Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

Maybe some people should consider jumping ship. This is what Virgin Voyages state:

"We encourage you to wear more than a bathing suit if you go to a restaurant and kindly consider shoes, but your style is your style. Who are we to judge?

Based on some comments here even that would be too restrictive for them...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

Maybe some people should consider jumping ship. This is what Virgin Voyages state:

"We encourage you to wear more than a bathing suit if you go to a restaurant and kindly consider shoes, but your style is your style. Who are we to judge?

Certainly you are familiar with the Virgin brand and Richard Branson.  Celebrity and Virgin are not compatible brands. So yes....if that appeals to you, you're not going to be happy here.

6 hours ago, kearney said:

Girls could not wear pants and jeans were a no no for boys. I had to go to the Dean of women or girls (can't recall her exact title)... I got in trouble for wearing culottes... the dean called them shorts... I ask her who in their right mind would wear plaid woolen shorts. 

Man - the things you remember from your youth.  I am in the same generation as you.  For some reason, in  junior high school one day, the principal came on the P.A. system and got all apoplectic in announcing that girls were forbidden to wear culottes!!  Which he pronounced COO-yottes.  I am not sure what language he thought the word was from?  Anyway, this is Tom writing, the culotte prohibition was not directly relevant to me, but for some reason I have always remembered the somewhat panicked tone of voice of the principal, and his weird pronunciation.

Tom & Judy 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Ladies, please, how hard would it be to wear a collared blouse.

Mango Women's Asymmetrial Satin Top - Blue - Size 4

Split Sleeve Belted Peplum Top, M White Belted,Split,Zipper 24-35Y Elegant Half Sleeve Elastane,Polyester Polyester Flared Regular Fit Split Sleeve

And tuck those darn things in!!!

Grrrrr! 🤬

😇

Well, when you have to wear a bra .... maybe you'll have a point

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It seems intentional to show the belt buckle.  Not sure why.

I know why! When I was in HS (I will Not give the year!!), if you weren’t wearing a belt, they sent you over to the gym and the gym teacher would break out his Huge paddle and give you a good smack on the rear…….Now That’s upholding a Dress Code!!!

Maybe the Younger Crowd will now understand why we ‘Old Timers’ are a bit sensitive to not following dress codes. Took a few sessions with my Counselor, Dr Tullamore DEW to overcome that. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When you say "Oh I should dress nicer."  What do you mean by that?  Were you wearing sweat pants and a ripped tshirt to a nice restaurant?

Every generation comes up with a different style that drives their parents up the wall.  Baggy pants, showing your underwear, ripping holes in your clothes, that's totally normal.  Even suits and ties are just another form of fashion.  Wearing tights in public.  Hoop skirts.  Look at Elizabethan collars.  Who came up with that idea?

https://www.ranker.com/list/history-of-elizabethan-collar/melissa-sartore

My point is.  All of this is perfectly normal.  Except for people who can't tuck in their shirt.  That's just not acceptable. 

Do you know the origin of pants being worn with the crotch down at ones knees? It's because when they arrested young men in the south, they confiscated their belts. It;s just a lovely look with plaid boxers 

24 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Certainly you are familiar with the Virgin brand and Richard Branson.  Celebrity and Virgin are not compatible brands. So yes....if that appeals to you, you're not going to be happy here.

I love Celebrity, and the chance to dress for dinner. I love to see many others also enjoying the ambiance. I posted to simply point out the options for those that prefer a more casual approach to cruising.  

4 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I love Celebrity, and the chance to dress for dinner. I love to see many others also enjoying the ambiance. I posted to simply point out the options for those that prefer a more casual approach to cruising.  

I agree completely. Lots of places to go that will suit every taste.  

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

So has Celebrity's dress code been updated to exclude untucked polo and button down shirts?

10 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Nope…..

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Split Sleeve Belted Peplum Top, M White Belted,Split,Zipper 24-35Y Elegant Half Sleeve Elastane,Polyester Polyester Flared Regular Fit Split Sleeve

Grrrrr! 🤬

😇

Sorry Ladies, I guess you can wear those untucked monstrosities on Celebrity. 

But just to let you know, wearing those will make my escargot taste like ......

snails.  😱

8 hours ago, peyeet said:

Genuinely wondering since I'm part of a younger demographic than almost anyone else on this board, I'd imagine (I'm 22). Why does it matter what other people are wearing? I never notice those around me or am bothered by what they're wearing if they walk past and I do notice, and I feel like I am at a restaurant to dine and enjoy the culinary experience, not to people watch. I've asked some other people my age this as well and never got a real good answer in my opinion. This most recently came up when we went to a $250 a person steakhouse and I realized right as we were about to leave "oh I should probably dress nicer", but at the end of the day, who would it benefit (or detract from) except for me and the people I am going to dinner with? Is this just something that was more "taught" before my generation came around?

Seriously......this right here ^^^^^ : )

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Grrrrr! 🤬

😇

Ok that white top is just the cutest!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, peyeet said:

Genuinely wondering since I'm part of a younger demographic than almost anyone else on this board, I'd imagine (I'm 22). Why does it matter what other people are wearing? I never notice those around me or am bothered by what they're wearing if they walk past and I do notice, and I feel like I am at a restaurant to dine and enjoy the culinary experience, not to people watch. I've asked some other people my age this as well and never got a real good answer in my opinion. This most recently came up when we went to a $250 a person steakhouse and I realized right as we were about to leave "oh I should probably dress nicer", but at the end of the day, who would it benefit (or detract from) except for me and the people I am going to dinner with? Is this just something that was more "taught" before my generation came around?

Are you genuinely asking? If so, I will tell you that in general regardless of what generation you are talking about...20 somethings are by and large oblivious to the world around them. They have little life experience and are still "separating" themselves from family, asserting their independence, and have a very inflated sense of self-centered importance. All very natural and normal.  It's all part of the growing up process. However, as you mature you will find that you do not live alone in the world and what you do, how you speak and interact (or fail to) and yes...how you dress, either sets you apart or includes you with the rest of the world. Everything ceases to be a battle to make a personal statement. You will learn to appreciate other points of view and understand how you contribute to a picture bigger than you and your immediate companions. Of course, judging from this crowd, as one gets older some digress. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Are you genuinely asking? If so, I will tell you that in general regardless of what generation you are talking about...20 somethings are by and large oblivious to the world around them. They have little life experience and are still "separating" themselves from family, asserting their independence, and have a very inflated sense of self-centered importance. All very natural and normal.  It's all part of the growing up process. However, as you mature you will find that you do not live alone in the world and what you do, how you speak and interact (or fail to) and yes...how you dress, either sets you apart or includes you with the rest of the world. Everything ceases to be a battle to make a personal statement. You will learn to appreciate other points of view and understand how you contribute to a picture bigger than you and your immediate companions. Of course, judging from this crowd, as one gets older some digress. 

Well I can see what you are saying here, however, I am 51 and could not agree with peyeet more.  I'm a mother of 5 humans and I would absolutely teach them just that. Just be who you are, and don't care what others think of you.   That's all a matter of opinion of course just as everything is but I agree with this 22 yr old.  : ) 

• Like 2