Best way to show crew appreciation, besides cash?

riekl

What are some methods others have used to show appreciation?  For example the concierge on SY has already gone out of their way for me and I want to bring something for them, that they get to keep and not split.  Gift cards ? Personal notes ?  What have you done ?  

Cash or high marks on the survey and mention them by name.

Gifts are always problematic.  They do not have much room in their cabin (see YouTube) and they are onboard for 6 or more months at a time.

So cash is good.  Small, and they can get what THEY want/need.

Mentioning them in the survey gets into their record and helps with promotions and raises.

• Like 7

Ask them what you can bring back for them before you go ashore.  Many have been stuck on board for their entire contract.  Things are starting to loosen up in that regard, but it's still a bit tight.

Many need simple things like a charging cord, batteries, hair brush, toothbrush, other sundries, or just a big bag of snacks.  They can order things from Amazon and the like to the ship, but they get charged $5 for each delivery.

You haven't seen joy until you've seen your favorite bartenders lose their mind over getting a couple big bags of junk food and other goodies from the CVS, Walgreens, or what have you.  It's right at the end of the pier, but they haven't been able to get there for months.

• Like 3

nice big cash tip at end of sailing.  I saw crew members in March in Cozumel off the ship at the Sky Reef bar.  One I recognized because he had been commenting to other guests (I don't want to say where) about how he could really use a type of red bull.  Another crew member at one of the dining places was saying how they never got off ship to get anything and I saw him in a port shop in Cozumel as well.  So, I prefer just to give them cash for great service and let them buy whatever they want.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

nice big cash tip at end of sailing.  I saw crew members in March in Cozumel off the ship at the Sky Reef bar.  One I recognized because he had been commenting to other guests (I don't want to say where) about how he could really use a type of red bull.  Another crew member at one of the dining places was saying how they never got off ship to get anything and I saw him in a port shop in Cozumel as well.  So, I prefer just to give them cash for great service and let them buy whatever they want.

Totally this.  Has it been tough the past couple of years to get goods?  Of course.  But the vast majority would rather have cash than a tube of toothpaste or a bag of M&Ms.  Especially now that things are opening back up. 

I've said it before in threads like this, but it's like the old joke about getting gift cards for Christmas...."gee thanks, you took $50 that I could have spent anywhere and turned it into $50 that I could only spend in one store."

• Like 5

Cash is King, along with recognition on the survey with their name being acknowledged. Add to that, be polite and kind. 

If one wanted to do something over and above, I guess one could ask if they need something from port.  That is if you are willing to find and bring it back for/to them. If they can not get off the ship, they are getting something they actually need VS something they might have no need for. 

• Like 1

If you want to see some excitement take a couple of orange bottles of liquid detergent and some dryer sheets. The folks who have been stuck onboard have had to buy that stuff from the crew store and it is more than double the price that we can get it for shoreside... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

Totally this.  Has it been tough the past couple of years to get goods?  Of course.  But the vast majority would rather have cash than a tube of toothpaste or a bag of M&Ms.  Especially now that things are opening back up. 

I've said it before in threads like this, but it's like the old joke about getting gift cards for Christmas...."gee thanks, you took $50 that I could have spent anywhere and turned it into $50 that I could only spend in one store."

Yes.  For heaven's sake, treat them like adults who understand the terms of their working agreement who can actually manage for themselves.  They aren't helpless.  They don't need a savior.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Yes.  For heaven's sake, treat them like adults who understand the terms of their working agreement who can actually manage for themselves.  They aren't helpless.  They don't need a savior.

exactly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riekl said:

What are some methods others have used to show appreciation?  For example the concierge on SY has already gone out of their way for me and I want to bring something for them, that they get to keep and not split.  Gift cards ? Personal notes ?  What have you done ?  

The very best above all is give them a positive comment in your review with the cruise line. That is how they get promoted. We will always get the name of any crew member that goes over and beyond.

• Like 1

I'm planning to stop by Costco before I leave in April and buy the 5 gallon bucket of cold meds, and the jumbo size case of feminine hygiene products. I fully expect to get the best service ever when word gets out among the crew that I have the goods 🙂  (That's a joke based on recent threads).

These are grown adults, they aren't your kids, or grandkids.  They want cash.  On second thought your grandkids want cash too. These "the crew was so excited when I gave them XYZ" makes me chuckle.  They get paid to smile and be nice.  Keep it simple, give cash and don't put them in a position where you make them pretend to be your new best friend.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wake74 said:

I'm planning to stop by Costco before I leave in April and buy the 5 gallon bucket of cold meds, and the jumbo size case of feminine hygiene products. I fully expect to get the best service ever when word gets out among the crew that I have the goods 🙂  (That's a joke based on recent threads).

These are grown adults, they aren't your kids, or grandkids.  They want cash.  On second thought your grandkids want cash too. These "the crew was so excited when I gave them XYZ" makes me chuckle.  They get paid to smile and be nice.  Keep it simple, give cash and don't put them in a position where you make them pretend to be your new best friend.

Exactly. They're going to act gracious no matter what you give them. Even if they hate it and would prefer cash, they're going to thank you and say they love it. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wake74 said:

bingo. I think 90% of us if in the crews shoes truthfully would rather have cash then candy.

• Like 4

I always bring a couple of 1lb (made in my hometown) boxes of assorted chocolates and a cards to go with.  One usually goes to my cabin attendant the first time we meet.  Second goes to whomever did a really nice job.

In addition to the usual cash tips, natch.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

bingo. I think 90% of us if in the crews shoes truthfully would rather have cash then candy.

I hope that is true these days, but it hasn't been recently.  All you had to do was ask.  Some said that they were fine.  Some nearly melted when we asked if we could bring something back.

We'd never just start passing out unsolicted snacks and sundries as if we were at a rescue shelter.

Cash and good surveys with comments. You can watch YouTube videos and see the size of their cabins and with a roommate they don’t have much room for anything more than what they already have in there. I was told candy and stuff gets put in bowls in their common use play areas for everybody to have. 

Edited by bigque

Remember, they are not little kids, that get excited over a candy bar, or some bag of doritos.  They are adults, that work a normal job, and their income is cash.....cash.....and more cash.  They would rather have the $2.00 in cash, than a candy bar, with a smily sticker on it.  CASH!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I hope that is true these days, but it hasn't been recently.  All you had to do was ask.  Some said that they were fine.  Some nearly melted when we asked if we could bring something back.

We'd never just start passing out unsolicted snacks and sundries as if we were at a rescue shelter.

Problem is you are setting a precedent.  And it is unfair to those who opt out.  The way to thank is with gratuities and/or cash.

• Like 1