Live 7N Discovery Princess Picture Review April 10, 2022

crusinthrough

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

When we arrived at the pier 93 parking lot we asked an attendant about monthly parking. He directed us to another exit booth. We parked the car and walked over. BTW at 10 am there was a lot of parking within easy walking distance of the pier.  The attendant at the exit was really helpful and got our card ($25 one time fee) set up and we paid $90 for this month’s parking. The parking cycles on the first of the month. This is a lot cheaper than paying the $20 per day rate. When we come back in September and November  we will just pay the $90 for each month. She gave us a phone number to call to prepay it so we can just use our card to swipe in and swipe out. 

Thanks for your report. I hope to be aboard next week. Could you share that parking prepay phone number, please?

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Our waitress Patricia was excellent. You can just tell those that have been doing this awhile.  So professional and charming.

My wife first met her in the Horizon Bistro while she was scrapbooking…a very friendly & helpful waitress. She was in the section behind us so we didn’t have her but had two great waiters near the entrance…Marvin & Mark…M&M. ☺️

Have you heard if there’ll be any Chef Table or Winemakers Dinner? An assistant restaurant manager said insufficient wine inventory & a delayed shipment of special dinnerware were the reasons why it was unavailable. The WM Dinner is one of our favorite dining experiences (our other favorite the UBD was also not available) for our milestone anniversary cruise.

I thought I had posted a questions to the OP, but it isn't showing so I will hope this goes through.

I have a questions on the parking at Pier 93 for the monthly repaid.  Where was the parking attendant that you signed up with and got your card ?

54 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

My wife first met her in the Horizon Bistro while she was scrapbooking…a very friendly & helpful waitress. She was in the section behind us so we didn’t have her but had two great waiters near the entrance…Marvin & Mark…M&M. ☺️

Have you heard if there’ll be any Chef Table or Winemakers Dinner? An assistant restaurant manager said insufficient wine inventory & a delayed shipment of special dinnerware were the reasons why it was unavailable. The WM Dinner is one of our favorite dining experiences (our other favorite the UBD was also not available) for our milestone anniversary cruise.

No chef table or winemaker’s dinner this week. We asked. 
They are out of a few wines so far as well. Only one brand of cab that we have found, a bartender told us the others are all out. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cmorgeng said:

They are out of a few wines so far as well. Only one brand of cab that we have found, a bartender told us the others are all out. 

Thanks…once in the Med when a shipping container with wine was delayed they purchased wine in Italy. With so much wine produced in CA it would be good to buy some of it…or to make a Costco run. ☺️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cmorgeng said:

They told me the same thing.  Very disappointed, as I really wanted to try the Chef's Table on a Royal class ship.  Oh well, I'm on the Majestic in a few weeks.  I do wish they'd worked on fixing that in the days they were in San Pedro before the first sailing.

11 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

When we arrived at the pier 93 parking lot we asked an attendant about monthly parking. He directed us to another exit booth. We parked the car and walked over. BTW at 10 am there was a lot of parking within easy walking distance of the pier.  The attendant at the exit was really helpful and got our card ($25 one time fee) set up and we paid $90 for this month’s parking. The parking cycles on the first of the month. This is a lot cheaper than paying the $20 per day rate. When we come back in September and November  we will just pay the $90 for each month. She gave us a phone number to call to prepay it so we can just use our card to swipe in and swipe out. 

We dropped off the luggage and got to check in for our 10:30 arrival time.  It was pretty crowded and the green lane was beyond the area they had roped off so we were sent to a blue lane. The suite and elite lines were much shorter but on this sailing we did not use our elite status to check in. Just doing some research. It took 40 minutes to get to the counter and 30 seconds to show our docs and be on our way. 

The security line was very short and we zipped right through. The wine desk was set up and we charged our $15 per bottle corkage for the bottles over our allowed 2 to the room. Boarding had just begun for elites and suites.  Here we did use our elite status- that check in line was enough research into the non elite life for now.  By 11:15 we were on board. 

We went up to our mid ship Marina deck mini suite and dropped off our carryons. The room wasn’t ready so we quickly cleared out of the stewards way and headed to the sanctuary.  There was a line of about 8-10 groups already. They had attendants that took orders for drinks and water so that was nice. We got to the sanctuary by 11:30 and we were at the front of the line by 12:15. It took only a few minutes to secure a cabana for 5 of the 6 days we wanted and then it was down to Gigis for lunch. 

