Help....Need to contact other members of Cruise Critic Directly

MrsTocko

Ok - here is what happened.

I started the roll call for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel - Leaving April 22 to Alaska.  I have agreed (and early on agreed) to organize the Meet and Mingle for our cruise.  I sent over the email to set it up.  We are a small group but enthusiastic...anyway, I just received a call from NCL that someone else had already signed up to host the Meet & Mingle for our cruise!

We had 4 members (that I know of for sure) of our roll call cancel their cruise...Im guessing that one of them had set it up already.  I was told that it was on the books for a year already (I didnt think we could set one up until 2-3 weeks prior - but apparently you can set it up then adjust the numbers closer to the sailing date).  

NCL couldn't tell me anything about who set it up (obviously - privacy - I get that), where or when (not my event - so I can't hijack it I guess?).  and the Problem is that they cant have 2 cruise critic Meet & Mingle on the same cruise. Again Obvious.  

So at the moment, there is a Meet & Mingle set up for our cruise, that no one knows anything about, and is not likely to, if the person who set it up cancelled their cruise.  If it was one of them, just because they cancelled the cruise, doesnt automatically remove them as host of the Meet & Mingle.  NCL Special Events needs to be contacted with a request to be removed as host or in some other way inform the group event coordinator that you have cancelled.

I have posted the situation in my roll call - not sure if the cancelled members will still receive notification or even read it. Which is understandable.  But is there a way to contact them directly to explain the situation and ask them to contact NCL?

OR

If you are reading this, and this is you, please can you give them a quick call or send them an email?  They have the roll call that I am leading listed as the second one. So by you calling and letting them know, they will just let me know that we are good to go. 

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can provide.  I appreciate it.  Now I better go try to set it up for the July Cruise!

7 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

NCL couldn't tell me anything about who set it up (obviously - privacy - I get that), where or when (not my event - so I can't hijack it I guess?).  and the Problem is that they cant have 2 cruise critic Meet & Mingle on the same cruise. Again Obvious.  

Did you ask NCL to confirm that the party who set it up is still booked on that cruise?  If so, I would ask them for details of the where and when for the event.  If not, I would think they would allow you to take the lead.  I've never done any of this, so maybe I don't understand something.

• Like 1

Did you ask NCL to confirm that the party who set it up is still booked on that cruise?  If so, I would ask them for details of the where and when for the event.  If not, I would think they would allow you to take the lead.  I've never done any of this, so maybe I don't understand something.

She was able to tell me the usual, meets the first sea day around 11, I asked if they could confirm it with the person who set it up, and was told that no, they don't contact them.  Which I get.  They have plenty to do without chasing people down.

My GUESS is that it was assumed that if they cancelled their cruise, it would AUTO cancel their meet and mingle.  it doesn't.  it is a different department entirely.  Their isn't a trickle down effect...much like the DMV - at least in California - updating your address for your car registration, doesn't update your driver's license address (for renewal).  2 separate things.

Im sure it will work out.  Even if I have to just go to Guest Services on board and ask where and when...

just stressful...

let me tell you though, that first drink on board is going to be GOOD!

• Like 1

It sounds like you know specific Cruise Critic members that you want to contact.  I assume you know their member names.  

Start a normal posting and refer to them by their member name but prefix it with the @ sign. 

As in @MrsTocko   

As you type the name, Cruise Critic will pop up a list of suggestions.  Keep typing until you see the name you want in the list and select it.  This will “tag” that person and it should notify them of the tagged message.  It can’t force them to see it, but it’s a step in the right direction.  It’s the closest thing to private messages. 

• Thanks 1

You can also go to the member’s profiles and see if they’ve been posting/active on CC recently.

Also you may be able to message them through their profile if it is enabled. By the way I went to your profile and you have that feature disabled. Maybe turn it on for the time being so the other members can message you directly. 

Good Luck!

25 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Also you may be able to message them through their profile if it is enabled.

