10 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

No, just reading CC and Facebook.  For one thing food is very important on a cruise—-Silversea seems to plate for on trendy looking plates, yet people are saying the food isn’t consistently good. This is not me-it’s people on the cruise saying it.  

If you are seeing so many negatives why are you willing to invest money for a Silversea cruise?  You must be seeing something positive with Silversea!  Otherwise why keep your bookings?

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

By the way, I’m not bashing Silversea—I’m trying to read as much a possible about the line, or I wouldn’t have booked the cruises I have.  Will I be loyal to Silversea, mostly not-I enjoy cruising very much-but enjoy different formats - I don’t want the same thing time after time as we enjoy new experiences which include the ship its self.  We prefer the luxury class lines in a larger suite with perks that come with the suite.  

41 minutes ago, mysty said:

If you are seeing so many negatives why are you willing to invest money for a Silversea cruise?  You must be seeing something positive with Silversea!  Otherwise why keep your bookings?

I never said I didn’t see positives — in fact the suite look really nice, the service also is top I believe.  

• Just returned from my first SS cruise, and I had no complaints about the food. It’s my career and also I love eating out. Here are a few photos I took. 

A2FFB70E-111D-4DA4-ABCC-3A5D1CB1DEFE.jpeg

C9837101-D68B-4598-8BF2-85DB9F74E1E5.jpeg

B4008C2E-B457-4E1F-8177-9A14D98DBCD3.jpeg

BB9B4511-9E6E-4FCC-9CDC-7972628DD3E9.jpeg

E3267398-4741-4F30-B125-F37C8020DAF8.jpeg

Edited by HPfoodie
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HPfoodie said:

I have many more, better photos but when uploading they turned upside down and I haven’t figured out how to turn them around. They’re fine in my photos app 🤷‍♀️

That's frustrating!   I know other posters have also had this issue!  Really wish I knew how to help. 😒

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I never said I didn’t see positives — in fact the suite look really nice, the service also is top I believe.  

Okay!  How about sailing on Silversea before you make comments only based on what you read or assume.  I think your comments would be more helpful based on first hand experience.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Okay!  How about sailing on Silversea before you make comments only based on what you read or assume.  I think your comments would be more helpful based on first hand experience.

I have to believe what I read from people that are experiencing their experience on their cruise.  The really only comment I’ve made it seems a lot of people are posting they don’t want to do formal night or a little more casual.  I believe the trend is becoming more casual than formal in todays lifestyle. I’m not saying Silversea will do it, until the time comes.  I don’t cruise for ports, I prefer the ship and service.  I will write a fair trip report once I board the ship in real time. If I like it, I’ll be booking a few more cruises or move on………my choice.

7 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I have to believe what I read from people that are experiencing their experience on their cruise.  The really only comment I’ve made it seems a lot of people are posting they don’t want to do formal night or a little more casual.  I believe the trend is becoming more casual than formal in todays lifestyle. I’m not saying Silversea will do it, until the time comes.  I don’t cruise for ports, I prefer the ship and service.  I will write a fair trip report once I board the ship in real time. If I like it, I’ll be booking a few more cruises or move on………my choice.

Actually it’s an extremely small number of people posting that they don’t want to do formal nights, except they keep posting over and over again.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, HPfoodie said:

I have many more, better photos but when uploading they turned upside down and I haven’t figured out how to turn them around. They’re fine in my photos app 🤷‍♀️

This is unfortunately a Cruise Critic issue, particularly with photos taken in landscape mode on an iPad (and possibly an iPhone). Apple doesn’t care which way you hold your device, your photos will appear correctly. CC just loads the raw photo and apparently believes there is a correct upright way to use landscape. Interestingly this problem doesn’t appear to happen on Android devices. It’s about time CC fixed this, or if they cannot, adds an option to turn photos at the load point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

This is unfortunately a Cruise Critic issue, particularly with photos taken in landscape mode on an iPad (and possibly an iPhone). Apple doesn’t care which way you hold your device, your photos will appear correctly. CC just loads the raw photo and apparently believes there is a correct upright way to use landscape. Interestingly this problem doesn’t appear to happen on Android devices. It’s about time CC fixed this, or if they cannot, adds an option to turn photos at the load point.

Yeah it's a real bug. In the past I was able to recreate the error with my Android device so it may not be unique to Apple products. If I turn my phone 90 degrees left and take the picture it appears upright on CC but if I turn it to the right 90 degrees, the picture will appear upside down on CC - at least the last time I tried... I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10+.

Edited to add:

OK - I just tested what I said above, and it's still as I thought. If I rotate left and take the picture in landscape mode, the picture loads correctly on CC. If I rotate right and take the photo, the picture loads upside down on CC.

HOWEVER I think that I just found a fix!

View your picture on the phone in your photo gallery. Rotate the phone left and TAKE A SCREENSHOT of the picture. Now, post the SCREENSHOT of the picture on Cruise Critic and it will load right side up.

I just tested this and it worked like a charm.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Yeah it's a real bug. In the past I was able to recreate the error with my Android device so it may not be unique to Apple products. If I turn my phone 90 degrees left and take the picture it appears upright on CC but if I turn it to the right 90 degrees, the picture will appear upside down on CC - at least the last time I tried... I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10+.

