Questions... Children, Formal Dress, Smoking, more???

joseph123

23 hours ago, Dev D said:

Strange question.... Anyone ever use a clothing rental service? I was thinking of using rental service for formal clothing?(Hate to think what would happen if luggage was lost- but I guess that is what travel insurance is for?)I don't have formal/cocktail attire - thinking this may be an alternate to purchasing a dress I will never wear again? It seems that it used to be men could rent a tux for the trip?

Several of my female coworkers use these services, especially for 

"wedding season". In addition to being able to wear different dresses for each occasion for less than a single dress would cost, they have also in some cases been able to ship the rental items back from wherever they were for the event, thus freeing up room in the suitcase.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:27 PM, Dev D said:

Strange question.... Anyone ever use a clothing rental service? I was thinking of using rental service for formal clothing?(Hate to think what would happen if luggage was lost- but I guess that is what travel insurance is for?)I don't have formal/cocktail attire - thinking this may be an alternate to purchasing a dress I will never wear again? It seems that it used to be men could rent a tux for the trip?

If you want to dress up a bit and don’t mind spending $100 or so look at Macy’s.  Bonus - you’ll have a fancy dress already on hand for the next cruise!

On 5/4/2022 at 9:11 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, I don't own what is considered "Formal wear" and have never felt out of place on board(been sailing with SS since 2017). A dressy pair of slacks and nice top, some jewelry and black sandals......that is my evening attire on formal nights. Renting clothing for a cruise has never crossed my mind.

So women don’t have to wear a cocktail dress or gown? 

4 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Definitely not. 

Plain dress pants and a top that is fairly smart is fine. If the top had a sprinkle of twinkles that’d be a bonus. 
I often fall back on the non-sexist version of the LBD, ie plain black pants and top with jewelry and/or a pashmina. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Jolly is correct, no, women do not have to wear dresses or gowns. As I mentioned, I don't wear dresses and I still feel appropriate on formal nights. Actually, I don't own any dresses so they are definitely not on my packing list for cruising.

• Like 1

Agreed - on pretty well all  luxury lines (possibly not Cunard?) on formal nights many women, including me will wear probably velvet or crepe black pants with a 'dressy' top, either a 'sparkly' one or with a nice piece of jewellery to zhuzz it up.  So, one pair of pants and two or three tops, and you are sorted.  

Lola

• Like 2

Actually photos posting upside down or sideways is not limited to CC or Apple. I am now taking my photos largely with my Samsung phone and on the other travel site I use the photos can come out upside down

When this happens I just download my phone pics to Picasa,orientate them and post.

Now on facebook Rojaan posted a photo of our favourite tropical fruit. Someone on this site hadn't seen them before. So here it is -mangosteens. Fantastic taste.

20220507_140949.jpg.83bddfe239b9897feb09a6714ee76cbd.jpg.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Jolly is correct, no, women do not have to wear dresses or gowns... I don't own what is considered "Formal wear" and have never felt out of place on board(been sailing with SS since 2017). A dressy pair of slacks and nice top, some jewelry and black sandals......that is my evening attire on formal nights...  I don't wear dresses and I still feel appropriate on formal nights.

I always find it amusing that in threads about formal nights and dress, the focus is almost always on meeting the men's clothing standard. If someone asks whether a man can skip wearing a tie, or wear a sport jacket instead of a dark suit, those who are fans of formal nights sometimes chastise them for not conforming to the rules, and/or direct them to eat outdoors at the Grill or in their suite. But as Lois writes here: women need not wear "formal" clothing (e.g. fancy dresses or gowns), just something nice so they feel appropriate.

I'm not complaining, and definitely not trying to start a debate about whether the dress code should or shouldn't be changed — I'm just noting the difference between the strong reactions to what men do/don't need to wear and the answers to the same questions for women. It always cracks me up. 🙂 

Just looked at our July Silver Muse Alaska cruise. Along the bottom of the Activities section of My Silversea is a legend, with a black tie icon for a formal night. But there is 0 black tie icon in the daily Activities columns. Is it now that Alaska cruises have no formal night?

But still imagine that a jacket over a nice shirt & trousers for DH and a nice dress or top and trousers for me will work every night?

Lois's description of her outfit is perfectly consistent with the guidlines for a lady's outfit on formal night:

Screenshot_20220509-162806_Drive.thumb.jpg.25d72e95a5c0333d29239d789b7d30ab.jpg

However, a man asking to not wear a tie or jacket on formal night would be contrary to this guidline. Thus the different response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@jpalbny First, I wasn't suggesting anyone was violating the rules; I was just noting that it seems funny to me that there are significantly different standards of "formal" for men and women. 

Second, since you've posted the definition of formalwear which I believe is from this forum's files, I'd just note that it does not agree with what's posted on the Silversea website. The image you shared shows:

image.thumb.png.c064bb8734c7393b0ca3b4a3d3aaee28.png

But on Silversea.com, in the section on packing clothing for a cruise, is what I assume is the official definition of formal clothing:

image.thumb.png.ea6ff0000b076e06c69121a61b6a9d84.png

Note that it does not mention "elegant pants or tops" there.

I think Lois stated well what works for her,  and is widely accepted as acceptable for women. "A dressy pair of slacks and nice top" doesn't really equate with true "formalwear" for women, but as I see it, everyone looks wonderful and I don't think anyone complains. But if someone suggests that a man might wear nice dress pants and a sport jacket, they're scolded for not respecting/following the rules (and even, by some, for negatively impacting their experience on formal nights). I just find these differing standards, along with the amount they're discussed, dissected and debated, amusing. 🙂

3 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

"A dressy pair of slacks and nice top" doesn't really equate with true "formalwear" for women,

I would definitely disagree about this not being true formal wear. For quite awhile now dressy pant suits or pants and top in high end fabric such as silk, satin, crepe etc has been allowable as formal wear. A friend a few years ago wore a tuxedo styled pant suit with a camisole top one formal night and she looked fabulous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I always find it amusing that in threads about formal nights and dress, the focus is almost always on meeting the men's clothing standard. 