It's not, to prevent people from using DM's to discuss TA's (or prevent TA's from contacting people directly) and exchange (in the case of NCL) CruiseNext certificates, both of which are not allowed on CC.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, styles27 said:

You can also go to the member’s profiles and see if they’ve been posting/active on CC recently.

Also you may be able to message them through their profile if it is enabled. By the way I went to your profile and you have that feature disabled. Maybe turn it on for the time being so the other members can message you directly. 

Good Luck!

Yup Tried that - was disable.  Looked at mine, couldnt see where to ENABLE it.

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

It's not, to prevent people from using DM's to discuss TA's (or prevent TA's from contacting people directly) and exchange (in the case of NCL) CruiseNext certificates, both of which are not allowed on CC.

That explains it....

• Like 1

I am setting up our Meet and Greet for our sailing and the exact same thing happened to me. I thought maybe it was a group from outside CC, but they insisted it was a CC person that set it up.  My concern wasn't "who" set it up, but more that she wasn't able to tell us when it was scheduled for or any details to tell our group. She agreed to reach out to the individual for me to check on things - and by the next day it was straightened out and she switched it from the previous person to me - so she was then allowed to share the information on date/time. Maybe you can ask them to do the same on your end? If they can reach out to the person it might straighten it all out also.

52 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

It sounds like you know specific Cruise Critic members that you want to contact.  I assume you know their member names.  

Start a normal posting and refer to them by their member name but prefix it with the @ sign. 

As in @MrsTocko   

As you type the name, Cruise Critic will pop up a list of suggestions.  Keep typing until you see the name you want in the list and select it.  This will “tag” that person and it should notify them of the tagged message.  It can’t force them to see it, but it’s a step in the right direction.  It’s the closest thing to private messages. 

I do know specifically, I just didnt want to "call them out" publicly.

I miss the "old" days that allowed me to see who all were members...and maybe hadn't actually posted anything in the roll call.  I dont miss the auto post when joining a roll call though!

2 minutes ago, ljrfrm said:

I am setting up our Meet and Greet for our sailing and the exact same thing happened to me. I thought maybe it was a group from outside CC, but they insisted it was a CC person that set it up.  My concern wasn't "who" set it up, but more that she wasn't able to tell us when it was scheduled for or any details to tell our group. She agreed to reach out to the individual for me to check on things - and by the next day it was straightened out and she switched it from the previous person to me - so she was then allowed to share the information on date/time. Maybe you can ask them to do the same on your end? If they can reach out to the person it might straighten it all out also.

THIS is it precisely.  The woman I spoke to, after expressing frustration on both sides - for which i apologized, because I directed my frustration at her, and it was uncalled for - not her fault - has been very helpful since, and has assured me that we will figure it out, and that I shouldn't worry.

I did ask all of those things.  And specifically that I get you cant tell me, but YOU (NCL) has the information, and can you please reach out to them and confirm.  and I get that that cant do that to everyone.  But under the circumstances, I would think this would qualify as an acceptation to the rule.

But I should know something in the next day or 2.  She was very confident we would get it fixed.  I posted this just before she called back to discuss further and what we can do.  If we can get the person that set up the original to cancel it, then it makes it easier all around for everyone is all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

THIS is it precisely.  The woman I spoke to, after expressing frustration on both sides - for which i apologized, because I directed my frustration at her, and it was uncalled for - not her fault - has been very helpful since, and has assured me that we will figure it out, and that I shouldn't worry.

I did ask all of those things.  And specifically that I get you cant tell me, but YOU (NCL) has the information, and can you please reach out to them and confirm.  and I get that that cant do that to everyone.  But under the circumstances, I would think this would qualify as an acceptation to the rule.

But I should know something in the next day or 2.  She was very confident we would get it fixed.  I posted this just before she called back to discuss further and what we can do.  If we can get the person that set up the original to cancel it, then it makes it easier all around for everyone is all.

