Onboard Medical costs question

Has anyone used the onboard medical facilities and if so how long after your cruise until you received your bill?  My wife tripped and fell on the first night of our cruise and broke her right hand.  She had to have xrays, pain meds, got her hand put in a full length splint etc. I took out trip insurance so paying it should not be an issue but I figured that we would see the bill upon disembarkation. Granted, where she tripped should have been marked with either high visibility paint or warning tape so maybe they aren't sending me a bill in fear of a lawsuit. 

I thought on the ship, like many medical places, it is customary to pay at time of service?  Payment terms would have been discussed on the ship.  Now, if you don't get an invoice, because of an accident, I would not even be asking about it for fear of someone notices a mistake.

• Like 2

A few years ago we used the med center for something that needed antibiotics, we got charged right away.  On the level of an urgent care clinic, I think it was less than $200 back then.  They billed us immediately.

If you get charged, you likely have to go through your personal insurance before the travel pays.  The ship charges are almost always out of network and subject to that sort of deductible.  And your credit card might pick up some too.  There can be a lot of paperwork but just file as they tell you to and eventually it gets paid by the travel policy.

If you get injured on the ship, Royal has been known to waive the medical facility charges. 

My wife broke her ankle while ashore in Cozumel. We were billed for many (but not all) of her visits to the ships medical immediately to our on board account.  Our insurance covered everything except a small deductible.

• Like 3

I fell on a ship and broke my arm.  The ship's doctor ordered x-rays etc and I was never charged for the medical treatments I had on the ship.  I also had insurance, so if I had been charged, I would have been reimbursed.

On the other hand, I developed gout on my cruise last Nov.  When I went to medical to get some meds, I was told before seeing the doctor that the charge was $145 or something around that to just see the doctor.  I did see him and got the meds.  My total bill was $164. It was charged to my account onboard.

I had insurance that would cover the visit, but I didn't get anything from the medical department that I could use to collect from the insurance.  On the last night of the cruise, I called to the medical department and they did send someone to my cabin with a bill showing it was paid.

I submitted it to my insurance when I returned home and was paid within a couple of weeks.

• Like 4

I had 90 minutes of critical care last month aboard Jewel, and they immediately billed my sea pass card. 

Total cost was $2200. 

I received excellent, life saving care from the ship medical center. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I injured myself during a water volleyball competition and had x-rays on my hand. As soon as I said it was done during an organized activity on the ship they waived all charges. I was not charged anything at all. Seems like you might be in a similar situation. 

• Like 2

Echoing everyone else. I got accidentally shoved to the ground during quest and sprained my ankle bad (it was twice the normal size by the time I got back to my seat). No charges, but if they're going to charge you it'll be before you get off the ship. 

They have an officer that speaks to you, but it seems like as long as you weren't purposefully doing something that would injure you they don't charge you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Subman738 said:

Has anyone used the onboard medical facilities and if so how long after your cruise until you received your bill?  My wife tripped and fell on the first night of our cruise and broke her right hand.  She had to have xrays, pain meds, got her hand put in a full length splint etc. I took out trip insurance so paying it should not be an issue but I figured that we would see the bill upon disembarkation. Granted, where she tripped should have been marked with either high visibility paint or warning tape so maybe they aren't sending me a bill in fear of a lawsuit. 

Doesn't exactly apply to your situation but may help some.  I had to use medical on RCCL back in 2018 for a flu diagnosis on our TA from Civitavecchia.  We paid upfront the fee and were submitted a bill a few days later as this was day 6 of a transatlantic.  We of course did not have trip insurance but were able to be compensated 100% by our insurance carrier.  Yes, I know this isn't everyone.  Husband has terrific medical.

Edited by jean87510

Just another data point.

My mother had an issue onboard that had her taken to the med center, then removed from the ship (we were still at the dock, almost ready to leave) to be taken to the hospital.  The bill had to be paid before she was allowed to leave.

It was nothing the could be pointed to RCI about.

I tripped on bad flooring (that they knew had to be replaced) and broke my foot on first night of 7 night cruise.  They covered all expenses, and gave me use of crutches and a wheel chair for rest of the cruise.  They also made sure to send a lot of ice to my cabin twice a day for icing it down and pain killers.  

I am also one that understands that you pay up front in other cases.  I did not have to do that....thus message to OP:  You won't receive a bill.  

I had an anaphylactic reaction in the main dining room on the first night of a 4-night Carnival cruise. Could feel my asthma get triggered and my chest tighten up. Kept clearing my throat and started to get dizzy.

Husband epi'ed me once we determined that one of my suspected (although never previously confirmed) allergens was in the soup. As of that moment, it was no longer merely a suspected allergen.

I was sent to ship's medical facilities, where they monitored my vitals for a while and then eventually released me. Told my husband he did a good job in epi'ing relatively quickly.

Never got a bill, but I suspect that's because they were worried I might sue. (And after that night, a chef always came to our table to discuss the menu with me.)

Edited by DukeASUGirl

We've used the medical facilities twice...

1) DD cut her head doing a flip into the pool (yes, I shouldn't have let her) on the first night.  Ended requiring stitches and a couple of "check in visits" throughout the cruise.  No charge.

2) I sprained my knee during a volleyball game.  Xrays, crutches, and a cane.  I was at first told "no charge", then a charge appeared on my seapass, so I questioned it and got it removed.  

Two different cruises FWIW.

If you ever get a medical bill away from home that you plan to submit to your insurer i was told by our insurer to get a copy of treatment notes in case bill only has codes which differ from codes customarily used.

• Like 2

Admit it has been several years. I visited Medical twice while on the Harmony. Was billed on my normal account.

Charges were paid by insurance.

Do want to say Medical care was excellent.

I think when you get injured on a royal caribbean ship they offer medical treatment to you at no charge, I was injured on the abyss slide on the Symphony a few years ago, the mat that you slide down the slide on mine flipped to the side and I slid down 10 stories on my arm. My arm was severly burned and I still have the scar. I was sent to the medical facilities and they gave me treatment and antibiotics and dressed my wound and made me come back the next day to check my wound for infection, Afterwards, I received a call from guest services asking me was I okay and I would not be charged for my care and they also offered me a cruise credit. Unless you sustain horrific injury or death on a cruise, Ive heard it is hard to sucessfully win a lawsuit against a cruise line. Thats the reason I always buy travel insurance because you just never know what could happen.

My 5 year daughter slipped at the pool deck on the Mariner just this past December. Had an X-ray on her hand and they monitored her for a few days for a concussion. Never saw a bill and no ever mentioned it again. 🤷 

On 4/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, DerekB said:

I injured myself during a water volleyball competition and had x-rays on my hand. As soon as I said it was done during an organized activity on the ship they waived all charges. I was not charged anything at all. Seems like you might be in a similar situation. 

That may well be and that is well and good. Since the area around where my wife tripped is not very well marked I think that they may be concerned about possible lawsuit. I got some pics from the area from someone on the current cruise and they show that the situation is still the same.