I'm not complaining, and definitely not trying to start a debate about whether the dress code should or shouldn't be changed — I'm just noting the difference between the strong reactions to what men do/don't need to wear and the answers to the same questions for women. It always cracks me up.

50 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

But if someone suggests that a man might wear nice dress pants and a sport jacket, they're scolded for not respecting/following the rules (and even, by some, for negatively impacting their experience on formal nights). I just find these differing standards, along with the amount they're discussed, dissected and debated, amusing.

What I find amusing is how it's usually the same person(s) who finds a way to bring up a subject they disagree with time and time again, then offers a cop-out excuse as to why they are bringing up the subject again.  

It's also sad how some people will chastise a person who takes the time to respond nicely by pointing out why such differences exist in the aforementioned topic.

Thankfully, the good news is that we all know you'll follow the policies even though you don't like them.  And, we also know the above posts are just your opinion which you are more than entitled too. 

• Like 2

Thanks for proving a different point. Silversea doesn't update their website enough. 

We were last on Silver Spirit in November. Here is the dress code from the Chronicles for our formal night. 

20220509_185853.thumb.jpg.b06d2cfcaef6aeb86ff24b169c772c72.jpg

I think this illustrates that SS actually *do* listen to their clientele and they *have* loosened the dress code for formal night somewhat. They do fall a bit short on clearly communicating this, I agree.

But yeah, we men folk do have to wear a jacket and tie. I think that they trust the ladies more than they trust us...if they weren't explicitly clear with us men, we'd show up in bathrobes and slippers. And we'd try to say that they are "formal" because they all have matching Silversea logos.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

What I find amusing is how it's usually the same person(s) who finds a way to bring up a subject they disagree with time and time again, then offers a cop-out excuse as to why they are bringing up the subject again.

Huh? I don't think that I've ever said I disagree with Silversea dress code or policies. I think all I've said in the past is that my personal preference would be to not need to pack the extra clothing for a single formal night versus wearing nice pants, sport coat and tie. But I've never railed against the existing policy.

48 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

It's also sad how some people will chastise a person who takes the time to respond nicely by pointing out why such differences exist in the aforementioned topic.

Is this about me? Where did I chastise anyone? 

@Stumblefoot I've clearly ticked you off in some of my posts on this forum, because you've recently written several sharp rebukes to my posts. I honestly don't think I've written anything offensive, negative, or controversial, but you clearly see things differently. I'm sorry I continue to offend you. I think I'll aim to cut down my participation on this forum; I've always participated to share information and to share in the fun (and occasional pains) of cruising, but if I'm being told my posts are problematic repeatedly, perhaps I need to refrain from participating as I've enjoyed doing in the past. 

33 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

But yeah, we men folk do have to wear a jacket and tie. I think that they trust the ladies more than they trust us...if they weren't explicitly clear with us men, we'd show up in bathrobes and slippers.

🤣   

Very interesting that the website has one definition and Chronicles has another (both published by Silversea) and the Facebook Silversea forum (not official) has a third.

In any case, all I was trying to comment on originally was that when someone says a man might wear a "jacket and tie", as you say, it crosses a red line and brings objections that the dress code requires a dark suit or tux, and that a jacket and tie is actually not sufficient for formal night, but it is agreed that for a woman, "a dressy pair of slacks and nice top" is absolutely acceptable. It's not a big deal, and to whatever degree I have ruffled anyone's feathers in commenting that I found this amusing, I'm sorry. I will do my best to not comment on any post mentioning dress again!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

Okay, now I need to ask - will I feel overdressed in a long gown on formal nights?  

Only you will know how you feel but there’s no need to feel overdressed, there will probably be all sorts of garments on display. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Only if it resembled any of those seen at the Met Ball.

Lola

I wish!  The best eye candy.

PS  It doesn't

Edited by alc13

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I think this illustrates that SS actually *do* listen to their clientele and they *have* loosened the dress code for formal night somewhat. They do fall a bit short on clearly communicating this, I agree

With all due respect there is definitely a communication issue or perhaps a land/sea communication difference.   Being new to Silversea I called their Miami offices last week.  I received a document by email dated April 22 that provides the “evening dress/cocktail dress”  version for Classic cruises.  🤦‍♀️It doesn’t matter to me as have all categories in my closet. I just wanted to know what to pack.  As “cocktail dress” is consistent  in both versions ..that is what I will bring.🤣 

• Like 1

That is probably the 'safest' mode of dress - not that I have ever seen anyone object to pants and an evening top, and in my mind a long dress is just slightly over the top nowadays.  Just a very personal opinion, from someone who just never wears skirts! (Partly because I actually look better or at least awful in pants).

Lola

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is probably the 'safest' mode of dress - not that I have ever seen anyone object to pants and an evening top, and in my mind a long dress is just slightly over the top nowadays.  Just a very personal opinion, from someone who just never wears skirts! (Partly because I actually look better or at least awful in pants).

Lola

Good point.  I actually look pretty good in a long gown, so that's part of the appeal.  And the Mister looks stupendous in a tux.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Good point.  I actually look pretty good in a long gown, so that's part of the appeal.  And the Mister looks stupendous in a tux.

You will see long gowns and tuxes too. So if that is your pleasure, go for it.🙂

• Like 3