Best way to show crew appreciation, besides cash?

riekl

7 hours ago, riekl said:

What are some methods others have used to show appreciation?  For example the concierge on SY has already gone out of their way for me and I want to bring something for them, that they get to keep and not split.  Gift cards ? Personal notes ?  What have you done ?  

Amazon gift cards, which are like cash, would be useful. They all use Amazon extensively I was told by staff.

4 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

I always bring a couple of 1lb (made in my hometown) boxes of assorted chocolates and a cards to go with.  One usually goes to my cabin attendant the first time we meet.  Second goes to whomever did a really nice job.

In addition to the usual cash tips, natch.

And if they're allergic to chocolate?

• Like 1

I leave a big bag of fun size assorted Snickers/M&Ms/Milky Way etc with an envelope containing a fat tip.  If they're allergic or don't like candy, I'm sure they'll find a taker for it and they still keep the cash.

Edited by Broons77
  • Like 1

I'm with most on this one too.  Cash, remembering their names for the survey and a thank you with a smile.  I put their names in my phone as soon as I come across someone who's gone out of their way or is really nice so that I can enter them in the survey.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I'm with most on this one too.  Cash, remembering their names for the survey and a thank you with a smile.  I put their names in my phone as soon as I come across someone who's gone out of their way or is really nice so that I can enter them in the survey.  

We do the same and if possible take photos of them and name tags.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wake74 said:

These "the crew was so excited when I gave them XYZ" makes me chuckle.  They get paid to smile and be nice.  Keep it simple, give cash and don't put them in a position where you make them pretend to be your new best friend.

They would be so excited with ANYTHING you gave them.  As you say, they are paid to be nice, friendly, and excited about everything YOU do.

3 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I put their names in my phone as soon as I come across someone who's gone out of their way or is really nice so that I can enter them in the survey.  

THIS.  I also always pick a 'regular' employee who usually doesn't get tips - the guy sanitizing the buttons in the elevator or the lady cleaning the restroom who always smiles - and leave them a tip envelope in the box at Guest Services.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, flamingos said:

THIS.  I also always pick a 'regular' employee who usually doesn't get tips - the guy sanitizing the buttons in the elevator or the lady cleaning the restroom who always smiles - and leave them a tip envelope in the box at Guest Services.

On our last cruise we overheard two pool area cleaners talking and one mentioned tomorrow was his birthday.  When he came by the next day we gave him a $20 and wished him a happy birthday.  The look on his face was priceless and he asked how we knew it was his birthday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These threads pop up from time to time.  Like everyone else says, CASH IS KING.  I saw someone mention Amazon Gift Cards.  Problem there, that means the crew would have to have access for Amazon to ship to….kind of tough on a moving ship, although I’m sure doable.  Still, cash would trump Amazon.

Food/candies, of any kind, while I’m sure cheaper, may or may not by to a crew member’s taste.

Gifts, same as candy, unless there were some significant greenbacks included with the gift, are also a matter of taste.  Giver’s taste may be quite different than the receiver’s taste.  Giver may think their gift choice is just wonderful.  Receiver will no doubt smile and thank you.  But, in all probability, will think “what the heck am I going to do with this?”.  Understand, their living quarters are tiny to begin with.  Any physical gift will just add to the clutter.

CASH!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I saw someone mention Amazon Gift Cards.  Problem there, that means the crew would have to have access for Amazon to ship to….kind of tough on a moving ship, although I’m sure doable.

I’ve read that crew are able to get packages delivered to their ship’s home port. Not as good as cash. However they might also share the Amazon card with family at home no different than a money wire. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, Bead Pirate said:

If you want to see some excitement take a couple of orange bottles of liquid detergent and some dryer sheets. The folks who have been stuck onboard have had to buy that stuff from the crew store and it is more than double the price that we can get it for shoreside... 

Sorry, I think giving cleaning, hygiene, and other stuff is crazy.  Room stewards have quite a few rooms to take care of each week. If just one cabin a week brings them a bottle of liquid detergent, that means by the end of the month they will have 4 bottles of detergent. Where are they going to store it? As a single person, who needs 4 bottles of detergent and dryer sheets a month?  Same with the hygiene products. This seems to be a more popular "gift," a basket of hygiene products. At the end of the month they could have 20-50 tubes of toothpaste or deodorant depending on the number of cabins a week that decide they need a care package.  And they will smile and be excited for the first tube of toothpaste to the 50th tube. They are well trained customer service professionals. It is their job to make you feel special.  Of course they are going to act excited when you give them yet another bottle of shampoo or detergent.

These are not homeless people on the street that need hygiene products, cleaning supplies, and socks.  If you believe the crew store is 2x as expensive (although not according to crew youtube videos) then give 2x the cash you were going to spend on toothpaste or laundry detergent.

With cash, they can make international calls, they can buy the laundry soap, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, snacks of their choice, they can send home cash to their families, cash is the ultimate gift.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

And if they're allergic to chocolate?

They die a horrible anaphylactic shock death.  Hopefully they get to spend the cash tip I include before that kicks in.

Edited by mk-ultra

I really wan't trying to start a toxic conversation sorry all !  I wanted to genuinely show appreciation, my concern with cash was I thought they had to pool that, and I am very mistrustful of putting it in an envelope and hoping it gets to them.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, riekl said:

I really wan't trying to start a toxic conversation sorry all !  I wanted to genuinely show appreciation, my concern with cash was I thought they had to pool that, and I am very mistrustful of putting it in an envelope and hoping it gets to them.  

I believe they only have to pool cash tips if the customer has removed auto-gratuities.  If you have your auto gratuities intact, the person you give a cash tip is allowed to keep the extra.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, Another_Critic said:

Smile, thank them, don't be a pest ... and give them a 10 on the survey.

Exactly this.  And also mention them by name on the survey in the comments section.

We always bring a local T-shirt (our son's high school-Mustang Broncos) and guess that size large works.  One room steward was so excited to play basketball in his off time and show off his shirt to his brother (also a room steward).  And he also liked the cash we gave him!!

• Haha 1