What to do While Waiting on Your Cabin?

CozGurl

I just read the best tip on another thread about what to do while waiting for your cabin. 

The best thing I ever did after boarding was head to the bar and have a cocktail and unwind a few minutes. Then I left the hub sitting there to enjoy another cocktail while I switched some dining reservations. He hates doing stuff like that and I hate having him following along grumpily. 

What do you do the first couple of hours on the ship? 

• Haha 2

First thing we do is (on big ships) book entertainment. Main theater shows, comedy shows, for-fee shows, Canvas by u. Then fix our dining reservations around shows. Then go to main Dining g room for a relaxing served lunch. 

Since we pay taxes on drinks (although very small) until we leave port, so we have a couple of obligatory drinks until we get out to sea. 

Cocktail, explore the ship, lunch, relax, meet people. When rooms are ready before sailaway, unpack and get cameras ready for time/hyper lapse, go to Sail Away, and more cocktails. See what is for dinner at O'Sheehan's, buffet, and MDR to determine where to eat.

• Like 1

I wander the ship to get the "lay of the land", and figure out where things are.  I don't carry on anything I'm not comfortable carrying for a couple hours (usually just a small backpack that fits my camera and tablet).  If I'm on a ship I've been on before and I'm sailing with someone that hasn't been on the ship before, I give them a tour of the ship.

• Like 1

We wear our bathing suits on-board so we grab lunch, then grab some drinks and sit in/by the hot tub. Dinner reservations for specialty are usually made before we do online check in so once cabins are ready just drop what we walked onboard with and make a show reservation if it's one we want to see, then back to the hot tub (or walk around to get the lay of the land if it's not a ship we've been on before) until we sail away.  Within 2 hours at the hot tub we've already made friends with a few of the waiters on deck...by the next day on deck they call us by our names without seeing our card and have already figured out what we like to drink and how often to come by....all by taking just a few moments talking with them (asking them about them and where they are from and what they like the most about where they're from).

• Like 2

1.  Book Canvas by U

2.  Have a mudslide using my own metal straw

3.  Explore the ship a little, but I only travel with carry on luggage so this is whatever I can do with a small suitcase in tow

4.  Feel grateful to be on board

• Like 1

Just adding to what has already been said.

If you're part of a group and meeting up with them onboard and you're on a ship with an Observation Lounge, go there after sorting out reservations and completing muster requirement.

It's one of the best venues on any cruise ship, it's never crowded and it has a bar and some very nice snacks too.

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

First thing we do is (on big ships) book entertainment. Main theater shows, comedy shows, for-fee shows, Canvas by u. Then fix our dining reservations around shows.

When you get on the ship how do you know the entertainment schedule in advance?  I have always booking dining reservations but then disappointed when I get the daily the night before and realize we will miss a production show because of the timing of our dining reservation.  Our next cruise is 14 days and I want to get it right.  🙂

My wife has allergies so usually first stop is pre-order her dinner. Then if it is a ship we have been on before hit the spa for reservations(fyi first day is technically a port day so you can get discounts) and then hit the hot tub with drink in hand. If it is a new ship we enjoy the wander and explore.

We normally divide and conquer (at least pre-covid we did).  I would take the kids to Splash Academy and get them registered while my husband goes to the spa to book us our appointments for the week.  Then we usually have lunch in either Taste or Savor and by them our room is usually ready.  If not we walk around the ship to see what, if any, changes have been made.  If we are on a ship with a Waterfront, we will find a nice place to sit and relax.

I am big on pre-booking/pre-paying for everything I can in advance, so I usually don't have any trip chores to do once on board.  We eat some lunch and then do a ship tour, up and down stairs, get in as much activity while the ship is stationary as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CozGurl said:

"With new muster procedures go get scanned into system." 

What is the new muster procedure? 

Watch the video at home when presented (one of the 3 or 4 times it's presented, during check-in and 3 times in email leading up to the cruise), then follow the directions of staff as you board and they send you to your muster station to check in and hear a little bit extra from the crew there.  You're then free to explore the ship and start your vacation.

That's how it was on my March 19 cruise on the Joy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lisa928 said:

When you get on the ship how do you know the entertainment schedule in advance?  I have always booking dining reservations but then disappointed when I get the daily the night before and realize we will miss a production show because of the timing of our dining reservation.  Our next cruise is 14 days and I want to get it right.  🙂

The box office at the theater should have the schedule for the week (subject to change, or course...as with everything since Covid).  I *think* it might have the times listed on the app as well? 

I'm interested to know if there are other ways though.  The box office line on Day 1 is always long, and the app is not always updated until later.  Anyone have better tips?