The Daily for Thursday 03/31/2022

richwmn

@rafinmd  Roy, glad you were able to book your 4th shot.

We have been to Gibraltar five times, and sailed past at least twice.  Our first visit was in 2002 on Noordam III.  The other visits were on Prinsendam in 2008, 2016 and 2017, and our final time was on Veendam in 2019.

These pictures are from our 2004 visit.  In addition to going up on the rock, we also visited the Roman baths, but I couldn't find pictures of the baths.

Sailing in to the port

PICT0034.thumb.JPG.8a47c3d0ef0e4a5f520ffe6ddc314307.JPG

PICT0030.thumb.JPG.a8dbf37e96d2bc40e5fc0447b5f9ca82.JPG

Looking down at the airport

PICT0022.thumb.JPG.8909ce71e125870d8fbb07d75a48750d.JPG

The Noordam and P & O Oriana at the dock

PICT0004.thumb.JPG.e1fa41a369296c0aaa9974499f0fd88a.JPG

The main street and square in the walled cityPICT0003.thumb.JPG.39eaf78d6644c06ca421e76d307573e0.JPG

PICT0002.thumb.JPG.a5526214e82bf040379a97dc26b0ba67.JPG

These mext pictures are from 2008

IMG_3660.thumb.JPG.e212695c26b8fec91b54033353118925.JPG

IMG_3681.thumb.JPG.88e507bbd55d1599c9d8a9d4d90de78d.JPG

IMG_3689.thumb.JPG.5893356b8aca476ac73b6708c12c3d83.JPG

In 2016 we rode a city bus out to the lighthouse.

DSC07171.thumb.JPG.56c73fca93fa3dd9521c1403b85a5623.JPG

In 2017 and 2019, we were in Gibraltar on Sunday when most shops were closed and there were fewer tourists.  These are from 2017.

DSC00818.thumb.JPG.f29ee0ef1d58bda83fea683bc7b1ea2f.JPG

DSC00819.thumb.JPG.08c9ed51860aaf4e6cf6d9698c849370.JPG

DSC00821.thumb.JPG.f5fea06d7a8b0d27542f05f3c3323d9c.JPG

DSC00820.thumb.JPG.39bc46cbcda373106def40b6cd281c52.JPG

In 2019, the streets almost felt deserted.

A small chapel

DSC08240.thumb.JPG.585bb53dc7eec255f3684d6848028e87.JPG

DSC08241.thumb.JPG.1ad7e7580307c292d89bd0a98b1dded0.JPG

Uncrowded streets

DSC08235.thumb.JPG.4208e7c226f761118c645b2a316eb7fc.JPG

DSC08233.thumb.JPG.8f85fa82b07e1fa67af6fc5e774f2b7b.JPG

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just booked my 4th jab, Moderna after 3 Pfizer.  Not really in a rush but wanted to get it done, April 13 which will be about 6 1/2 months after my original booster.

Roy

Curious about your decision to try Moderna? Would you mind sharing?

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just booked my 4th jab, Moderna after 3 Pfizer.  Not really in a rush but wanted to get it done, April 13 which will be about 6 1/2 months after my original booster.

Roy

Well done 🙂. Love your new avatar 👍 

and thanks for the Johnny Cash words.  Hopefully I don’t have to wait that many years 😉 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, doing a quick check-in.  Many have spoken about migraines; I've suffered with them since I was a teenager - often stress will bring one on.  Last year DS was out shopping with his 5 year old when he thought he was having a stroke; his eyesight went blurry and wavy, and he had to sit down in the middle of a store.  They took an uber home and he proceeded to take one to the urgent care centre near their home - yep, an ocular migraine.  He had not had one before, and hasn't had one since, but if it does happen again, at least he'll know what it is.

I slept through this last night, but my friend posted this on her FB page.  She and her husband drove about 5 minutes outside the city around 1AM and this is what they enjoyed:

Northern.thumb.jpg.5223fb7c6cc2d054a11532bc473a6976.jpg

We stopped at Gibraltar during our last trans-Atlantic in 2019; it's nice to see some photos in the sunshine because when we were there it was a gloomy, windy, rainy day.  The thrill was not only enjoying the apes, but walking across the famous runway!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, doing a quick check-in.  Many have spoken about migraines; I've suffered with them since I was a teenager - often stress will bring one on.  Last year DS was out shopping with his 5 year old when he thought he was having a stroke; his eyesight went blurry and wavy, and he had to sit down in the middle of a store.  They took an uber home and he proceeded to take one to the urgent care centre near their home - yep, an ocular migraine.  He had not had one before, and hasn't had one since, but if it does happen again, at least he'll know what it is.