Edited to add:

OK - I just tested what I said above, and it's still as I thought. If I rotate left and take the picture in landscape mode, the picture loads correctly on CC. If I rotate right and take the photo, the picture loads upside down on CC.

HOWEVER I think that I just found a fix!

View your picture on the phone in your photo gallery. Rotate the phone left and TAKE A SCREENSHOT of the picture. Now, post the SCREENSHOT of the picture on Cruise Critic and it will load right side up.

I just tested this and it worked like a charm.

Thanks JP, although I would rather CC fixed the problem.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Guilty as charged, Lvshack. Thanks for keeping us in line while Host Jazzbeau is on vacation.

Oh now I'm feeling so bad !!  Your not quilty  really!! (  reply is appreciated..) .to be honest lots of other threads are going off the original one!!  I have just noticed another one earlier today opening up a new  thread about dress code which could be on this thred !! I'm only saying!! As you would say in America .. already)!! I'm looking forward to Nov 2022 silver dawn Barcelona to Lisbon..( on another thread 😉) I'm very interested in your profession,?? (I'm now going off thread 😱,)  as  said before I'm  under a fantastic team bath royal United hospital Haematology ( have I spelt that right?!) Myeloma..  I  have ..Anyway back to the thread my husband & I love to dress for dinner be it casual or formal !!!  Well he's more into dress whatever ..I think one should to choose whatever they feel comfortable in ( within reason to the dinning request) .. sending a photo of My lovely husband ( last night causal dress code) what's casual he askes??.. anyway also photo of him in causal dress.. oh can't find one of him doing casual.😱.. love all the feedback ..  it's only meant as a light hearted thread ..please please don't throw me to the lions just because he loves to dress !!! And where is host Jazzbeau ..who ever he/ she is ?? 👔👔👔🍾🍾

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

IMG-20210829-WA0011.jpg

• Like 2

DH and I will be going to Alaska (I sincerely trust - 3rd time lucky!) this July on our 1st ever ocean cruise, on the Silver Muse. We understand that on the formal night we eat in La Terrazza, and DH just needs to wear a jacket (and trousers I hope!), as he will do all the other nights - so you would get wear out of bringing a jacket!

I aim to wear smart dresses (short) or smart blouses with smart trousers every night, but I no longer have anything glitzy. No-one will mind this will they?

On 4/28/2022 at 1:44 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you Stumblefoot! I will write a trip report.

Great, would love to read your report—Also agree with Stumblefoot-why would someone want to socialize with those type of people.  Have a great cruise and you’ll enjoy Alaska-it’s a great place to visit.

Our next cuise is on Silver Dawn and I am looking forward to the good old Silversea deliverables we know: excellent food and a more formal dress code. The style of Silversea carries with it, in our experience, the atmosphere we are looking for.

We just left a Caribbean cruise on the Seabourn Odyssey. It hightlights were the Carambola Beach Day which Silversea cannot touch: a full day of beach side fun with the ship running the bar and barbecue. Also, one of the St John ports was replaced last minute by Jost Van Dyke, which is a beach day, just one not managed by Seabourn staff.

But where I missed Silversea big time was when I saw what only several passengers who might as well be at Senor Frogs can turn the elegant and large forward facing Observation Bar into. Some loud mouths monopolized the central bar area with their boring and high volume nonsense, and many wore tired polo shirts and shorts well past 18:00. By 18:45 I evacuated to the serene Club Bar, a bit like the Panorama Bar of Silversea ships.  I have sailed with Seabourn over 20 years and miss the days of a posted sign indicating trousers and jackets or at least collared shirts past 18:00. In those days better dress came with calmer noise levels. Of course there is nothing wrong with fun, but why not take it outside to the pool bar.

Since there are ships for everyone, I hope that Silversea always maintains its elegance and standards. Dress codes of a formal nature do make a difference in how people behave, and ships' management should always enforce stated policy. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Strange question.... Anyone ever use a clothing rental service? I was thinking of using rental service for formal clothing?(Hate to think what would happen if luggage was lost- but I guess that is what travel insurance is for?)I don't have formal/cocktail attire - thinking this may be an alternate to purchasing a dress I will never wear again? It seems that it used to be men could rent a tux for the trip?

4 hours ago, Dev D said:

Strange question.... Anyone ever use a clothing rental service?

It’s all the rage these days.  Almost every designer is in the biz.  It’ll cost you more than buying, but you’ll always have the latest fashion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dev D said:

Strange question.... Anyone ever use a clothing rental service? I was thinking of using rental service for formal clothing?(Hate to think what would happen if luggage was lost- but I guess that is what travel insurance is for?)I don't have formal/cocktail attire - thinking this may be an alternate to purchasing a dress I will never wear again? It seems that it used to be men could rent a tux for the trip?

Good morning, I don't own what is considered "Formal wear" and have never felt out of place on board(been sailing with SS since 2017). A dressy pair of slacks and nice top, some jewelry and black sandals......that is my evening attire on formal nights. Renting clothing for a cruise has never crossed my mind.