Best way to show crew appreciation, besides cash?

riekl

We usually hit guest services on the 2nd to last day and have all the gratuities removed.  We have found that the crew prefers thoughts, prayers, and praise the most.  We have even had crew refuse the money and say the smile on our faces is thanks enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 3/22/2022 at 10:38 AM, riekl said:

What are some methods others have used to show appreciation?  For example the concierge on SY has already gone out of their way for me and I want to bring something for them, that they get to keep and not split.  Gift cards ? Personal notes ?  What have you done ?  

Cash and cash only if you wish to tip above the suggested. I know some people like to pass out trinkets and other things but in reality, most of that stuff is going to end up in the garbage. We almost always tip above the expected to people who we think did a splendid job. A discreet hand shake with a $20 in would do the trick nicely I suspect.

• Like 4

To the people who suggest bringing detergent as gifts for the crew… I barely have room in my suitcase for my clothes and other stuff that I need and I can’t imagine having to squeeze in a couple jugs of Tide to give someone as a gift.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Not these

image.jpeg.7f4e3d24f43ca9cefdb5da8d3945c23e.jpeg

I loved my Canadian Tire money! I bought all my gas at Canadian Tire back when I lived there.  I'd save it for for ages until I could buy something completely unnecessary.  Saddest day of my Canadian Tire life was when they switched to electronic money.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, riekl said:

I really wan't trying to start a toxic conversation sorry all !  I wanted to genuinely show appreciation, my concern with cash was I thought they had to pool that, and I am very mistrustful of putting it in an envelope and hoping it gets to them.  

I don't use the envelopes.  I put it straight into their hand.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, riekl said:

I really wan't trying to start a toxic conversation sorry all !  I wanted to genuinely show appreciation, my concern with cash was I thought they had to pool that, and I am very mistrustful of putting it in an envelope and hoping it gets to them.  

It really is something to behold isn't it? 

Have fun! 🍻

9 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm amazed at the number that can't seem to grasp that concept.

I'm amazed at the number who can't grasp the concept of asking them what they want (while also tipping cash, of course).

I'm also amazed at the number who did not seem to read and certainly did not answer OP's question. It's almost like watching a confirmation hearing. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I loved my Canadian Tire money! I bought all my gas at Canadian Tire back when I lived there.  I'd save it for for ages until I could buy something completely unnecessary.  Saddest day of my Canadian Tire life was when they switched to electronic money.

One good thing about the electronic money is I can't loose it. I think we switched to electronic 10 ish years ago so we haven't collected the CT bills since then. But I'm still finding CT bills  when ever we clean out the drawers around the house, the garage, the shed, ....

Last year, between what I sold our 10 year old gas lawn mower for and out CT money we bought a brand new battery powered lawn mover and an extra battery. But the best thing is Mrs. Dawg loves electric, and she' taken over mowing the lawn!

More time for golf for yours  truly!!

🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GWP-OKC said:

We always bring a local T-shirt (our son's high school-Mustang Broncos) and guess that size large works.  One room steward was so excited to play basketball in his off time and show off his shirt to his brother (also a room steward).  And he also liked the cash we gave him!!

🤔 The stewards didn't react the same way when we tipped them with our local hockey team's jerseys. 

I guess you must have washed yours first. 🤢

• Haha 1

During the 40 plus cruises I have been on I have literally asked 100s of crew members what they like to receive the most. The next crew member who says anything other than cash will be the first. 

On the other hand, I have picked up things at ports for crew members per their request who couldn’t get off the ship, which has been very common the last 9 months. 

• Like 2

What are some methods others have used to show appreciation? For example the concierge on SY has already gone out of their way for me and I want to bring something for them, that they get to keep and not split. Gift cards ? Personal notes ?

This was the OP.  So I will answer again as apparently I didn't address this.  Cash in envelopes provided plus a thank you note.  And a 10 on the survey.  This will matter much more than Powerade or Hershey bars.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bstel said:

We usually hit guest services on the 2nd to last day and have all the gratuities removed.  We have found that the crew prefers thoughts, prayers, and praise the most.  We have even had crew refuse the money and say the smile on our faces is thanks enough.

Joking, I hope. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Why hasn’t this been moved off of Royal board, nothing to do with this specific cruise line. 

I don’t understand the premise of the question. It’s sort of like what’s the best way to pay my employees without cash or how can I live in retirement without cash?

No, he was asking for additional ways,  after cash tips, to show appreciation.  The consensus is to be a nice person, leave a nice note, and praise them by name on the evaluation form you get after the cruise.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, DCPIV said:

I'm amazed at the number who can't grasp the concept of asking them what they want (while also tipping cash, of course).

I'm also amazed at the number who did not seem to read and certainly did not answer OP's question. It's almost like watching a confirmation hearing. 

Casually asking someone if they might need something as you disembark at a port is 100% different than bringing unsolicited "gifts," stuff you have no idea if they want or need, on the cruise with you.

And yes, people did answer the OP's question. She asked what kind of gift she could bring. People replied cash was the best gift.

You have a point about watching a confirmation hearing. Many people who bring "gifts" like to see people's reaction when they brag about what they did on social media (not implying this was the intent of the OP.) Much like some at a confirmation hearing are caught searching twitter for reactions to their questioning to see if they are adored.

Edited by cured

9 minutes ago, cured said:

You have a point about watching a confirmation hearing. Many people who bring "gifts" like to see people's reaction when they brag about what they did on social media (not implying this was the intent of the OP.) Much like some at a confirmation hearing are caught searching twitter for reactions to their questioning to see if they are adored.

Much like someone bringing up a confirmation hearing in the middle of a tipping thread on a cruise ship message board, looking to see how many people they impressed, besides themselves.

• Haha 2