Princess Shareholder question for Aussies

Not being an investor, I know nothing about individual share trading, but I see USA posts where it appears common to have 100 princess shares to quality for the extra OBC. I have been reading everything I can about this and understand the benefits. I am thinking it sounds worth doing to score the OBC especially as we have a number of cruises booked. My questions is whether it is simply finding a broker (even through my Westpac account) and asking them to buy 100 CCL shares? Its the only thing I would have in my portfolio as Im not an investor but I reckon it will earn more dividend than current banking accounts!!! Then I get a certificate that I send to Princess for all my booking numbers???

Any advice would be most appreciated.

We bought ours through St George Direct Shares, so Westpac will probably link to that as well, or something similar.

At the moment they aren't paying dividends but pre-Covid it was US $50 a quarter.

You have to apply for the OBC for each cruise, sending an up to date share statement showing your name and the statement date, but with the account number blanked out, to Princess or whichever of the Carnival brands you are cruising with. The email addresses for Princess and P&O are on another thread here. I'll see if I can find them and post them here.

• Like 1

I applied for my 100 shares in Carnival through ANZ share trading. I was/am a complete novice and the people I dealt with were very helpful and didn't make me feel silly because I was new to share trading. The price at the moment is much less than I paid a few years ago and if you cruise a reasonable amount, you will easily recoup your outlay and still own the shares.

As Julie said, you have to apply for the OBC for each cruise. I have printed off the internet proof of my share ownership and will email this to both Princess and P&O so I have my OBC. The amounts are: cruises less than 7 days $50; 7-13 days $100; 14 days + $250.

The email addresses are -

Princess -  benefits@princesscruises.com.au

P&O -         shareholderbenefit@carnivalaustralia.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Carnival Corp share price is pretty good at the moment. Pre-COVID it was US$48 - US$50 per share, but plummeted when COVID hit. After dropping below US $10, it quickly rose to close to US$20 per share. The last time I looked, that was where it was. I see it is now around US$18 per share. I think it is a good buy, but (as Julie said) don't expect any dividends for quite a while.

You would be looking at an outlay around AUD$2,500 for the required hundred shares. Consider how many cruises you might plan to do on the Carnival-brand ships. When you decide to give up cruising, you still have the shares to sell and may even make a small profit on the sale if the price goes up when cruising normalises.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

Yes, if you're planning to cruise a fair bit the shares are very good value at the moment, even without regular dividends. The US share market dropped a month or so ago, thanks to Putin, but is recovering again. Buying now would be very sensible.

• Like 1

Hi Cbtours

Last I heard they were about $25-$30 aud, so if you could buy just 100, your looking at around $2500-3000.

Don't know how to buy shares so haven't bought any. But like you was wondering what was involved.

But before covid I think they were around $38 usd a share, so probably a good buy anyway

Regards

3 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Cbtours

Last I heard they were about $25-$30 aud, so if you could buy just 100, your looking at around $2500-3000.

Don't know how to buy shares so haven't bought any. But like you was wondering what was involved.

But before covid I think they were around $38 usd a share, so probably a good buy anyway

Regards

The current price is US $18.34 so, yes, around AU $25. 

At one stage pre-Covid they got up to around US $60 a share.

6 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Cbtours

Regards

I contacted ANZ Share Trading and they walked me through it. 🙂

It can take a little time to get set up, but we have certainly  received our initial investment back via dividends and OBC. Hoping the dividends return again so it can continue to provide a nice yield along with the Carnival Corp cruises we have planned.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We bought ours through St George Direct Shares, so Westpac will probably link to that as well, or something similar.

At the moment they aren't paying dividends but pre-Covid it was US $50 a quarter.

You have to apply for the OBC for each cruise, sending an up to date share statement showing your name and the statement date, but with the account number blanked out, to Princess or whichever of the Carnival brands you are cruising with. The email addresses for Princess and P&O are on another thread here. I'll see if I can find them and post them here.