Gigis had a line of about 10-15 people.  The walkway was pretty narrow with a lot of people walking through. The folks in line with us (everywhere - check in, sanctuary and here) were very nice.  But waiting for Gigis was waaay too close packed for me with no masking and no distance between us. I’m trusting my n95 and my two boostered immune system to keep me Covid free so I can board the Ruby on the 23rd. 

The staff in Gigis were hustling and doing a great job….cheerful (Magdelina our hostess is just super sweet), the pizza and wine were excellent. 

My impressions overall so far, this ship is gorgeous, the crew wonderful and the food very good. The ap has been touch and go. It doesn’t work more often than it does. But we did order room service drinks to our cabin. I was able to order two 24 K margaritas and 2 glasses of wine and there was no charge (we have the beverage package). They arrived in 20 minutes. The bed is fine…..I thought it just felt like my Princess bed when it was brand new. I slept great in it. 

Of course as always posting to CC is a nightmare. Remember to copy your work in a notepad so you don’t lose it. Clearing my cookies and history under settings seems to work. 

When we asked at booth about the parking

we were informed it is for employees and workers only.

can you share the phone number please?  TIA

Edited by that

13 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

When we arrived at the pier 93 parking lot we asked an attendant about monthly parking. He directed us to another exit booth. The attendant at the exit was really helpful and got our card ($25 one time fee) set up and we paid $90 for this month’s parking. The parking cycles on the first of the month. When we come back in September and November  we will just pay the $90 for each month. She gave us a phone number to call to prepay it so we can just use our card to swipe in and swipe out.

@HaveDogWillTravelThank you for another informational review. If I understand correctly, for monthly parking, I can purchase the monthly parking card for $25 at any exit booth , prepay $90 for the current month, no autopay, the card never expire even though not used every month?

Did you bring Stanley? Love your Stanley post last time.

Thanks,

April

8 hours ago, roxievegas said:

I thought I had posted a questions to the OP, but it isn't showing so I will hope this goes through.

I have a questions on the parking at Pier 93 for the monthly repaid.  Where was the parking attendant that you signed up with and got your card ?

I did not park at the pier.  Maybe someone who parked there can chime in. 

As it turns out it's easy to sign onto another device.  Type "login.com" on the new device and enter stateroom number.  Pictures are not downloading.  Neither Cruise Critic nor Princess want me to be great. 😬

Edited by crusinthrough
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

As it turns out it's easy to sign onto another device.  Type "login.com" on the new device and enter stateroom number.  Pictures are not downloading.  Neither Cruise Critic nor Princess want me to be great. 😬

YES.  The login.com address was that only way I was able to connect AT ALL on the pre-inaugural.  

7 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

@HaveDogWillTravelThank you for another informational review. If I understand correctly, for monthly parking, I can purchase the monthly parking card for $25 at any exit booth , prepay $90 for the current month, no autopay, the card never expire even though not used every month?

Did you bring Stanley? Love your Stanley post last time.

Thanks,

April

April you are 100 % correct in how it worked for us yesterday.  And thank you so much for carefully reading my earlier post. It is so hard to post once at sea. We really can’t come back on easily to reiterate an earlier post.

yes Stanley is onboard and so is my PVP who gave him to me. I’ve told him it’s all his fault that thread got started so we will be doing some fun stuff with Stanley and crew. I’ll take some pics with this incredibly wonderful crew in the days to come. 

@latserrof  The number I was given is 213-259-9739

It is my understanding you have to get the card in person but who knows? Give them a call. 

@that I was not asked if I worked there and in fact made it clear this was strictly for cruising.  

ughh small screaming (the high pitched nails on chalkboard kind of) children live next door and destroy my peaceful balcony time. (But not my cruise)

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

Mid ship marina deck mini suite. While I will not book this suite again others might actually love it. Remember not everyone loves strawberries!

We have at least a 12 ft overhang above us. 

At night it is lit up with blue LEDs. 

It has a pitifully small balcony.  

It has room darkening curtains at the balcony door and also ones that separate the living room 3 cushion couch from the bedroom. 