In these situations, as soon as I realize that I'm about to start losing my temper with the poor soul on the other end of the phone line, I TRY to remember to stop, and then say:  "I'm sorry.  I am NOT mad at you.  I may be mad at your company, but obviously, you had nothing to do with that."  (which is usually true at that stage).  I've found a lot of reps suddenly get very helpful, once that has cleared the air.

I'm sure they are treated like "the enemy" so often...  It can't be pleasant.  (And I'll refrain from commenting about the times the phone rep *IS* the problem, ahem...!)

GC

• Like 1

To those who have been "gazumped" my sincere condolences.   It happened to me. 

I posted a very "nasty" comment on the Roll Call and the person concerned actually emailed me to complain about the posting (My email is on all my posts).

The way I do a  M&G meant I had the email addresses of ALL those wishing to attend so I emailed them and they posted about it on the Roll Call.

The person concerned said he would withdraw, there were circumstances I could prove that I had offered first on the Roll Call and that he HAD to know I had!!   He then said he intended to change his booking to another cruise BUT he didn't.

Interesting times when we boarded but that is another story that I won't put on here!!!

If you want more suggestions my email is below.

All the best

Mike

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

In these situations, as soon as I realize that I'm about to start losing my temper with the poor soul on the other end of the phone line, I TRY to remember to stop, and then say:  "I'm sorry.  I am NOT mad at you.  I may be mad at your company, but obviously, you had nothing to do with that."  (which is usually true at that stage).  I've found a lot of reps suddenly get very helpful, once that has cleared the air.

I'm sure they are treated like "the enemy" so often...  It can't be pleasant.  (And I'll refrain from commenting about the times the phone rep *IS* the problem, ahem...!)

GC

Yes - I flat out said, on the return call.  "I'm sorry, i know i was short and abrupt with you and it is just my frustration with the issue.  and that is the last thing you need. I know that you guys are all dealing with so many other things with cancellations. I apologize."

my letting my frustration out, got it out of my system, and then I could be productive in finding a solution....I type a TON of work emails....that never get sent...but it gets the emotion out of me, and then I can send a productive email.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

Yes - I flat out said, on the return call.  "I'm sorry, i know i was short and abrupt with you and it is just my frustration with the issue.  and that is the last thing you need. I know that you guys are all dealing with so many other things with cancellations. I apologize."

my letting my frustration out, got it out of my system, and then I could be productive in finding a solution....I type a TON of work emails....that never get sent...but it gets the emotion out of me, and then I can send a productive email.

Ha!

I do the same thing... type email sometimes as a cathartic.  Decide to sit on it for a while.  Then never send it.  But it works. 🙂

GC

Monday morning quarterbacking - day late - etc.

There is a difference between ROLL CALL and the MEET & GREET (MINGLE).

Read the Stickey on Page 1 of this forum or click on this LINK:

How to Set Up a Cruise Critic "Meet & Mingle" (or, Meet & Greet) on your NCL Cruise

Roll Call is pre-cruise for exchange of information ideas travel plans and questions about

your cruise - while Meet & Greet is a gathering of Roll Call members on board the ship for

meeting others the crew and the coordination of any pre-plans made.

According to the Stickey any one can join the Roll Call - "BUT" ONLY one person should

be setting up the actual Meet & Greet on board - NCL does not like having TOO MANY bosses.

That responsible person should coordinate with the ships host email:

GroupEvent@ncl.com. Simply replace with your ship (Dawn, Gem, Jewel, etc).

For Pride of America, use this email address: groupeventamerica@ncl.com.

The Covid virus caused the Meet & Greet functions to be suspended

It appears that these are now back into swing.

Meet & Greets are mostly successful if done when there is SEA day right away after

the sail-away - later in the cruise they become lessor so.

It is possible for two or more to share the function of Meet & Greet coordinator

BUT Please only one doing the communicating with NCL.

Some of the related activities of the M & G -

the cabin crawl -

the slot pull -

the gift exchange -

scavenger hunt

Whatever you do cruise well and enjoy the CC company !

