Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

•   Jim

I am so sorry. I had been looking forward to meeting you and alas that is not to be this time. I do hope you and Iain are well and wish you a speedy recovery. 

Do you need to isolate once you have disembarked? I didn't think there was a legal requirement here in the UK just voluntry and more a matter of courtsey and common sense. 

I had planned to do a live from here on CC but having followed yours for the last few weeks thought I would leave it as yours seemed to cover it all.... I might re think that now and carry on the mantle.

Best wishes for a speedy and sympton free recovery for the two of you and enjoy Scotland

5 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I'm very sorry to hear your news Jim.  I hope you continue to feel okay and that Iain is okay too.

Interesting info about the Red Zone.  Earlier in the week someone posted that they were being isolated in their own cabin (Deck 10, I think it was), which could indicated the Red Zone was full then as you've been told it is today.  However, someone on FB (Celebrity Silhouette group) has posted that they and their wife tested positive yesterday and have been moved to the Deck 3 Red Zone.  I'm just wondering how space became available yesterday, has there been enough time on this cruise for someone to complete their quarantine and be released?

Other alternatives:

A passenger has been moved off the ship.

X held a disabled cabin in reserve and have now used it.

X can't count

2 minutes ago, groryjm said:

I had planned to do a live from here on CC but having followed yours for the last few weeks thought I would leave it as yours seemed to cover it all.... I might re think that now and carry on the mantle.

Please do!  Iain has done an excellent job and I was looking forward to the next cruise as I'm doing the Fjords on the Silly later in the year but I know that you also do good trip reports, so that would be much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Oh well.   S--T happens.    I just told Iain maybe I need to book another cruise for next year.   We are on the Apex TA and were planning on spending a week in Amsterdam before the UK Ireland cruise.   The reason for spending a week in Amsterdam was that the next cruise in Norway and would have been a repeat. 

So sorry to see those results! We have enjoyed following your adventures. Sounds like that Apex journey may be a B3B now! 

What will this mean regarding your visit to Scotland to visit Iain’s family?

mac_tlc

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well just received my resultsimage.png.ba69906df05ff0c9368ecf8a346f2623.png

Yikes -  It has been an 1 1/2 hour since the test and no telephone call or contact at this point.   Iain was just looking out the peep hole and I asked are their prison guards out there.

More as this unravels - 

By the way I feel perfectly normal, temperature 97.8 (my normal) Oxygen Saturation 99 

Jim, I am so sorry about your news and, I am sure, the disappointment that comes with such a big change of plan! I really hope you and Lain will not suffer any severe symptoms! 

On my selfish side, I enjoyed your review so much, I will really miss the continued review for what was supposed to be the B3, of your travel plans.

I wish you and Lain a safe an uncomplicated return home!

P.s. We're booked and hope to be on Silhouette on June 9.... My wife and I, as well as other members in my family, have just tested positive for Covid to yesterday. So far, only mild symptoms are experienced, even for our unvaccinated 17 months old grand child.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

In the UK there is no legal requirement for you to quarantine. Advised yes, legally obliged no.

I thought I had heard that but wanted someone to confirm.  Since many are usually trying to fly home which requires a waiting period I’d think Celebrity would be prepared to provide hotel accommodations etc.  

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain is negative and both of us are asymptomatic     

Not even sniffles or temperature. 

Hoping things stay that way, too!  I assume if you stay perky we will get some commentary about the process you find yourself in.  In the Caribbean they were repatriating people which is not what you had planned, for sure.  

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

Jim, just heartbroken for you both…

Pleased you can at least stay in your suite for the last day. Hope you don’t start feeling ill. For those of us who have thought ‘As long as we are careful we will be OK’ it is a reminder how cunning this virus is…

Keep us in touch about what happens next…

Yes we can stay and shhhhh... being told Iain can use the Guest Bathroom to smoke. 

It is a bit chaotic and the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left is doing. 

I tried to call guest relations to find out about what time we can expect to depart the ship tomorrow.  The phone rung unanswered for 20 minutes.     I had asked Danial, The Retreat Manager, a question about Iain being able to smoke and after 2 hours no answer.   I called him again to ask for the Retreat Concierges phone number and he asked if he could help.    I said I was reticent to ask him as he never answered my last question.   BAM..    He apologized and said Iain could smoke on the balcony or in the bathrooms.   He would have a n ashtray sent to the room.   Never showed up.

At least we have China, Crystal and Silverware in our room so enjoying ourselves.    Maybe a plunge in the outside jetted tub will help me feel pampered.      At least we are on Starboard and facing the harbor for privacy.     It's a chilly windy day today at about 54F and 25 mph winds so may have to go for the tub in the bathroom.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes we can stay and shhhhh... being told Iain can use the Guest Bathroom to smoke. 

It is a bit chaotic and the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left is doing. 

I tried to call guest relations to find out about what time we can expect to depart the ship tomorrow.  The phone rung unanswered for 20 minutes.     I had asked Danial, The Retreat Manager, a question about Iain being able to smoke and after 2 hours no answer.   I called him again to ask for the Retreat Concierges phone number and he asked if he could help.    I said I was reticent to ask him as he never answered my last question.   BAM..    He apologized and said Iain could smoke on the balcony or in the bathrooms.   He would have a n ashtray sent to the room.   Never showed up.

