Debit Cards?

Rick&Jeannie

I just got off of a chat with a Princess rep and got some info that I'm not sure I believe.

I was told that the on-board ship account could be set up with a debit card.  It seems like I have seen various threads that say you *cannot* use a debit card.  (She appeared to be new...)

Also, the rep suggested that OBC could be purchased with the debit card...but that it would NOT be refundable...everything would have to be "used up" during the cruise.  That doesn't sound right at all!

Anybody have any first-hand knowledge?

Debit cards can cause major issues where you suddenly find you have been cut off mid-cruise. Don't do it. Any OBC that is purchased should definitely be refundable as it is something you bought rather than a "gift" or "promotion" from Princess.

Sounds like you got a bad Princess representative.

• Like 4

You can use debit cards. But, be aware. Travel experts always recommend using credit cards for travel due to various banking procedures such as the ability to challenge charges without having your bank account funds blocked until the claim is settled and others. Check your bank's procedures. The negative issues for using debit cards for travel are all with your bank, not Princess.

As far as I am aware purchased OBC is always refundable. That money is yours. Someone provided bad advice.

• Like 2

I fully agree!  I am asking for some family "first-timers".  I was a bit surprised that they don't have a credit card.  I'm going to recommend that they just get one and be done with it.  I just wanted them to be fully aware of what they might be facing.

Regarding the "non-refundable" advice...that's just like handing Princess some cash at the beginning of the cruise and them saying "Sorry...I'm going to keep any of your cash that you don't spend...it's mine now"!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I fully agree!  I am asking for some family "first-timers".  I was a bit surprised that they don't have a credit card.  I'm going to recommend that they just get one and be done with it.  I just wanted them to be fully aware of what they might be facing.

Or if they don't want to get a credit card for whatever reason- could set up the Onboard account with Cash. 

• Like 2

Always use a credit card. Using a debit card can put a hold on your bank account leading to direct debits, standing orders and the like getting bounced. Also if you have hassle eg your card illegally used the credit card company will fight your corner to get your money back. 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Grammar

54 minutes ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Or if they don't want to get a credit card for whatever reason- could set up the Onboard account with Cash. 

This. ☝️

Cash will work fine. If they want to use their debit card just take cash from the account instead. Once onboard they can deposit the cash with the Customer Service Desk (whatever happened to calling the Purser by the proper name?) and they will deduct all onboard charges from the cash. Any leftover cash can be returned to them the last day of the cruise.

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I fully agree!  I am asking for some family "first-timers".  I was a bit surprised that they don't have a credit card.  I'm going to recommend that they just get one and be done with it. 

How did they pay for the cruise?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

This. ☝️

Cash will work fine. If they want to use their debit card just take cash from the account instead. Once onboard they can deposit the cash with the Customer Service Desk (whatever happened to calling the Purser by the proper name?) and they will deduct all onboard charges from the cash. Any leftover cash can be returned to them the last day of the cruise.

If they do cash, tell them to bring several hundred more than they think they'll need.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Thanks to all.  I'm just going to tell them to suck it up and go get a credit card!  I can see too many issues (for this couple) to try and handle it any other way!

be very careful ... they may have their own reasons why they don't / can't get a credit card...

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

be very careful ... they may have their own reasons why they don't / can't get a credit card...

Yup - been there, and done that.  5 years of dealing with all the hassles of not having/being able to get a credit card.  It may be something that they just can’t “suck it up”.   It’s painful.  That was 32 years ago and I still remember those days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

No...they actually offered up the possibility but I assured them that I would ask the question!

a 'debit/check' card CAN be used to set up the onboard account on Princess ... secure a reservation at the Hilton Marina ... and get a rental car from Enterprise

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Debit cards are attached to your checking account. At least mine is and any hacking could empty your account in a flash. I would never do that

I have first hand experience with using a debit card for purchasing things many years ago and I NEVER use a debit card any longer. I had my entire checking account, regular savings account and $1000 in overdraft protection taken from my accounts over a 3 day period. The damages were several thousand dollars and it took my bank a couple weeks to investigate and return the funds to my account. In the meantime mortgage payment, car payment, credit card payments all bounced. Because of the amount stolen it was considered grand theft and it was done by professionals who the police said wait until the beginning of the month when people typically have the most money in their accounts. 

I haven’t used a debit card since this happened, 25 years ago. I also advise my friends and family to NEVER use a debit card for any purchases.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I just got off of a chat with a Princess rep and got some info that I'm not sure I believe.

I was told that the on-board ship account could be set up with a debit card.  It seems like I have seen various threads that say you *cannot* use a debit card.  (She appeared to be new...)

Also, the rep suggested that OBC could be purchased with the debit card...but that it would NOT be refundable...everything would have to be "used up" during the cruise.  That doesn't sound right at all!

Anybody have any first-hand knowledge?

Don't use a debit card.  It could be extremely difficult to get your money back, if there is any problem.

5 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

Yup - been there, and done that.  5 years of dealing with all the hassles of not having/being able to get a credit card.  It may be something that they just can’t “suck it up”.   It’s painful.  That was 32 years ago and I still remember those days.

A good friend had this issue. He finally "bought" a credit card. He gave the bank something like $750 and they gave him a "credit card" with a $750 limit. He used that to establish credit and went on from there. It was a pain in the butt but it worked and he eventually ended up with decent credit. (I hate the idea of "decent" credit. I like "WOWZER!!!" credit.)

Hubby and I use credit cards for our onboard accounts.  I do pre-purchase excursions, dining, etc using my debit card.  We’re pretty frugal on board and usually have have less than $100 owed.  I sometimes go to Guest Services to pay off the balance with a debit card or even cash the night before disembarkation.  I just hate to have a credit card charge of $9.63!  

I had a fraudulent charge against a debit card once, and that was one scary afternoon. Fortunately my bank understood that I couldn't fill my tank in Walnut Creek CA and buy 1500 gallons of marine gas outside Houston within a few minutes. NEVER AGAIN

But it took my dtr over a month to convince her bank that no one can make all those withdrawals (across 3 counties) at the same time. 

Just imagine what it would be like if you were onboard and couldn't catch it in the same day. (I never log onto my accounts onboard)

• Like 1