Have cruised NCL and Celebrity primarily - will I be disappointed with Holland?

jenn117

Hello all!  I realize that is a very subjective question so let me specify...

I did one cruise with RC ions ago on Explorer of the Seas - so long ago that I can't even remember why it was just ok but not impressive to me.  Maybe it was the company, as it was with my ex-husband. 😜

I did one cruise with Carnival ions ago - also don't remember much detail other than that particular cruise was not my crowd or scene or impressive in any way, came away saying stick with RC.  Also could have been afore mentioned company at least a little bit.

I've done maybe five cruises with NCL and I was finally like - this is what I'm talking about!  A couple on Epic, one on Jade (which I thought was too small, not enough to do), one on the Getaway, and another on Bliss.  It seemed like the best of both worlds with a bit of family stuff yet still places you could hide from children.  A bit of partying but not people puking on you. Always something to do but could also find a quiet place to relax.  Food seemed better than I remembered from RC or Carnival.

Then I went on Celebrity Equinox with a friend (Feb 2020) and Celebrity Apex with my partner (Jan 2022).  Very impressed with the food and, at this point in my life as an empty nester, the lack of children running around. I knew it was the perfect cruise line for my current partner but I'd want something a little more active if I was doing a girl's trip (thought NCL would fit the ticket there).

So, I'm looking for opinions of fellow cruisers who have cruised on multiple of the same lines I have...and Holland of course, as I have no experience with that line. I will share that I haven't heard good things from fellow travelers when on cruises...and also from previous staff of Holland I met on a cruise, which says a lot for me.

For context, this cruise would be on the Zaandam out of Boston for a New England/Canada itinerary in August.  I've only done Caribbean thus far - with the exception of quite small, almost ferry type cruises to Nova Scotia and the Greek Isles from Athens.  A friend booked a Mom and daughter cruise and invited me and my daughter (same ages - 22) along. My friend only cruises Carnival (so far if I have anything to say about it), so I will be blunt and say I think her standards are pretty low for cruising. My daughter has also cruised NCL (only) and loved it.  She was underage then so is looking forward to "being able to drink and dance" on future cruises (but I will say based on the Carnival cruise I was on, that Carnival would even be a bit too much for her).  That doesn't sound like Holland based on reviews I've read but I'm trying to keep an open mind. This "music walk" feature sounds great if it is on Zaandam now. 

I am a pretty chill traveler that is not demanding because I'm on vacation after all - new places to see and things to do, free entertainment, four course meals (or any edible meals really) being cooked for me, being waited on instead of having to do stuff myself - what is there to be cranky about?  I've tried to instill the same travel philosophy in my children.

Sorry this turned into a novel...

If you like crowds, noise and mediocre service (unless you pay for premium accommodations and alternative meals) stick with NCL.  

HAL - especially on a small ship like Zaandam- is a different experience.   Good food and and service - at least on a par with Celebrity - and few crowds of noisy young people

• Like 1

If you found Jade boring, you will find Zaandam sedate. It's one of HAL's older and smaller ships. They may have some of the "music walk" features but not the full range. And if you'd want more activity than on Celebrity, I don't think you'll find it on a HAL cruise especially on that itinerary. Also not sure your daughter would find many others to enjoy a bit of late night "drinking and dancing".  I'm not saying it can't happen on HAL but -- given the ship and the itinerary -- I suspect the crowd will be more "early to bed and early to rise."

HAL food and service are generally good though. On a par with Celebrity and better than NCL.

Look elsewhere.

9 hours ago, jenn117 said:

A friend booked a Mom and daughter cruise and invited me and my daughter (same ages - 22) along. My friend only cruises Carnival (so far if I have anything to say about it), so I will be blunt and say I think her standards are pretty low for cruising. My daughter has also cruised NCL (only) and loved it.  She was underage then so is looking forward to "being able to drink and dance" on future cruises

I think the average age on HAL is a tad 😉 higher than 22 

JB 🙂

9 hours ago, jenn117 said:

I knew it was the perfect cruise line for my current partner but I'd want something a little more active if I was doing a girl's trip

Then Zaandam and HAL is not for you.

• Like 2

I used to be an avid fan of NCL, loved it.  Then they went to large ships and I switched to HAL.  You better stick with NCL if you like the large ships and the NCL experience. You will find HAL sedate and likely boring.   I actually took this particular cruise with NCL years ago out of Baltimore.  I am sure they still offer it except their large ships will only go to Quebec City.  If Montreal is a must it is easy to travel overland  between Montreal and Quebec City. 

(I grinned when you said someplace to stash the kids, for that cruise on HAL they likely will have been left at home.  I plan to take nieces on this cruise in 2024 for a family reunion but we will not sail with HAL)

Edited by Mary229