I slept through this last night, but my friend posted this on her FB page.  She and her husband drove about 5 minutes outside the city around 1AM and this is what they enjoyed:

We stopped at Gibraltar during our last trans-Atlantic in 2019; it's nice to see some photos in the sunshine because when we were there it was a gloomy, windy, rainy day.  The thrill was not only enjoying the apes, but walking across the famous runway!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Now THAT'S some northern lights!  Outstanding!

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Curious about your decision to try Moderna? Would you mind sharing?

Looks like another of my posts went poof.  This is the first time I've had a choice.  When I started it was very difficult to get an appointment and we had a blizzard coming.  My health department had a batch of vaccine that would expire before the roads cleared and put out a lot of slots at the last minute.  The US was not allowing mixed brands through my first booster.

I think both vaccines have their strong points.  I hope to get a bit of the benefits of both by switching.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Wow! I'd love to see the Northern Lights one day.

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like another of my posts went poof.  This is the first time I've had a choice.  When I started it was very difficult to get an appointment and we had a blizzard coming.  My health department had a batch of vaccine that would expire before the roads cleared and put out a lot of slots at the last minute.  The US was not allowing mixed brands through my first booster.

I think both vaccines have their strong points.  I hope to get a bit of the benefits of both by switching.

Roy

Will you get a full dose of the Moderna? I heard that this booster is a half dose.  I'm planning on discussing it with DH doctor next week as we've both had 3 Pfizer jabs to date.

Mary

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Will you get a full dose of the Moderna? I heard that this booster is a half dose.  I'm planning on discussing it with DH doctor next week as we've both had 3 Pfizer jabs to date.

Mary

I suspect it's a half dose.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

Mary

From what I read, the Pfizer booster is a full dose and the Moderna booster a half dose. I have had 4 Moderna shots. My 3rd one was full strength, as it was considered part of the original series for the immunocompromised. My 4th was considered a booster, so a half dose, although interestingly I had my strongest reaction to it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Rabbits, white rabbits the first words spoken this morning, on this the First day of April.  March seened to pass by  very quickly.

This morning in town to do some messages, while crossing a street, a man crossing in the opposite direction had a very bad cough, he was not wearing a mask,  people in front of me turned around to look at him.   Most people in the Mall were wearing masks.  Returned home after we had lunch.

It;s a cooler grey day, temperature 14 C

Thanks for all the reports today, have not been to Gibraltar, enjoyed the photos.

@cunnorl Happy Birthday to your DS.

@kazu hope you had a safe journey to the hospital, and that the roads do not freeze over.  You seem to have had very long winter.  Sending hugs to you and Jose.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14

Very late post from me today.  Many thanks to so many for wonderful birthday wishes.  At dinner last night with friends, they mentioned to the waitress that it was a "big " birthday for me!  The sweet young thing thought that maybe I was 50!!!!!!!!  We all laughed and just let her think that was what it was.  (Don't I wish??)

When we lived in Las Cruces, NM, I was taught how to make tamales by my lovely neighbor.  I have done it a couple of times, but it is a lot of work!  I just prefer going to the local place that makes their own tamales.  Bring them home and freeze in a usable quantity for one person.

Thanks to all who make this a wonderful, welcoming place.  Such a wonderful, diverse family that we can share the good with the not so good.  Prayers for all.

Good night to all, especially in earlier time zones.

Mary Kay

• Like 15

I finally sat down to rest.  Been working all day.  Thanks to all that posted photos of Gibraltar.  I am really looking forward to our visit there.  It gives me a good idea of what to expect.  We are doing it on our own so the photos are a big help.

Terri

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, bennybear said:

New territory for most of us.  DH just had a fourth Pfizer.  

Has Alberta rolled out a 4th dose schedule based on age?  We haven’t heard anything here yet. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Good picture Roy on your new Avatar.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1