Noise 

First night we were kept awake aaaalllll night by little bang, little bang, little bang, soft bang, 12 , 13, 14++ times finally drift to sleep and LOUD A## bang whaaaaat?. This cycle was repeated HOURLY when I did drift off it became a drift into Friday the 13th type nightmares. Not the most auspicious start. And seriously? I’m not an inexperienced cruiser. I love aft cabins.  I don’t mind the creaks, the vent noises, all that is fine.  This was right behind our heads in the wall. to be continued….. 

First night there was elevator music playing somewhere that we could clearly hear on our balcony all night long. As you know I was awakened every hour and so went to the balcony multiple times through out the night.  It was Loud enough that we could not hear the sea……seriously why else am I at sea if not to hear it, smell, feel it?  Long story short I had a great day in a sanctuary cabana with multiple naps and such a great crew that I am now at 1 am on the balcony (after what I call first sleep awaiting second sleep) on our second night and happy to report no more elevator music. 

However for both nights so far from around 10 pm thru midnight there is a lot of banging and stomping noises coming from above. 

You can be heard by neighbors and will hear all neighbors who are  on the balconies on either side of you. That huge overhand traps the sound and amplifies it. 

I am loving this cruise and have had so many great interactions with passengers and crew. No one has made me feel bad for wearing my n95 even though there’s virtually no passengers wearing them. Many do wear cloth or surgical but just as many wear nothing. I’m just as open and friendly as before. And I’ve found everyone to be accepting and nonjudgmental.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

April you are 100 % correct in how it worked for us yesterday.  And thank you so much for carefully reading my earlier post. It is so hard to post once at sea. We really can’t come back on easily to reiterate an earlier post.

yes Stanley is onboard and so is my PVP who gave him to me. I’ve told him it’s all his fault that thread got started so we will be doing some fun stuff with Stanley and crew. I’ll take some pics with this incredibly wonderful crew in the days to come. 

@latserrof  The number I was given is 213-259-9739

It is my understanding you have to get the card in person but who knows? Give them a call. 

@that I was not asked if I worked there and in fact made it clear this was strictly for cruising.  

ughh small screaming (the high pitched nails on chalkboard kind of) children live next door and destroy my peaceful balcony time. (But not my cruise)

Thank you

The banging in our room did not happen last night. Lovely restful night. I personally don’t like that I have to sleep with the blackout curtains drawn to get away from the blue lights. I like to wake up with the sunrise. I am going to start setting alarm in order to stop sleeping so late. I don’t like alarms. But I hate sleeping late more. 

We love Magdalena our restaurant supervisor in Gigis.  She is an absolute pro, calm under pressure, charming and so accommodating.  Gigis has alfresco dining on port days that we taken advantage of. With planning we have had a great time, eaten well, had lots of great drinks and laughs, met plenty of people and crew and stayed out of crowded spaces (except for embarkation day…….lines everywhere). 

We do not attend any shows at all & no group activities indoors.  Don’t miss any of it for all the wonderful people connections we’ve made and the great wildlife so far. 

9E3805F2-63F0-4489-A834-21F0541C8539.jpeg

59590A5C-1BDC-40CC-9195-CC29ECF26F1B.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

28 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

The banging in our room did not happen last night. Lovely restful night. I personally don’t like that I have to sleep with the blackout curtains drawn to get away from the blue lights. I like to wake up with the sunrise. I am going to start setting alarm in order to stop sleeping so late. I don’t like alarms. But I hate sleeping late more. 

We love Magdalena our restaurant supervisor in Gigis.  She is an absolute pro, calm under pressure, charming and so accommodating.  Gigis has alfresco dining on port days that we taken advantage of. With planning we have had a great time, eaten well, had lots of great drinks and laughs, met plenty of people and crew and stayed out of crowded spaces (except for embarkation day…….lines everywhere). 

We do not attend any shows at all & no group activities indoors.  Don’t miss any of it for all the wonderful people connections we’ve made and the great wildlife so far. 

She is wonderful!  I ate outside as well when we were in Puerto Vallarta on the 3/27 cruise.  Wishing I was still on that beauty of a ship!

42 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We have balcony cabins booked in his midship area for an Alaskan cruise. Your description of the blue lighting is concerning. How bothersome is the lighting? Any chance of a picture or video to show the lighting?