On 4/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, casofilia said:

All the best

Mike

Mike  --  I know i sent my Thanks at the time...

However, your message today reminded me of the assistance you provided for my first ever M&G...
Although your advice was you liked smaller groups - ours was a VERY Active & Huge Trans-Pacific Roll Call & M&G...

The Group was so Active we had a 2nd M&G at the end of the cruise for our fond farewells...

The Special Events Manager was most helpful & Sr. Officers attended both functions...

Thanks once again for your e-mails & time, 3-1/2 years ago 🙂 

Can I ask a really dumb question?  Why go through all this hassle and drama to go through NCL to arrange a spot to hold the meet and mingle?

Why not just discuss in the roll call and agree to meet in X location on a certain day and time? This seems so much easier to me, but maybe I am missing something?

• Like 1

@Cruise Gopher

Special arrangements between NCL and CC

They provide nibbles and "drinks" (Soft and coffee/tea).

Officers attend; often 9/10 of the most senior offices who can do a lot for the attendees.   (On a VERY few occasions the captain too.)

They provide an Officer contact sheet.   (Very useful)

The officers, who generally have long memories, seem to recognise M&G attendees round the ship and are extra positive towards them when help is requested.

The contact sheet has direct phone numbers of officers.   If you have a problem then USE IT and mention how you know the number and name.   Works wonders.   Saves getting lost in the system when going through Guest Services.

I'm sure it is also useful when arranging other things, either NCL arranged or CC arranged.

Edited by casofilia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2022 at 7:54 PM, casofilia said:

I posted a very "nasty" comment on the Roll Call and the person concerned actually emailed me to complain about the posting (My email is on all my posts).

The way I do a  M&G meant I had the email addresses of ALL those wishing to attend so I emailed them and they posted about it on the Roll Call.

The person concerned said he would withdraw, there were circumstances I could prove that I had offered first on the Roll Call and that he HAD to know I had!!   He then said he intended to change his booking to another cruise BUT he didn't.

Interesting times when we boarded but that is another story that I won't put on here!!!

All the best

Mike

@casofilia @ljrfrm @MrsTocko

I know I am replying to this over a year and a half after this thread, but The VERY SAME THING just happened to me yesterday and today for a cruise we are taking in October!!!

This is not our first M&G hosting, but I've always heard that 2-3 weeks ahead of sailing is when requests for CC M&G's should be made. We booked this cruise back in November of 2021 (almost 2 years ago) and not only did I start the roll call, but I made it pretty clear in the first post that I would be taking the lead on it. So naturally, you can imagine how completely SHOCKED I was to discover someone had already made the request.  "Gazumped" as you call it! 

Anyway, I got the exact same response from NCL's Special Events, no info about when or who made the request and only one CC M&G per sailing.  I also vented on our roll call this morning and I'm still hopeful the person who did it will email me personally so we can either co-host, or they can relinquish to me.  I also didn't want to call out anyone publicly, and honestly I can't be sure who did it, but mind you-- if they don't come forward, eventually everyone will know who it is unless like in one of your cases, they are no longer sailing.

See my rant post here --> 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2816315-ncl-pearl-october-6-2023-quebec-to-boston/?do=findComment&comment=66018369

I would be very interested in knowing how things eventually turned out for each of you, and would be grateful if you contacted me. 🙏🏼 I hope this is not becoming a trend.

Please feel free to email me at 
nclcruicin@gmail.com and thank you for an input you can give me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, afn10305 said:

I also vented on our roll call this morning and I'm still hopeful the person who did it will email me personally so we can either co-host, or they can relinquish to me

and I'm wondering if you even reached the correct audience.  I wonder if someone from another social media page made the request feigning that they were doing it for a CC roll call.

Never understood the reason to be the one to contact NCL about a M&G. You don’t get anything for doing it other than getting to pat yourself on the back. Definitely a first world issue getting so upset. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1