Formal night dress?

MaryJulian

2 hours ago, sundaypeople5 said:

That wasn't very kind.  Yes, this voyage for us is to be magical...especially the formal nights.

But it is  not so for many others.  Yet some seem to think all must conform to their standards i  order to be magical.  WHY?

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 4:52 PM, majortom10 said:

It is the only downside to Princess the enforcement of the dress code and that is the main reason I dont often cruise anymore with Princess. On every Princess cruise I have been on there is a brass plaque at the entrance to all MDRs explaining formal dress code. It is a pity they dont adhere to it but unfortunately they dont and that is why I never wear a dinner suit or even a suit and tie when people think polo shirts and t-shirts is classified as formal dress. If Princess are not bothered about standards of dress on formal nights why not just make every night Smart Casual to save the confusion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

But it is  not so for many others.  Yet some seem to think all must conform to their standards i  order to be magical.  WHY?

Ours is always magical no matter how others care to dress.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, majortom10 said:

To be honest I wouldnt go my local pub for a meal dressed like that in the evening.

Looks like P&O Australia, formal wear. T shirts, shorts and flip flops.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just recently went our first Princess cruise, and was surprised at what we experience as far as formal dress.  There were some who dressed to the 9's, however many did not.  Our second formal night we were seated beside a couple who had on jeans and casual tops, (I felt awkward).  My husband made the decision to take suit jacket and pants and shirts and ties, and he did wear a couple of nights and looked nice.  Next cruise I will overrule his decision and eliminate some of the packing.  😉

2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Tom and Jo You both look GREAT!! 
Love Ya,

Tony

Thanx captain Tony. We had a wonderful time, especially after the past 18 plus months. Celebration was extra special just being back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Potstech said:

As is ours no matter how WE are dressed.

And that's the way it should be without forcing anyone to comply to a silly restriction for the enjoyment of others.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, voljeep said:

@MissP22 if you do post formal night pics ... please make them "unbiased and without a personal agenda"  as in people see what they want to see ...

At last nights formal dinner most of the crowd were dressed closely in line with Princess's suggested dress code. I wasn't able to shoot an unbiased photo of everyone. 

There was still no real strict enforcement of any dress code that I could see.

My DH wore his dress jeans & Polo without anything being said....which is the way it should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Ours is always magical no matter how others care to dress.

Us too. We have fun, the food tastes just as good, the Mediterranean, Alaska, British Isles, & all our destinations are just as beautiful, the ship is still beautiful, the staff is just as attentive even when the dining room, on formal night, is peppered with men wearing dockers & polo shirts. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Just recently went our first Princess cruise, and was surprised at what we experience as far as formal dress.  There were some who dressed to the 9's, however many did not.  Our second formal night we were seated beside a couple who had on jeans and casual tops, (I felt awkward).  My husband made the decision to take suit jacket and pants and shirts and ties, and he did wear a couple of nights and looked nice.  Next cruise I will overrule his decision and eliminate some of the packing.  😉

For many, the travel plan dictates the packing and formal night wear. For example, we leave California next week to travel to FLL for a 25 day cruise. Southwest Air to Denver for a 1 1/2 hour connection on American. If we check baggage, we have to leave security, go to baggage claim, get our baggage, check in and go back through security. During a Spring Break weekend. All that to dress formal. 

Edited by billco
  • Haha 1

7 day cruise should have 2 dress up nights.  They will not be the first or last night of the cruise.  They can be on port days usually with an early departure.  You will not know the nights until you get on the ship.  I do not know why Princess does not post it before departure.

Hmmm, no argument here … we dress a little more formally on formal nights because it seems appropriate.  Never shorts but that’s just us.  DH wears a black suit on the plane from NYC and loafers, which is what he wears when we have dinner in the City.  And then he has it for the whole trip.  But even NYC has become a lot more relaxed.  No more long dress for me, but a cocktail dress is nice. So, my advice, everyone should wear what they want.  Who cares, really?

• Like 2

We are happy to be back cruising.  Everyone has different likes and dislikes and want different things.  That is why there are so many cabin categories!  When we are able to drive to a port, we like bringing formal wear.  That is just a personal choice.  Looking forward to our B2B next week on Discovery!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billco said:

For many, the travel plan dictates the packing and formal night wear. For example, we leave California next week to travel to FLL for a 25 day cruise. Southwest Air to Denver for a 1 1/2 hour connection on American. If we check baggage, we have to leave security, go to baggage claim, get our baggage, check in and go back through security. During a Spring Break weekend. All that to dress formal. 

Totally agree, depending on if we are flying or driving to port will dictate what we pack for a cruise.  I guess as I’m getting older just don't want to have to go through all the trouble of formal wear and formal dress shoes. 😂

On 4/1/2022 at 10:56 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

Tips on What to Pack for a Cruise - Princess Cruises

---

FYI Princess currently still has more information on this topic, under "Clothing Recommendations":

---

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

Pre-Cruise FAQ: What To Pack for a Cruise

Items you may need to pack to make your time with Princess the best vacation ever!

Clothing Recommendations

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants, sundresses, will keep you feeling fresh and looking your best while at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining on board our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, trousers, blouses, and sweaters for women
  • Pants and collared shirts for men

Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men
Length of Cruise Number of Formal Evenings Number of Smart Casual Evenings
1-4 Days 0 1-4
5-6 Days 1 4-5
7-13 Days 2 5-11
14-20 Days 3 11-17
21-28 Days 4 17-24
29+ Days 5 minimum 24+

-----

Edited by RSS from SF

18 minutes ago, RSS from SF said:

---

FYI Princess currently still has more information on this topic, under "Clothing Recommendations":

---

Items you may need to pack to make your time with Princess the best vacation ever!

Clothing Recommendations

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants, sundresses, will keep you feeling fresh and looking your best while at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining on board our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

1-4 Days 0 1-4
5-6 Days 1 4-5
7-13 Days 2 5-11
14-20 Days 3 11-17
21-28 Days 4 17-24
29+ Days 5 minimum 24+

-----

Thanks, but I like the “recommendations” in my Princess link much better. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RSS from SF said:

---

---

Clothing Recommendations

Smart Casual

Formal

1-4 Days 0 1-4
5-6 Days 1 4-5
7-13 Days 2 5-11
14-20 Days 3 11-17
21-28 Days 4 17-24
29+ Days 5 minimum 24+

-----

Ahhh the often posted but hardly enforced Princess dress code.  What good is it if even Princess does not enforce it.  The venue has shown the standard and yet many post those that apparently no longer a apply. Those RECOMMENDATIONS  have not been put into effect for over 20 years.

56 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Ahhh the often posted but hardly enforced Princess dress code.  What good is it if even Princess does not enforce it.

---

At the very least it's been good for entertainment purposes. 😁

---

On 4/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, 13cheermom said:

In what region was that cruise?   Some are more relaxed than others.