At least we have China, Crystal and Silverware in our room so enjoying ourselves.    Maybe a plunge in the outside jetted tub will help me feel pampered.      At least we are on Starboard and facing the harbor for privacy.     It's a chilly windy day today at about 54F and 25 mph winds so may have to go for the tub in the bathroom.

Might as well ask for bubble bath too🙄😇

I just have an image of bubbles on the balcony area!  But with those winds you’d probably need a coat! 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Jim, are you ‘on your own’ to make arrangements as this cruise ends or are Celebrity obliged to make some arrangements for you? 

Either or.   Option  Option 2 - Celebrity will help book you in a hotel and arrange a car to transport you.

Option 2 -  You can book on your own and Celebrity will reimburse up to $250 per night and $100 pp per night for food.

I am one of those that feel more comfortable making my own plans instead of depending on Celebrity.   After seeing how people are being treated (FB and other Social Networks).   I think I made the right decision. 

I got an AirBnb and looks comfortable -

image 6 of 31

image 7 of 31

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Though a false positive still negates your next cruise,does it eliminate the need to quarantine on shore?  

We were advised that UK “Suggests” you self isolate for 3 days.  There are no “Legal” requirement that you do so.  

We have respect for others and will isolate and test before we go out.  Yea wish fellow passengers had done the same. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

In the UK there is no legal requirement for you to quarantine. Advised yes, legally obliged no.

All I have been saying when I researched that was WOW.   

I explains the attitude of those aboard. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. And worried about my Hawaii to Vancouver next week. You both were so careful and it still happened. There is no way I can get my husband to be as careful, so i am worried about what is in our future!

Hope you both stay well!

• Like 2

This and the other posts here indicate positive Covid on board is most likely far more prevalent than most assumed. This is why my 8/8 Rome cruise is very tenuous with that required test to return home. Floating around Italy snd Greece is dubious at this time especially as Jim is far better at protecting himself than me! I was lucky on our 3/26 Reflection cruise, saw and heard of no Covid anywhere. Time to wait until Feb 2023 my brain says. 

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

So sorry to see those results! We have enjoyed following your adventures. Sounds like that Apex journey may be a B3B now! 

What will this mean regarding your visit to Scotland to visit Iain’s family?

mac_tlc

I may have to cancel the first Caribbean cruise or would be a b4b.

I presume they issue a FCC for the Norway or possibly I can move it to next year.    Having said that - it was the last cruise I had with my EX Travel Agent --- she has been a nightmare that I'm glad is coming to an end.

Maybe I should start a thread on the site with initials FB for Bad TA references.  A private group for sure.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just received a phone call from the Doctor at 0900   testing being at 0700.

We will be retested but is of no consequence.    Even if it is False Positive we will not be permitted to continue onto the Norwegian Fjords Cruise.

She asked the following -

Vaccination Dates and type of vaccine

Names of party we are traveling with

Do you have any sympthoms

Do you have any medical conditions like heart or breathing difficulties

Are you allergic to anything.

She then said -   Unfortunately we are out of isolation rooms in the RED ZONE so you will have to remain in your cabin.    That's the only ray of sunshine.     At least it will be just one day but will be interesting to see what happens next.

Maybe I missed it, but in case of False Positive why are you not permitted to continue onto your next cruise? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Please do!  Iain has done an excellent job and I was looking forward to the next cruise as I'm doing the Fjords on the Silly later in the year but I know that you also do good trip reports, so that would be much appreciated.

Please do Grab the Baton -   So many on CC will love to follow along.   These Blogs are how we all stay informed and survive restarting cruising.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, nast said:

Maybe I missed it, but in case of False Positive why are you not permitted to continue onto your next cruise? 

That's the rule -   even if prior to the end of the cruise,  you are isolated for the remainder  of the cruise. 

Oh, so sorry to get up this morning, looking forward to reading about your adventures, and find this terrible news.  I’m so sad for you both,  this is twice Covid has directly destroyed your active cruise plans.  

It just seems impossible to do enough to guarantee avoiding this thing unless you just sit in your own home all day every day with the doors and windows closed and a protective bubble over your head.  The blessed fact that you have no symptoms is the reason it is so sneaky....unless you test every single day there have to be lots of people walking around totally oblivious that they have it, just like you.  how in the world do you police something like that?

I wish we could be more realistic about this thing.  “Experts” state that it is like the flu.  Some people will get it every year.  Some people won’t get it at all.  A very few will die from it, like the flu,  Most people will take the immunizations for it and will get lesser cases, if at all.  Life goes on.  We live with it and deal with it.  It’s time for policy to catch up with the science, IMO.  I realize that the cruise industry has no choice but to follow the demands of the CDC but enough already.

Joanie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's really funny having the day to catch up and play on my PC which I have a tendency to do.   I noticed that the  Video I posted below ( accidentally posted it twice on my Youtube Channel)  has had over 5,000 hits.  I wonder how so may found it 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well just received my resultsimage.png.ba69906df05ff0c9368ecf8a346f2623.png

Yikes -  It has been an 1 1/2 hour since the test and no telephone call or contact at this point.   Iain was just looking out the peep hole and I asked are their prison guards out there.

More as this unravels - 

By the way I feel perfectly normal, temperature 97.8 (my normal) Oxygen Saturation 99 

Oh no!!

• Thanks 1