Jewelry. Do you take your wedding ring/engagement ring?

On 3/27/2022 at 7:27 PM, John&LaLa said:

Why have jewelry if you're afraid to wear it. The wife always blings out on a cruise. Never an issue in 150+ voyages.

We always bring them on a cruise unless

it is something like a Transatlantic going to Barcelona, Rome, etc.   I’m not interested in having a small fortune on my wrist or my wife’s finger and worrying about the constant treat of thieves in such cities.   I also wouldn’t wear my watch in some ports in the Caribbean.  I just wear one of my other watches.   But we certainly bring our jewelry on Caribbean cruises and wear it onboard

all week.  Less risk of theft onboard than at home in my opinion.  Ports are different obviously.  

• Like 1

I just packed my jewelry today for our upcoming EN b2b (Apr2-22).  I packed multiple pieces, diamond, tanzanite, all white and yellow gold, rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets.  Gives me lots of options.  

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, topnole said:

We always bring them on a cruise unless

it is something like a Transatlantic going to Barcelona, Rome, etc.   I’m not interested in having a small fortune on my wrist or my wife’s finger and worrying about the constant treat of thieves in such cities.   I also wouldn’t wear my watch in some ports in the Caribbean.  I just wear one of my other watches.   But we certainly bring our jewelry on Caribbean cruises and wear it onboard

all week.  Less risk of theft onboard than at home in my opinion.  Ports are different obviously.  

That's how I see it also.

• Like 1

I always wear my wedding band and engagement ring, regardless of where we go. One time years ago I accidentally left my diamond earrings on the dresser of the hotel where we were staying. Sadly I didn’t realize it until I was on the plane flying home, and I never got them back. Ever since then, any time I take jewelry off, I take one of the paper covers off the top of a water glass, put the jewelry in it, and set it on the dresser or in the safe (if we’re leaving the ship/hotel). Much easier to see that way!

• Like 2

I don't for a few reasons. I have gained weight over the years, and the heat and humidity cause my fingers to swell, and I can't get my ring off in the Caribbean. Also, I never sleep with it on (I don't like the feel of it when I'm trying to go to sleep). I have my routines at home for where I put it at night, but I get too paranoid about misplacing it when I'm someplace different... especially when we've had some drinks before bed! Those are just my own weird quirks.

So curious non-judgemental question for the many of you who say you wear a “travel band” be that silicon or whatever.   Is there a particular purpose for that?   I never wear my ring anywhere around water whether that is a pool or beach or my local lake that we camp at so I will wear my ring and then store it in the safe when I am doing anything beach/water related.  But I have never considered wearing an alternate ring and am curious to the reasons others choose to (I will just go bare handed).  Is it because your hand feels funny with no ring on?

My husband never wears his ring except special occasions due to his work and many of his hobbies making it dangerous to wear a ring (don’t want to get a finger tore off).  I don’t even know if I could get him to wear a silicon band, he just wouldn’t be interested.  

6 hours ago, PriceIsRight473 said:

So curious non-judgemental question for the many of you who say you wear a “travel band” be that silicon or whatever.   Is there a particular purpose for that?   ... Is it because your hand feels funny with no ring on?

My husband never wears his ring except special occasions due to his work and many of his hobbies making it dangerous to wear a ring (don’t want to get a finger tore off).  I don’t even know if I could get him to wear a silicon band, he just wouldn’t be interested. 

My hand feels funny and I end up freaking out that I lost it, several times a day. Better to have the backup on for me (mine is not silicone but some hard material, can't remember what, maybe wood, handmade from a market in Belize during the first trip where I didn't wear my ring to the ocean after the Barracuda incident). Even if it feels a bit different than my regular ring, I don't have the same "oh s*%t" moments that I was having when I tried to wear no band at all.

My husband also gained weight a few years after getting his metal wedding band and it didn't fit any more. He eventually settled on a silicone replacement which he ended up really liking. Before that, he had to take off the metal one in order to lift at the gym but found he could keep the silicone one on for that activity.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

We always wore our jewelry on vacation.  But, on a trip to Anguilla, my husband was in the ocean - not snorkeling - and his wedding ring fell off.  After that, I purchased Kohl's variety costume rings and leave the good stuff in the safe at home while on vacation.

I’ve never taken my rings off.  I think on our honeymoon cruise 24 years ago, I “turned” my ring, so the diamonds were more

concealed.  The only other cruise I did this on, was our Mediterranean one.  I never have even given it a thought on our other ones.  I guess I’d only worry about it now, if I was going to go snorkeling, and my rings were loose.

• Like 1

I bought a wedding set on Amazon specifically for vacations.  I wore it and loved it on Symphony in Nov. I also bring other jewelry... necklaces, bracelets, earrings etc that are not gold so as not to worry if I lose one.  

My engagement ring would be very hard to replace.  I remember I once thought that I lost it at a water park and I felt ill.   It was safe at home.   But I felt so stupid until I found it where it belongs at home.  I'm not a huge fan of the wedding ring, and it was precisely as a I wanted.   An eternity band that hurts a little sticking into my other fingers.  My college ring was stolen once in a hotel room, since then I've gotten in the habit of not taking any jewelry I'd mind losing.  

I do not take much jewelry on cruises. Mostly  nice Swarovski  pieces, but I wear my wedding ring and some other nice rings. Never had a problem.

I do snorkel extensively and swim, and do other active things.

While losing a piece of jewelry is a concern, do have your rings checked by a reputable jeweler on a regular basis.  My mother lost the main stone in her ring while washing floors.  Discovered the lost after she dumped and flushed the water down the toilet.  While in NYC, I looked down at my ring and discovered one of the prongs was missing and another was broken.  i was very lucky not to have lost the stone.

Mrs Ldubs has a "travel wedding ring".   It is actually a nice ring but does not have the potential loss value as her usual one.   Same for other jewelry.   

Sadly, the way things are happening, this approach is starting to be applied when going just about anywhere.  Not just expensive jewelry, but also designer handbags.  

8 hours ago, rudeney said:

I have a very nice Mercedes-Benz SL550, but I only drive my 2008 Toyota Corolla when I leave the house.

That reminds me.   When I was a teen we loved a really good German restaurant in Dallas.   A crappy area of Dallas.   We never drove mom's car there (the nice one).   Now, when we go to the Texas State Fair, we don't drive my beloved touring Cadillac, we drive the spare car, a 2000 PT Cruiser.  

I think the dividing line is how likely is something to happen to your jewelry on a cruise?   And where is your comfort level?  Me, I know hotel room safes aren't worthwhile.   I've never been on a cruise, but I've read it is super easy and quick to get someone else to open the safe if you forget your code.  So, I think they are about the same.  Someone who never takes their ring off, they'll be safe because the rings never leave the finger.  Me, I like to maximize my time in the water and I'd have them off except for dinner anyway.