Live 7N Discovery Princess Picture Review April 10, 2022

crusinthrough

On 4/19/2022 at 6:03 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@ozzieboundI never went to enclave. I hope some who did pipes in. 
@vinsheer. I used GS and Crooners only a few times but when I did I usually went up to the bar as we went when it wasn’t crowded. If the bar was crowded I walked up to a server or flagged one down. I didn’t have any trouble but once we did wait a bit in GS. 
We used the retreat bar and occasionally the ones by the mid ship pools but those were usually crowded. 

@Myrtle Ave. MayhemI feel you. I kept telling DH I’ve never felt more disconnected from the sea than on this ship. Then I found that aft deck 7 port side corner. However, I finally understood why people on the Royal class complain about exhaust and soot in the aft cabins. 

This was my second Royal class sailing and I have one more out if SF to try out a forward club class mini. I don’t plan on booking this class again. Since SF is now the home port for Royal I’ve booked Regatta on Oceania out of LA. Hate the drive. Under 700 pax but still no promenade and incredibly small concierge level balconies.  The PH suites sell out very quickly. But the food is supposed to amazing and it goes to Eureka where I used to live and still have family. I am looking at Viking Ocean as well.  I will also go back to Cunard. 

DH & I just decided last night to cancel my birthday cruise on Royal and fly to Maui for w weeks. We will get on some much smaller boats. Lol. 

I went to College of the Redwoods for their Aviation Management program. Little did I know Eureka is the foggiest place in the US and that the instrument landing system, ILS, was developed there. I ended up soloing at Eureka/Arcada airport and just recently retired after a 40yr airline flying career. Samoa cookhouse was great for broke college students.

Edited by Yehootu

On 4/17/2022 at 4:57 PM, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Scratching my head as to why Princess would build a ship without a floor to ceiling observation lounge & a fully encircling promenade deck. There is almost zero connection to the sea from interior spaces.

The first is so that Princess has more cabins and sanctuary/cabanas to sell.  The second is so that passengers will stay inside and spend money.

1 hour ago, latserrof said:

The first is so that Princess has more cabins and sanctuary/cabanas to sell.  The second is so that passengers will stay inside and spend money.

That is my conclusion too regarding Discovery Princess.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@JF - retired RRT yes sadly I know

@roxievegasyes we took a ticket and the attendant there directed us. We didn’t want to actually exit so we parked and walked over to the exit which is as you describe. 

We had made 5:20 reservations in the aft Ketchikan MDR.  We showed up on time.  The line on the left was for without reservations the one on the right for those with reservations.  There were only a few people ahead of us but the no reservations line had around 20 people in it. There were an adequate number of staff getting folks seated. When they scanned us they saw our reservation and took us to a two top that had almost no room between it and the other “private” table. I asked for a table that was more socially distanced and very quickly without a lot of fuss they did. Our waitress Patricia was excellent. You can just tell those that have been doing this awhile.  So professional and charming. We quickly ordered wine and an entree and let her know we would like a fast service. We were done and leaving by 5:55 pm.  We kept our n95s on until our food arrived.  When we left the with reservations line was long and the no reservation line was very short. 

I'm just now reading this and I happened to noticed that you mentioned a waitress named Patricia.  By any chance, was she a petite red-headed Polish woman?  If so, I agree about her excellence.  She waited on me on my Emerald Princess cruise (pre-Covid) and she was totally delightful.

5 hours ago, latserrof said:

I was told that because the bigger ships require more life boats, this took up space on the promenade deck. 

3 minutes ago, GrammySpo said:

I was told that because the bigger ships require more life boats, this took up space on the promenade deck. 

Also, I read that after the Costa Concordia, life boats had to be accessible without having to be lowered.  

8 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Also, I read that after the Costa Concordia, life boats had to be accessible without having to be lowered.  

I spoke with a Princess Safety Director and this is exactly it, after Concordia the redesign is all about safety. I too the promenade.

12 hours ago, abbydancer said:

But it still does not explain all the upper decks forward viewing areas are repurposed to cabins and Sanctuary from Lotus Spa, gym, outside walk-around area!

22 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

But it still does not explain all the upper decks forward viewing areas are repurposed to cabins and Sanctuary from Lotus Spa, gym, outside walk-around area!

Yup.  That was somewhat disappointing on the Discovery.

• Like 1

Princess loyalists - consider sailing on the Pinnacle class of HAL ships (Koningsdam, Niuew Statendam, Rotterdam).  For what they are and have, I think they are nearly the perfect evolution of the Grand class ships.  It's not exactly the same as the Princess experience but if the design and ship experience means a lot to you, definitely consider it:

Similarities:

Crooners = Billboard onboard

Intl Cafe = Grand dutch cafe (with some differences)

Burger Bar = Dive In burgers

MUTS = poolside movie screen in covered dome

Terrace pool = sea view pool

Crown grill = Pinnacle Grill

Staff is great on both

Improvements of P-class vs Grand Class

NY Deli & Pizza (with a great breakfast menu)

2 level covered pool area

Crows Nest/Explorations cafe

actual jogging track with a good size sport court

Tamarind

World stage

Promenade circles the whole ship on the same level, but is a bit tight in places - about the same as the grand class

Family cabins on main deck are a great option for families or groups of 3 or 4 travelling together with double bathroom

Shortcomings of P-class vs Grand class

Roughly the same capacity (original Grand class), but a bit smaller

Movies on the big screen are usually someone non mainstream, but typically very good

No free spa area pool

Caneletto is good, but not as good as Sabatini's and tucked into corner of the buffet

Vista suites are a downgrade from the size and amenities of mini-suites

Activities can be limited in the evening.

I'm sure some may disagree but I've found these ships and the Grand class ships to have many commonalities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...