Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

19 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Interesting that so many crew are getting it. Is it because they are not masked among themselves?

Laura

I would believe that it is so virulent that they are catching it from passengers.    Last night in Luminae a fellow passenger was coughing  (possibly from swallowing some wine wrong).    He later blew his nose on his napkin and put it back on the table.  

Moments later the assistant waiter picked it up.    Just a reminder Wash, Wash, Wash.

• Thanks 4

19 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Or, maybe they are now sharing cabins.

I believe Deck 6 is now for passengers.

Yes.   Deck 6 is now fully populated with guests.   Also many new crew are joining at each port.   Many of the crew are again ending their contract in Southampton at the end of this cruise.  

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Leaving the park 

DBAE5650-00E5-4822-9083-C81A07A0BE31.thumb.jpeg.f1906bb2d49c704fed8f385cd1792e71.jpeg

Headquarters of Basque Health Department another architectural marvel 

2D99D680-BAD5-4A94-B9C9-3FABB0C74840.thumb.jpeg.30bb11047df761c5fa1fd8e407d70dc8.jpeg

Now of we go walking. 

38CD582C-80AC-463D-9AF3-85ACCEB650A9.thumb.jpeg.d7765697dc249ed75dc670fefbc0b74e.jpeg

Even the subway entrances are modern and real eye candy

AD898EC7-523B-4016-931F-81501C7E7F27.thumb.jpeg.de6f09c35b09f20480307be4fd543888.jpeg

2394A7EC-85BD-4C9B-98FD-B7E69CAB4C70.thumb.jpeg.cedbe9578c51802fbf6ba03fff34bb12.jpeg

Love how the modern and the old live in perfect harmony.  What a beautiful city

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Enjoy the rest of your trip and by the way we have a Transporter Bridge in the north of England not guiet as spectacular a structure as the one in Bilbao but the same principle.

3 in UK actually Geoff.

I have been on the Newport one ( being brought up in Cardiff, Wales).

Also the one in Duluth when visiting my sister who lived in Canada and the one in Germany when visiting friends who we met through my husband’s choir.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transporter_bridge

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

3 in UK actually Geoff.

I have been on the Newport one ( being brought up in Wales).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transporter_bridge

We were talking about Wales today, as my niece is on a school program in London and is heading to Wales this weekend.  My sister and went there once, got there (this was a very long time ago - in the 70s I think) early Saturday afternoon.  We realized we had travelers checks and US money, and nothing was open to change money.  I think we went to Cardiff Castle, looked around, and took a train back to London since we had no money which we could have used for a hotel.

Our parents were surprised to see us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Love how the modern and the old live in perfect harmony.  What a beautiful city

It is now one of my favorite cities.     There is so much to see and do and the locals show such pride in their community.  

• Like 4

Jim, as someone who found wearing a mask on Silhouette for a staycation cruise last September no issue at all I am beginning to wish they would reintroduce them. I think even the mentality of ‘pick up your mask’ as you leave the room reminds you to gell too and observe some social distancing as you head between venues. 

I know lots of people are anti mask but the only way to at least partially control this virus on board is if everyone does their bit…

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would believe that it is so virulent that they are catching it from passengers.    Last night in Luminae a fellow passenger was coughing  (possibly from swallowing some wine wrong).    He later blew his nose on his napkin and put it back on the table.  

Moments later the assistant waiter picked it up.    Just a reminder Wash, Wash, Wash.

Yuk….

Really enjoying continuing to follow your adventures. Stay safe…

• Like 7

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Jim, as someone who found wearing a mask on Silhouette for a staycation cruise last September no issue at all I am beginning to wish they would reintroduce them. I think even the mentality of ‘pick up your mask’ as you leave the room reminds you to gell too and observe some social distancing as you head between venues. 

I know lots of people are anti mask but the only way to at least partially control this virus on board is if everyone does their bit…

Yuk….

Really enjoying continuing to follow your adventures. Stay safe…

Thanks.    I can only encourage other's to wear mask, wash and sanitize.   Everyday the Captain George has announced more cases on board.    As he does so I see more and more people wearing mask.   I was pleasantly pleased to see how many Bilbao locals wearing masks in their daily life.  

