Wanting Southern Caribbean cruise in March 2023- Spirit, Horizon, Magic are the options

tensixmom

Hi All.  I've only ever cruised out of the west coast before and I think a Southern Caribbean itinerary looks interesting.  We'd like to go in March for our anniversary.

The three Carnival ships that sail out there in that time frame are Spirit, Horizon, and Magic.

What do you all like/dislike about these ships, and what do you think I should know before choosing one?

Thank you!

The Horizon is among the newer ships, relatively speaking.  It has an Imax and Thrill Theatre which would be nice with those extra Sea Days.  The spa is nice but it does not have a Thalosotherapy pool, which you will find on the Magic, if that is a consideration for you.  We've been on both classes, and have cruises currently booked on both (including the Southern itinerary on Horizon).  The Horizon has more specialty dining options.  Departure is easier from Miami, than flying into Orlando, too, just based on distance to port.   I can't comment on the Spirit. 

• Like 1

The itineraries are much alike, but not being into snorkeling or diving, I would prefer the one Horizon itinerary that has curaçao instead of Bonaire.  A plus for the Spirit itinerary is Half Moon Cay, a delightful beach day.  It might come down to the convenience of flights and travel from airport to hotel to port.  But you have plenty of time to decide.  EM

• Like 1

Having recently been on Horizon I would not sail on that ship again unless I "shrank" it by getting a cabin in Havana area- which we did.  Even at 70% capacity ship seemed jammed on Lido, while Havana was the opposite.  We liked the Magic, and - while not specifically on Spirit (upcoming in January) we have sailed spirit class ships, which were fine.  I would go by itinerary first, then ship/cost.

• Like 1

I would pick Horizon over Magic because Horizon has JiJis which I love. It also has Teppanyaki, P&A smokehouse brewhouse with their own beers and the good bloody Marys. Horizon also has a dedicated sports bar and an imax in case of a rainy day. 

The things I like about Magic are the larger main lounge, comedy club, and alchemy with three alchemists instead of two.

I rank Horizon 2nd and Magic 6th amongst carnival ships. I wouldn’t hesitate to book either of them. In fact I have both of them booked.

I haven’t been on a spirit class ship so I can’t speak on that.

• Like 3

Thank you all... I never would have considered the ease of getting to the port as part of my calculations.  So for someone flying, it seems Miami is easier than Orlando/Port Canaveral... that is the kind of information I need!

I honestly haven't cruised enough to know what exactly I want in a ship.  Most of my previous cruises have been shorter 3 day ones because that's what's convenient without taking time off work.

It would just be me and my husband; we are in our late 40's but still enjoy activities.

You've given me lots to think about!  Thank you!

16 hours ago, tensixmom said:

Hi All.  I've only ever cruised out of the west coast before and I think a Southern Caribbean itinerary looks interesting.  We'd like to go in March for our anniversary.

The three Carnival ships that sail out there in that time frame are Spirit, Horizon, and Magic.

What do you all like/dislike about these ships, and what do you think I should know before choosing one?

Thank you!

Assuming you are traveling adults only, I'd probably be the oddball to say Spirit. Less crowd/chaos/kids and probably cheaper than the other 2. Really I'd base it on the ports and price though as I don't think any of these ships would deter me.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

I have Curacao as much more interesting than Bonaire. 

Interesting as I've always read bonaire is the most desirable of the ABC islands. 

I'm on dream jan 2024 which does the A and C of the ABC islands. Plus panama etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tensixmom said:

Thank you all... I never would have considered the ease of getting to the port as part of my calculations.  So for someone flying, it seems Miami is easier than Orlando/Port Canaveral... that is the kind of information I need!

I honestly haven't cruised enough to know what exactly I want in a ship.  Most of my previous cruises have been shorter 3 day ones because that's what's convenient without taking time off work.

It would just be me and my husband; we are in our late 40's but still enjoy activities.

You've given me lots to think about!  Thank you!

Just make sure you allow enough time to get to the airport for your flight back. I flew out of MIA in late February, and spent an hour waiting to go through security. If you fly Southwest or United, you will have a long walk from where Carnival's shuttle drops you off to their terminals in MIA. Since there was a slight hiccup with the facial recognition system during the disembarkation process, some people with earlier flights missed their flights.

That said, MCO can be a zoo as well.

• Like 1

I would pick the Horizon 1st, but only with a Havana cabin. As SG mentioned above, the amount of food venues is fantastic. We did a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Horizon last August, (review in my signature), and we are booked on the Vista to the Southern Caribbean in April 2024, in a Havana cabin.

I would pick the Spirit 2nd, just because we just love the Spirit Class ships. Never feel crowded, and the flow of the ship works well. We are booked on the Spirit to the Southern Caribbean next January.

That leaves the Magic, another ship that we love. You really can't go wrong if you book her. Will feel less crowded than the Horizon, with the larger show room and Comedy Club. We will be back on her out of New York in 2023.

As far as the islands, we would rank Aruba first, Curacao second, and Bonaire 3rd. All of them are beautiful with plenty to do on each.

Enjoy your planning!:classic_cool:

• Like 2