Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I don't see a t-shirt in this photo. I see a light sweater shirt and a polo-style shirt. Both of which would be acceptable in the dining venues and that I have seen many wear (including myself and my spouse).

The photo was an example of what I meant about jeans and a light pullover sweater (Both courtesy of Zara). 

I think the issue is also the one of context. Wearing a graphic T that says I'm with Stupid paired with faded and raggy jeans is not going to cut it. But a nice dark wash pair of jeans, T shirt and Overshirt/sweater and that's a nice outfit. And no one can call that dressing up. Some guys get so hung up about wearing decent clothes it borders on infantile behavior. And I'm not even talking about dress clothes. And while we're at it, I understand there's all kinds of people that live in all different locations both rural and urban. But when a grown man says they don't own even one pair of long pants but yet will spend money to go on a cruise  but won't buy a pair of pants to wear there's something wrong with that. 

cn28280643.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Agree. This was a politely worded question that basically said I know the rules but what can I get away with. 

Or you could view it as, I know the letter of the law, but what is common practice?

• Like 2

Thank you for all of the polite responses.  I appreciate your factual answers based on your experience- not your opinion.

And as for the opinions intended to offend, I hope you enjoyed your moment.  I never said anything about wearing shorts or caps,  and I would not put an employee in the uncomfortable position of having to turn someone away- hence the question about actual procedure. 

Thanks again to those who answered to help!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, budmeister said:

Thank you for all of the polite responses.  I appreciate your factual answers based on your experience- not your opinion.

And as for the opinions intended to offend, I hope you enjoyed your moment.  I never said anything about wearing shorts or caps,  and I would not put an employee in the uncomfortable position of having to turn someone away- hence the question about actual procedure. 

“I hope you enjoyed your moment.”

Ouch.

You have been here a while.  I can see that.  Long enough to know that you usually get a mix of responses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Black leather Birkenstocks with black socks - absolutely anyplace from the finest 4 Star restaurants worldwide.  They look like shoes.  Would I wear my white summer ones?  Absolutely not.  As I said common sense. 

T-shirts, no.  Ripped or jeans of any kind?  Maybe a new pair of cords or black ones.

PS, having a foot issue that make closed toed shoes impossible makes my decision simple and I do wear a collared shirt, sport coat and sometimes even a tie.

My mom had severe foot issues and we did the exact same thing. Black socks with black Birks…no one noticed as she was dressed appropriately in every other aspect. She was treated like a queen by wait staff who called her “little Momma.” Great memories!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, budmeister said:

Who cares how you dress, really, that is my opinion and my experience.  You asked a question, with specific parameters frankly, got some responses you did not like, then you come and go blah blah blah.  Just dress how YOU want, not how anyone here thinks you should or should not, they turn you away oh well, you will know what is acceptable at that time.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:20 PM, budmeister said:

Hi,

If we wear clean, non-ripped pants and t-shirts, will we be turned away from specialty restaurants for dinner? No matter what night it is? We are a quiet couple, keep to ourselves, and really hate to pack for and dress up for dinner. We have never had a problem on our other cruise line, but I would hate to be unpleasantly surprised at being denied dinner at the restaurants of our choice on our cruise. 

Thank for for your experienced answers, even if you do not approve! 🙂

T shirts not ok. I have seen people asked to put a collared shirt on in the evenings. I am certain the enforcement of dress changes from ship to ship so people will have had varied experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

T shirts not ok. I have seen people asked to put a collared shirt on in the evenings. I am certain the enforcement of dress changes from ship to ship so people will have had varied experiences.

Suit and T-shirt Season Is Officially Here | GQ

so wearing this would be a no?     

now if I looked like him they would likely let me in 🐵

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I’ve worn and will wear shorts, not been turned away yet

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’ve worn and will wear shorts, not been turned away yet

You must have better looking legs.

Besides, I'd go broke handing out sunglasses if I wore shorts to dinner, especially during the Winter and early Spring cruises!

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

Suit and T-shirt Season Is Officially Here | GQ

so wearing this would be a no?     

now if I looked like him they would likely let me in 🐵

If ALL the men on the ship looked like him, he could most likely dress and do whatever he wanted wherever he wanted!!!!!!!

Edited by Loracpin2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

If ALL the men on the ship looked like him, he could most likely dress and do whatever he wanted wherever he wanted!!!!!!!

Umm.  I sure hope so.  Does he have a boyfriend?  Asking for a friend.  🙂

To stay on topic, I think he would have no trouble with the dress code.

19 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Especially the Brits.

Last time out-of Southampton there were quite a few evening jackets or kilts. I'm presuming everyone wants to freshen up and change for the evening dinner and shows, so why not change into something smart.  Doesn't have to be posh, maybe smart trousers/cargo trousers and clean top or blouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Umm.  I sure hope so.  Does he have a boyfriend?  Asking for a friend.  🙂

To stay on topic, I think he would have no trouble with the dress code.

If you didn't recognize that gentleman is actor Chris Pine.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If you didn't recognize that gentleman is actor Chris Pine.

You know, it’s really frustrating when you post something and no one bothers to answer the question.  🙂

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You know, it’s really frustrating when you post something and no one bothers to answer the question.  🙂

We did not think you were serious... LOL

bon voyage