I respect other's choices but even if only a 1-3% chance of contracting on the ship I would prefer not to spend the rest of my vacation on deck 3 in a prison cell.   @jetblue diary of conditions and lasck of service are still a strong reminders to me and others. 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.    I can only encourage other's to wear mask, wash and sanitize.   Everyday the Captain George has announced more cases on board.    As he does so I see more and more people wearing mask.   I was pleasantly pleased to see how many Bilbao locals wearing masks in their daily life.  

I respect other's choices but even if only a 1-3% chance of contracting on the ship I would prefer not to spend the rest of my vacation on deck 3 in a prison cell.   @jetblue diary of conditions and lasck of service are still a strong reminders to me and others. 

Agree…jetblue’s post left many of us concerned. Firstly the deck 3 cabin, then the lack of support and communication. Many guests have deliberately booked balcony rooms or above (even if they are usually happy with OV or inside cabins) simply to ensure that in the scenario of getting covid on board they would at least be able to get some fresh air. Seems very wrong to me.

I do wonder if many of those who are anti mask simply do not realise how unrestrictive the rules are? We never found wearing one moving inside the ship an issue. It is air conditioned so you don’t feel overheated. Once you sit at a restaurant or bar you can take it off. Outside you don’t need to wear it although we did when walkways were more busy…

If numbers getting covid on board continue to rise and if Celebrity make no effort to control them I can see many people cancelling/rescheduling cruises over the next few months. Many who had booked the Baltic cruises with St. Petersburg as the highlight are now on a cruise which they see as less desirable (although they fully understand the reasons) and could decide the cost and risk factors make it simply ‘not worth it’. As on these cruises the weather can range from glorious to horrendous the thought on being kept inside, due to bad weather, with a full passenger count and high covid numbers makes it even less desirable.

We are fortunate that our next cruise isn’t until October so we have some monitoring time….

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the photos of Bilbao @Jim_Iain brought back a lot of memories. We were unable to join you on this trip due to a positive covid test but feel fortunate we are at home and not Deck 3!

We spent a week in Bilbao in 2018 when the world was simpler and loved it. Definitely one of our favourite cities!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last night in Luminae a fellow passenger was coughing  (possibly from swallowing some wine wrong).    He later blew his nose on his napkin and put it back on the table.  

Absolutely appalling behaviour, irrespective of Covid!  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

Hi Jim,

You kindly confirmed Ms Perloff's email address and in answer to my message I had a phone call from Zoe (don't know if she is your contact in that office) yesterday evening who confirmed the following:

1) it is Celebrity's policy across the fleet that all guests who test positive for Covid will be isolated on Deck 3 as it's the nearest deck to the Medical Facilities.

2) Giving out numbers like less than 1% or more than 1% is pointless. They should be giving accurate figures in a consistent way across the whole fleet. She will contact the department concerned so it will be interesting to see if anything changes.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and by the way we have a Transporter Bridge in the north of England not guiet as spectacular a structure as the one in Bilbao but the same principle. Geoff.

I also contacted that office! agree that 1% means nothing Also, why are masks required in the terminal but only by staff on board? I am not at all happy about covid on board, so I have cancelled our May 7th sailing, not worth my risk and health! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Agree…jetblue’s post left many of us concerned. Firstly the deck 3 cabin, then the lack of support and communication. Many guests have deliberately booked balcony rooms or above (even if they are usually happy with OV or inside cabins) simply to ensure that in the scenario of getting covid on board they would at least be able to get some fresh air. Seems very wrong to me.

I do wonder if many of those who are anti mask simply do not realise how unrestrictive the rules are? We never found wearing one moving inside the ship an issue. It is air conditioned so you don’t feel overheated. Once you sit at a restaurant or bar you can take it off. Outside you don’t need to wear it although we did when walkways were more busy…

If numbers getting covid on board continue to rise and if Celebrity make no effort to control them I can see many people cancelling/rescheduling cruises over the next few months. Many who had booked the Baltic cruises with St. Petersburg as the highlight are now on a cruise which they see as less desirable (although they fully understand the reasons) and could decide the cost and risk factors make it simply ‘not worth it’. As on these cruises the weather can range from glorious to horrendous the thought on being kept inside, due to bad weather, with a full passenger count and high covid numbers makes it even less desirable.

We are fortunate that our next cruise isn’t until October so we have some monitoring time….

Well said !! that's why I have cancelled our May sailing on Silhouette .

• Like 1

Wow.  Your photos of Bilbao were amazing!  Brought back wonderful memories of this wonderful city.  I think you did more in one day than we did in two. 

