New HAL no test Rule for May?

Coyote Chris

OK, I am confused.  I just got off the K dam Feb 27th after a wonderful one week Cruise of the Mexican coast. Thanks to all that gave me their input on cruising in these times. It was all good.

a few weeks after getting back. I emailed my HAL cruise consultant to see if DocGo was going to be in Seattle for my May 7th trip to Alaska on the Eurodam.  (I used eMed in San Diego)  

My consultant said there was no requirment for testing on my May 7th Trip???????

I Quickly glanced through my boarding docs and I didnt see any reference to being tested before the cruise .

I have been very busy since returning from my cruise. Did I miss a change in policy for Alaska cruises?  

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We would consider this good news.  I’d be happier if they removed the testing requirement today.

It would be GREAT news.  I am hassling with the requirement this week as there seems to be some issues with the new 3 day rule out of San DIego.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

It would be GREAT news.  I am hassling with the requirement this week as there seems to be some issues with the new 3 day rule out of San DIego.  

We would be doing a huge happy dance if we didn’t need to test for next week’s cruise.  To think that all that planning could be ruined by a false positive report.  I’ve decided come fall if testing to board is required we will cancel.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We would be doing a huge happy dance if we didn’t need to test for next week’s cruise.  To think that all that planning could be ruined by a false positive report.  I’ve decided come fall if testing to board is required we will cancel.

You should write HAL and tell them that.  The program is voluntary and they could make a decision to not test

• Like 5

I do think it is about time they ended the Covid testing requirment.  At least locally, many of the testing centers are now charging for the test (for travel) or at least warning people that insurance may not cover it, so be prepared to pay.  Even one of the large pharmacy chains has redone their website to at least imply that this may be the case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I think it would be reasonable to lift the testing requirement for everyone who is up to date on their vaccines, and require a test for those who are unvaccinated or under-vaccinated.

And those who are showing symptoms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I think it would be reasonable to lift the testing requirement for everyone who is up to date on their vaccines, and require a test for those who are unvaccinated or under-vaccinated.

Unvaccinated are not currently allowed to sail on HAL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I do think it is about time they ended the Covid testing requirment.  At least locally, many of the testing centers are now charging for the test (for travel) or at least warning people that insurance may not cover it, so be prepared to pay.  Even one of the large pharmacy chains has redone their website to at least imply that this may be the case.

I’d love to even have a thought that the Covid test would be free. Here is Canada you have to pay for it and there is no chance of taking a Covid test for travel that is free. At the local airport Covid tests cost $150

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I'm also ready to cruise without the required test, as long as vaccination is required.  In our family, the testing has been inconclusive among those vaccinated and the illness has been mild, so the tests just seem superfluous.

• Like 3

Well I don't mind the testing although it is a bit of a pain. I'll get back to you after I have actually gone thru it. Plan now is to do the at home test on Friday morning. Price will be anywhere from $25 to $35 depending on who you buy it thru.( I have 6 so no reason to save them.) At the same time Walgreens will still do testing for free so I will schedule one for Friday afternoon in case I can't pull off at home. Not sure I will enjoy the drive thru window for testing. Didn't realize that was why I was waiting so long for a pick up last week.

A little surprised while trying to pull off the veriFly that HAL does not require the booster. If you are going to try the veriFly start early as it still has some bugs. I got it done but exchanged 5 emails with the developer. At some point you might decide it is not worth it.

Old school works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, opa&oma said:

We will be sailing out of Rome. Wondering where we go for testing there. Anyone know?

I would think that they will announce their European embarkation plans (vax, testing and Venice embarkation) during the 2nd half of April as first embarkations are around 1st May.  

• Thanks 1

Have not cruised since February ‘20 and debating whether to cancel several bookings unless testing is dropped.

Fully boosted so just not worth the hassle and nail biting IMO for pre-cruise testing.

Hope the rumors prove true.

• Like 1

Updated March 14, 2022

Vaccinations & Testing

For everyone’s safety and peace of mind, all guests must be fully vaccinated and provide a negative viral COVID-19 test taken before embarkation. If you’re required to take a test before you return to your home country, we’ll provide one for you at no charge.
Review our FAQs to learn more.

Fake news about no test required.

• Thanks 2

U.S. Sailings Questions & Answers

Everything you need to know about current health protocols and travel requirements on sailings from the U.S.

Your health and safety are our highest priorities. We are working with government authorities to determine specific guidelines and protocols for 2022 cruises to Alaska, Europe and other destinations. We will share final details and requirements between 90-30 days prior to sailing.

Updated March 14, 2022

Until further notice, these are the requirements for our cruise guests on sailings from the U.S.:

Vaccines: Guests ages 5 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated.

Testing: All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.

Masks: Masks are recommended on board but not required. However, masks may be required in certain venues and events. Masks are required during the embarkation and debarkation process and on transportation during shore excursions and to/from the ship. 

Some more information fron the FAQ's

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

According to this media article, Royal Caribbean goes even one better - no vaccinations after July 2 - on some ships and some cruises.  As with all media reports - trust, but verify:

https://nypost.com/2021/06/06/royal-caribbean-wont-require-covid-19-vaccination-to-ride-cruises/

Data is now accumulating over the past few years that will support future cruise protocol decisions, including a reanalysis of what was learned from the very first infection alarm on the Diamond Princess.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

U.S. Sailings Questions & Answers

Everything you need to know about current health protocols and travel requirements on sailings from the U.S.

Your health and safety are our highest priorities. We are working with government authorities to determine specific guidelines and protocols for 2022 cruises to Alaska, Europe and other destinations. We will share final details and requirements between 90-30 days prior to sailing.

Updated March 14, 2022

Until further notice, these are the requirements for our cruise guests on sailings from the U.S.:

Vaccines: Guests ages 5 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated.

Testing: All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.

Masks: Masks are recommended on board but not required. However, masks may be required in certain venues and events. Masks are required during the embarkation and debarkation process and on transportation during shore excursions and to/from the ship. 

Some more information fron the FAQ's

I think this is the best info at this time.  

"We are working with government authorities to determine specific guidelines and protocols for 2022 cruises to Alaska, Europe and other destinations. We will share final details and requirements between 90-30 days prior to sailing.

Updated March 14, 2022"

Just so I dont put words into my consultant's mouth, here are his exact words, which jive with the above statement.

"There is no known COVID testing requirements for your trip, yet, but we will contact you when it’s been determined!"

I did not realize that since I am vaxed and boosted, I had a three day window...so I made flights and reservations at a hotel to arrive one day early at SeaTac.  That way, the day before my flight, I can take an at home eMED test and/or visit a local establishment in Spokane.  

• Thanks 1