Thanks so much. I never really knew about it and wondered  if it wasn’t an Aussie done thing

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I contacted ANZ Share Trading and they walked me through it. 🙂

I thought so too! USD $18.74 is about the $25AUD so figured it worth it. Cos we’ve got a few cruises lined up I worked out from the benefit scale we’d be up for $800 OBC so that’s not a bad return to start with 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I applied for my 100 shares in Carnival through ANZ share trading. I was/am a complete novice and the people I dealt with were very helpful and didn't make me feel silly because I was new to share trading. The price at the moment is much less than I paid a few years ago and if you cruise a reasonable amount, you will easily recoup your outlay and still own the shares.

As Julie said, you have to apply for the OBC for each cruise. I have printed off the internet proof of my share ownership and will email this to both Princess and P&O so I have my OBC. The amounts are: cruises less than 7 days $50; 7-13 days $100; 14 days + $250.

The email addresses are -

Princess -  benefits@princesscruises.com.au

P&O -         shareholderbenefit@carnivalaustralia.com

Thanks so much. I’m going to ph westpac Monday 

We have had our shares since 2010, and are way in front with the OBC and dividends, though I dont think we will see dividends again for a while

We also used ANZ Share investing, but you need to have them buy the shares through the US stock exchange.

• Like 1

Another one who has Carnival shares, have applied for OBC for P&O, Carnival and Princess in the past.

We also use ANZ share investing. We are down about $25 per share since purchasing a few years ago but didn't purchase them to buy and sell. As my hubby says, "you haven't lost money until you sell" 😀

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/shareholder-information/shareholder-benefit

Princess combine FCD OBC with Shareholder OBC and Military and any other  OBC offered, so easy to end up with a fair bit. Some cruise lines they are not combinable (is that a word🙄)

5 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Another one who has Carnival shares, have applied for OBC 

We also use ANZ share investing. We are down about $25 per share since purchasing a few years ago but didn't purchase them to buy and sell. As my hubby says, "you haven't lost money until you sell" 😀

So true, we will likely sell when our cruise days are over or the benefit is removed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

So true, we will likely sell when our cruise days are over or the benefit is removed.

Hello Mic😀 yes, our thoughts too if they remove the benefit.

• Like 1

Just now, Cbtours said:

I too am really only thinking of the OBC

Clearly at the moment, that is the only reason to buy Carnival shares. That is the main reason they won't remove the OBC. They could not afford the consequent share dump that would occur.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Carnival Corp share price is pretty good at the moment. Pre-COVID it was US$48 - US$50 per share, but plummeted when COVID hit. After dropping below US $10, it quickly rose to close to US$20 per share.

In those dire days, Carnival Corp raised cash with a share offering of $8 per share. The risk at the time was so high, they needed a bargain price to attract big investors. I have friends that bought at the $8, but I wanted to keep my money close.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 5:28 PM, arxcards said:

In those dire days, Carnival Corp raised cash with a share offering of $8 per share. The risk at the time was so high, they needed a bargain price to attract big investors. I have friends that bought at the $8, but I wanted to keep my money close.

So the big question is it would cost $2519 AUD at today's prices which are down a little since yesterday. even though the bookings are through the roof, its the costs that is keeping in lower (so I read lol). Given we should receive $800 worth of OBC in the first almost 2 years of purchase, ideally the price will jump back up as covid settles and confidence to travel resumes??/ It still seems a decent risk to me. I have set my plans in motion!!!

15 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

So the big question is it would cost $2519 AUD at today's prices which are down a little since yesterday. even though the bookings are through the roof, its the costs that is keeping in lower (so I read lol). Given we should receive $800 worth of OBC in the first almost 2 years of purchase, ideally the price will jump back up as covid settles and confidence to travel resumes??/ It still seems a decent risk to me. I have set my plans in motion!!!

I think the shares are a good financial proposition at the moment. Unless something drastic happens, the price of shares will go up.

• Like 1