We were on the Apex on the Jan 29th sailing.  Mask mandate were still in effect.  No cases on that sailing.  

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

I really don't think that it is a matter of being a anti-masker but in the UK and much of Europe mask mandates have been eliminated and made optional.    I believe many feel just as safe as at home and don't realize the impact it may have on their vacation.    We were chatting with a nice couple in Retreat the other day and they were shocked to learn that they would have to move out of their SS with a Veranda if infected.   They like many just assumed they would have to quarantine in their nice SS.    They have been wearing masks since.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alushar said:

Thanks for all the photos of Bilbao @Jim_Iain brought back a lot of memories. We were unable to join you on this trip due to a positive covid test but feel fortunate we are at home and not Deck 3!

We spent a week in Bilbao in 2018 when the world was simpler and loved it. Definitely one of our favourite cities!

Sorry you had to cancel the trip.   We went into a almost total quarantine 3 weeks prior to the cruise.   I had been working my son almost daily for 3 months on his new home and advised him that we were going on lock down at that time.    His whole family had come down with it about 2 weeks prior and I had been keeping my distance.   

Look forward to seeing the Grand-kids when we get home. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Love reading your posts and keep the food pictures coming! 

Haven't been posting many foodie pictures as of late as the menus are on rotation.   I did have a desert that I had never had before last night and will post later.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vickykay said:

Wow.  Your photos of Bilbao were amazing!  Brought back wonderful memories of this wonderful city.  I think you did more in one day than we did in two. 

We were on the Apex on the Jan 29th sailing.  Mask mandate were still in effect.  No cases on that sailing.  

Believe me I felt like we did two days of tours in one.   At first I thought it was expensive at about $700 but in retrospect it was a deal as it included the SUV, Tickets to Guggenheim,  tolls and Suspension Bridge crossing for the call and all of us.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I really don't think that it is a matter of being a anti-masker but in the UK and much of Europe mask mandates have been eliminated and made optional.    I believe many feel just as safe as at home and don't realize the impact it may have on their vacation.    We were chatting with a nice couple in Retreat the other day and they were shocked to learn that they would have to move out of their SS with a Veranda if infected.   They like many just assumed they would have to quarantine in their nice SS.    They have been wearing masks since.

Yes, not everyone reads CC…I can see being moved to deck 3 being a real shock if you haven’t been following updates. Of concern to all must be that some guests may ‘suspect’ they are positive but choose not to report because of the negative consequence of being moved to deck 3. They may decide to just put up with feeling a bit ‘off’, maybe spend a day or so in bed with room service and then frequent restaurants and bars again minus a mask and minus a conscience for the well-being of others. Not a good strategy. Celebrity needs to be encouraging guests who feel unwell to report and to isolate.

Re mask wearing in the UK it is very much a mix. We are still wearing ours when out shopping. I understand and respect that others may choose not to but I do wish they would then respect the social distancing of those of us who obviously still have concerns and are clearly showing this by our mask wearing! Really annoying when a fellow shopper comes into really close proximity maskless….

1 hour ago, jono mono said:

Well said !! that's why I have cancelled our May sailing on Silhouette .

So sorry you have felt the need to cancel your May sailing but totally understand. Hope you have managed to switch to something good in the not too distant future…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SSAtlantic said:

Does anyone know what Celebrity is doing to assist those guests that are isolated on Deck 3 and are smokers? Friends traveling with us are concerned about this. 

That's a good question.   I'll see what I can find out.    Since Iain's one of THOSE I can just imagine what he would be like going through withdrawal... LOL

All I can say is I quite Cigarettes and Coffee on the same day.   I think the withdrawal from coffee affected me the most and I couldn't handle anything.   I use to teach a University class on understanding addictive behavior.    One day I scratched my head and said ---- hmmmm maybe I should try what I teach.   LOL 

Guess it worked -  and very simple -  Don't have the first.  . . Ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, indy406 said:

Thanks for your posts, guys. I'm sorry if I missed it, but does Celebrity offer compensation (refund or future cruise credit) if they lock you up on Deck 3 for several days? 

It is reported that they issue a FCC equivalent to the daily rate you paid for the number of days in isolation.   Most bookings now qualify for then to also pay for hotels and meals if isolated on land at the end of the cruise, but I think that is soon to end.

By the way.   If put on deck 3 you are in Jail until the end of the cruise even once you test negative.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is wrong in so many ways. Gross!

• Like 1