Covid Testing? Walgreens Just Cancelled

GJM

We are cruising on Monday, had our Covid tests scheduled for Sat at Walgreens, just got an email that they cancelled and there are no other appointments at any Walgreens around us.  I did schedule one in FL on Sunday as a back up plan.

Are there any Covid test I can buy in the store that will work for test results.  

This is our first time cruising since Covid and I am in a panic now about getting our test done.

Thank you

I just ordered, it said if I order by 6 I should have it next business day.  Hopefully it goes thru without a problem.

My Urgent Care does, but it was $100 for each of us, and not covered by insurance.

• Like 1

If you got some of the federal government iHealth tests you can buy proctoring for $25 from them.  FAQ kind of implies you need to use an unopened box but in another spot says that using second test from the box isn't a problem.  Not sure - we haven't done ours yet.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

Note that you need Google Chrome, laptop or computer with camera/mike.  Doesn't work with phones or tablets.

• Like 2

I see you're in Myrtle Beach. I just checked the CVS website, and there are appointments available on Saturday at:

1303 38th Ave N, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

6617 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572

930 82nd Parkway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572

601 Highway 17 North, Surfside, SC 29576

9718 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572

And then I stopped looking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeeW said:

If you got some of the federal government iHealth tests you can buy proctoring for $25 from them.  FAQ kind of implies you need to use an unopened box but in another spot says that using second test from the box isn't a problem.  Not sure - we haven't done ours yet.

Note that you need Google Chrome, laptop or computer with camera/mike.  Doesn't work with phones or tablets.

I have been unable to find out if the proctored use of the IHealth tests is acceptable or not. I emailed both IHealth and RC without responses. It seems like it should be, but I don't want to arrive at the pier and find out they're not. I will end up ordering the emed test this week. 

I suggest you order the e-med tests either from RCI or e-med itself.  And have a CVS or Urgent Care as a backup.  I did my test at 12:01 am on the Friday before my Sunday cruise and once this test was negative, I cancelled the backups.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GJM said:

I just ordered, it said if I order by 6 I should have it next business day.  Hopefully it goes thru without a problem.

My Urgent Care does, but it was $100 for each of us, and not covered by insurance.

When I ordered the 6 pack from eMed in January the FedEx charge included and it took 3-4 days until they were delivered...so not exactly overnight as I was expecting. So good luck to you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

I suggest you order the e-med tests either from RCI or e-med itself.  And have a CVS or Urgent Care as a backup.  I did my test at 12:01 am on the Friday before my Sunday cruise and once this test was negative, I cancelled the backups.  

We did the samething...stayed up until just after midnight on a Friday to do our eMed test (for our Sunday cruise) and left for the airport for our pre-cruise at 5:00am...that was a long day flying from LAX-SJU with no sleep. We then cancelled our scheduled tests with RCI at the pier in San Juan. Luckily it all worked out. How nice it would be to be given 3 days out for testing instead of 2.

• Like 1

This really scares me. We'll book tomorrow for next friday. Walgreens is the only place within 70+ miles from home that tests (other than urgent cares $$$). Our plan was to book 3 different Walgreens locations in route to Galveston. If Walgreens (as a whole company) cancels everything we're going to be in a bind.

1 minute ago, packedandready said:

This really scares me. We'll book tomorrow for next friday. Walgreens is the only place within 70+ miles from home that tests (other than urgent cares $$$). Our plan was to book 3 different Walgreens locations in route to Galveston. If Walgreens (as a whole company) cancels everything we're going to be in a bind.

Took my son to Walgreens for his test today so it’s not company wide. I think some locations are just scaling back. If you have another location by you I’d recommend making a backup appointment just in case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

Lee, have you used the IHealth monitored results at the pier? I can't find anything in the Royal Caribbean documentation that says they shouldn't be accepted. :classic_smile:

51 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Lee, have you used the IHealth monitored results at the pier? I can't find anything in the Royal Caribbean documentation that says they shouldn't be accepted. :classic_smile:

I should have tagged you. @LeeW :classic_biggrin:

13 hours ago, GJM said:

If that is an option, pay the $100 pp worth it!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GJM said:

I would definitely keep the backup tests you have in Florida.   I ordered our Emed 6pack last Friday morning, it was shipped Saturday and we received them on the Monday.  Fingers crossed yours are sent overnight.

I cancelled the Emed because it wouldn't have been here, it was still pending after 6PM  All the Walgreens by us have 0 appointments at any of them.  So we are driving 45 min tomorrow to a Walgreens, we still have our appointment in FL, but we were worried if we hit traffic or something and can't make it in time.  We are driving from SC and going to Port Canaveral.  Next cruise, if we still have to test, I am ordering the home tests.  

25 minutes ago, GJM said:

I cancelled the Emed because it wouldn't have been here, it was still pending after 6PM  All the Walgreens by us have 0 appointments at any of them.  So we are driving 45 min tomorrow to a Walgreens, we still have our appointment in FL, but we were worried if we hit traffic or something and can't make it in time.  We are driving from SC and going to Port Canaveral.  Next cruise, if we still have to test, I am ordering the home tests.  

Hopefully all goes well with Walgreens tomorrow.     We got our results in about 1 hr. from Walgreens 2 weeks ago.     did you sign up for the ID now Naat Test?    That is one the you want from Walgreens. 

Free and easy is better than paying the $100+ pp at the mobile labs set up at various ports are charging.     

Is there a CVS near you, we have tested with them too.    

Testing is becoming more and more of a hassle as testing locations close and government funding for testing dries up. 

We have the lowest level of cases in the hospital and the lowest amount of people in the ICU since this pandemic started. Lower than pre delta variant when pre cruise testing was not a thing.

Positive test rates are also near an all time low level.

It’s time to start thinking about dropping the stressful pre-cruise testing requirement. Maybe initially for passengers who are up to date with vaccination and booster shots. 

Edited by binro01
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Testing is becoming more and more of a hassle as testing locations close and government funding for testing dries up. 

What occurred to me reading through this thread is simply...what a pain it all is. Traveling USED to be easy and relaxing. I also had a test canceled and had to scramble to find something right before a cruise. Too nerve-wracking for my 66 year-old mind. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 2